+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada - Settling in Help

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Hi All

I did soft landing in 2019. Now I am planning to permanently relocate to Toronto Canada. For this I need a couple of information points

a) I will only need Passport and the PR card to travel to Canada right? Any other documents/Formalities?
b) I did soft landing on November 1. Now to apply for the Ontario Health card, how long will be the wait time? In the mean while, what Medical Health insurance shall me and my spouse opt for while we are in canada? Which vendors I shall pick up insurance from?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a) boarding pass
b) travel insurance for visitors of Canada covering medical for the first few months before provincial Heath are kicks in.

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
b) travel insurance for visitors of Canada covering medical for the first few months before provincial Heath are kicks in.
I was advised on this forum not to rely on travel insurance. If something happens, the insurance company will attempt to repatriate to your home country.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
Yes I was advised the same. So what insurance shall I take in Canada for first few months?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was advised on this forum not to rely on travel insurance. If something happens, the insurance company will attempt to repatriate to your home country.
@NiSn It depends what company you buy. I always buy visitor insurance for my MIL and the insurance company never attempt to repatriate to her home country. They sent us a Canadian cheque afterwards.

JayashreeGowda

Nov 18, 2018
Hi,
I am planning for a soft landing in march and I have couple of questions

1. How long should we stay when we do a soft landing
2. I live in US, can I just go on a weekend trip and come back?
3. I know people speak about generating SIN and creating bank account, will those be available during weekends?

Thanks in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am planning for a soft landing in march and I have couple of questions

1. How long should we stay when we do a soft landing
2. I live in US, can I just go on a weekend trip and come back?
3. I know people speak about generating SIN and creating bank account, will those be available during weekends?

Thanks in advance
1) It depends if you want to wait for your PR card. Otherwise, you can return to US on the next hour
2) Yes, you can
3) Some banks are open during weekends. I'm not sure you get SIN during weekends.