+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada on PR immigrant visa; Passport Expiry in 2 months

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not sure that Canada has any 3 or 6 month rule other than a valid passport but that does not mean to say either any transit point or even the airline might not have some blanket rule and if you have ever tried arguing with a checkin agent you will know this not easy. Start by checking with the airline

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi All,
Glad to inform you that I got my COPR on 29th of October. Thanks to all of you for your guidance and motivational words. Below is my timeline:
AOR:30 March
PPR:17th October
COPR:29th October
--
Further, I have a query regarding the possibilities of landing based on expiry date of my passport. We are planning to travel in March (before the visa expiry). However, my passport will expire in June (i.e., 3 months validity from our travel). Can we travel/land three months prior to the passport expiry or we need to have at least 6 months validity of passport?? Also, what if I opt for re-issuing my passport? What if the old passport and new passports have different addresses? What are the possible solutions in this case?? Anyone who has encountered this situation or who knows about it, please guide.
1. Canada doesn't have a 3 or 6 month rule. As long as your passport is valid and your COPR is valid you are fine.

May 20, 2020
Hello All,

I have received Canadian PR immigrant visa on May 1, 2012 New Delhi, India but my passport Expiry is in 25 Aug 2012.
Since my passport is expiring on 25 Aug 2012; I got Visa expiry date 25 Aug 2012.
I plan to travel from Mumbai, India to Toronto, Canada on last week of July, 2012. But, I came to know that one cannot travel during last 6 six months when your passport is about to expire.
In my case, it's an immigrant visa (PR) one time entry visa. Can you please advice if I will have any issues to travel in July 2012 ( last 2 months of passport expiry) to Canada? Is there any letter (clearance letter) that I need to get from Canada or India Embassy for this travel?

Please advice. Thank you very much for your time.
Hi,

We are in similar situation and just wanted to know what did you do? Did they let you board the flight from India?

maverick1

Oct 23, 2019
Hi Members

I have a query although the issue is a little different than what the discussion has been going on.

Need Information and suggestion !!

I have a situation as I , my wife and my 11 years old daughter are PR's of Canada since 30th Sep'2017. We landed in Sep'17 and after staying in Canada till 3rd Nov '17 went back to India.

Now we have come back to Canada in Feb'20 and have settled permanently in Canada.

Suggestion I want is regarding names mentioned on the PR card's of my wife and 12 year old daughter. Names on previous Indian passports of my wife and daughter were mentioned in the given name column

Family / Surname Name: BLANK
Given Name: AAAAA SINGH

and accordingly the PR card's of my wife and daughter had their names as given names.

Now after getting the passports of my daughter & wife renewed in India in 2019 , the correction has been made i.e.

Family / Surname Name: Singh
Given Name: AAAAA

but the PR cards continue to have their names as given names.

1) As we need to travel to India for an emergency , will it pose any problems by airlines while returning back .Although we have already travelled to Canada in Feb '2020 in the same scenario.
2) How do I get the correction made .

Please share your inputs.

Thanks !!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Members

I have a query although the issue is a little different than what the discussion has been going on.

Need Information and suggestion !!

I have a situation as I , my wife and my 11 years old daughter are PR's of Canada since 30th Sep'2017. We landed in Sep'17 and after staying in Canada till 3rd Nov '17 went back to India.

Now we have come back to Canada in Feb'20 and have settled permanently in Canada.

Suggestion I want is regarding names mentioned on the PR card's of my wife and 12 year old daughter. Names on previous Indian passports of my wife and daughter were mentioned in the given name column

Family / Surname Name: BLANK
Given Name: AAAAA SINGH

and accordingly the PR card's of my wife and daughter had their names as given names.

Now after getting the passports of my daughter & wife renewed in India in 2019 , the correction has been made i.e.

Family / Surname Name: Singh
Given Name: AAAAA

but the PR cards continue to have their names as given names.

1) As we need to travel to India for an emergency , will it pose any problems by airlines while returning back .Although we have already travelled to Canada in Feb '2020 in the same scenario.
2) How do I get the correction made .

Please share your inputs.

Thanks !!
What emergency to have the whole family for traveling? Can you not wait until everyone at least get their vaccine? Btw, what status your 2 year old?

maverick1

Oct 23, 2019
What emergency to have the whole family for traveling? Can you not wait until everyone at least get their vaccine? Btw, what status your 2 year old?
@ Steaky ..My mother is not well .Secondly , cannot comprehend "Btw, what status your 2 year old?"

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Steaky ..My mother is not well .Secondly , cannot comprehend "Btw, what status your 2 year old?"
But why can't you travel alone? From one of your old post, one of your child was born in 2019. What is this child's status?

maverick1

Oct 23, 2019
But why can't you travel alone? From one of your old post, one of your child was born in 2019. What is this child's status?
Old people insist that they want to meet their grand children especially when they are not well. She was born in 2020 and is a Canadian citizen.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Old people insist that they want to meet their grand children especially when they are not well. She was born in 2020 and is a Canadian citizen.
You will do the best for them and for your family. Bringing in a young child on a long flight may not be the best for the kid nor the grandparent. (kids could very well carry the virus and show no symptom and it's hard for them to practice any of the safe behaviour)

It's up to you but I think it may be best if you can travel alone for the visit.

maverick1

Oct 23, 2019
You will do the best for them and for your family. Bringing in a young child on a long flight may not be the best for the kid nor the grandparent. (kids could very well carry the virus and show no symptom and it's hard for them to practice any of the safe behaviour)

It's up to you but I think it may be best if you can travel alone for the visit.
Appreciate your concern & suggestion. What to do in the above case ..how to get the the correction done for future? Any precedence in the group which was / is similar to my case .

Thanks !!

varasteh

Jun 27, 2017
Good morning, I am awaiting for a PR entry (landing) visa get affixed on my passport. I will be landing within 6 months from the expiry of my passport, although the passport was submitted prior to getting into the 6 months window. Is this an issue from the IRCC or the airlines point of view?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good morning, I am awaiting for a PR entry (landing) visa get affixed on my passport. I will be landing within 6 months from the expiry of my passport, although the passport was submitted prior to getting into the 6 months window. Is this an issue from the IRCC or the airlines point of view?
Ircc does not care. Check with your airline.

varasteh

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks armoured!
I assume renewing my passport after affixing the landing visa to the older one and before landing will make the landing visa un-valid, correct? i.e. the landing visa shall be on a valid passport at the entry time, correct?