+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada on US Passport via Land Border After Oath?

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here ever travelled to the US after their oath ceremony before they get their Canadian passport and then traveled back to Canada on the US passport via a land border?

Our oath in on January 10th, and we need to be in the US for a meeting on the 12th in a town just over the border. Wondering if we can get back into Canada with our US passport, or if it will present problems at the border.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following should also apply at a land PoE as well, replacing `fly to Canada' with `drive to Canada'. LOL!

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1167&top=16

I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of another country. Can I fly to Canada with my non-Canadian passport?

No. Canadians citizens, including dual citizens, need to fly to Canada with a valid Canadian passport.
Special circumstances:
Flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport
You can apply for a special authorization that, if approved, will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport.
American-Canadians
You don’t need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to fly to Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport. American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.
---

Last edited:

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
The following should also apply at a land PoE as well, replacing `fly to Canada' with `drive to Canada'. LOL!

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1167&top=16

I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of another country. Can I fly to Canada with my non-Canadian passport?

No. Canadians citizens, including dual citizens, need to fly to Canada with a valid Canadian passport.
Special circumstances:
Flying in a few days or at the airport without a Canadian passport
You can apply for a special authorization that, if approved, will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport.
American-Canadians
You don’t need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to fly to Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport. American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.
---
Seems like as dual US-Canadian citizens we'll be okay then!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neither!

A 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb of 66 Vibrochamp.
Nice! I go between my `59 Tweed Deluxe and a Bogner 101B.

But, we both know that the real tone, comes from the player...no matter what we're playing through.