+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada on PR immigrant visa; Passport Expiry in 2 months

Sohum

May 16, 2012
Hello All,

I have received Canadian PR immigrant visa on May 1, 2012 New Delhi, India but my passport Expiry is in 25 Aug 2012.
Since my passport is expiring on 25 Aug 2012; I got Visa expiry date 25 Aug 2012.
I plan to travel from Mumbai, India to Toronto, Canada on last week of July, 2012. But, I came to know that one cannot travel during last 6 six months when your passport is about to expire.
In my case, it's an immigrant visa (PR) one time entry visa. Can you please advice if I will have any issues to travel in July 2012 ( last 2 months of passport expiry) to Canada? Is there any letter (clearance letter) that I need to get from Canada or India Embassy for this travel?

Please advice. Thank you very much for your time.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see why you can't travel with a valid passport even if there is one month or even one day left to expiry. I believe what you are referring to with the six month validity requirement is when someone is traveling to a country as a visitor on a temporary basis. Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months when you enter the country as a visitor. This way immigration is not worried about you being in the country with an expired passport.

Furthermore, once you are a permanent reside of Canada, you are not required to have a valid passport. In other words, you can stay in Canada with an expired passport. Also, I believe you can travel to the country of which you are a passport holder of even with an expired passport, granted that you are not transiting through another country.

I am not an expert and the information I have just provided you is to the best of my knowledge.

chinoy99

Nov 20, 2010
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2001
AOR Received.
12-11-2001
IELTS Request
31-08-2004
Med's Request
22-11-2005
Med's Done....
05-12-2005
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-04-2006
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2006
LANDED..........
24-05-2006
I agree with CanV. There should not be any problem IF you are traveling to Canada on your immigrant Visa / Landing papers with passport expiry of few months!

Regards,

C

rojibobby

Apr 30, 2010
Hi Sohum,

I too have the same problem with my Passport Expiry. It is short of 6 months while I start my journey for Canada.
Could you reach safely to Canada without re-newl of your Passports at India ?
Please guide !!!

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Hi Rojibobby,

Wait for some seniors like Leon, Scylla or steaky to reply. In the meantime following quote from Qorax might be helpful if you plan to renew your passport before landing.

qorax said:
Valid PRV on an Expired Passport ? -No Problem

13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre- IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.

It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).

If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.
Ref: This is the quote from Sec-13.15 of the "Port of Entry Examinations Manual" -ENF 4; dt. 2010-02-23, Page 53
Qorax

rojibobby said:
Hi Sohum,

I too have the same problem with my Passport Expiry. It is short of 6 months while I start my journey for Canada.
Please guide !!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rojibobby said:
Hi Sohum,

Please guide !!!
You guys are confusing Canada, with the US, which requires 6 months validity of the passport on the day you enter the US. Canada doesn't. You can "land" on the last day if you wish, stupid though, especially if your flight is delayed.

sanjaysharma

May 5, 2015
Re: Travel to Canada on PR immigrant visa; Passport Expiry in 5 months

Sohum said:
Hello All,

I have received Canadian PR immigrant visa on May 1, 2012 New Delhi, India but my passport Expiry is in 25 Aug 2012.
Since my passport is expiring on 25 Aug 2012; I got Visa expiry date 25 Aug 2012.
I plan to travel from Mumbai, India to Toronto, Canada on last week of July, 2012. But, I came to know that one cannot travel during last 6 six months when your passport is about to expire.
In my case, it's an immigrant visa (PR) one time entry visa. Can you please advice if I will have any issues to travel in July 2012 ( last 2 months of passport expiry) to Canada? Is there any letter (clearance letter) that I need to get from Canada or India Embassy for this travel?

Please advice. Thank you very much for your time.
I too have the same problem with my son Passport Expiry. It is short of 6 months while I start my journey for Canada.
Could you reach safely to Canada without renewal of your Passports at India ?
Please guide and suggest.

Elsa69

May 11, 2017
Hello

I am a permanent resident Canada. I want to grant my ailing father's wish to see him asap. Can I travel back to Canada with a less than 6 months passport validity. Please

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello

I am a permanent resident Canada. I want to grant my ailing father's wish to see him asap. Can I travel back to Canada with a less than 6 months passport validity. Please
1. Yes, as a PR as long as you return before your passport expires you are fine.

Reactions: PHCA

Elsa69

May 11, 2017
Hello PMM

Thank you for the info. I was told that it is the.airlines decision if they will let me board their aircraft with passort less than 6 months validity and was told "No" by lady who answered my queries.

rvikrant

May 7, 2015
Hi everybody,

I just need your feedback on this scenario, where my parents planning to travel Canada on visitor visa (15 August - 26 October' 2017). They have the passport valid till 15 Nov' 2017 and there visitor visa will expire on 10 Nov' 2017. So there would be any possibility of having trouble regarding passport validity like I heard about something 6 months rule for Indian passport holder. My parents talked to Canadian embassy in India and they where saying 'no' issue, but i'm not sure? Is there any way I can reach out to Indian immigration?

Thanks

PNPCanada05

Star Member
Apr 22, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
15-09-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Request
19-07-2017
Med's Done....
31-07-2017
Hi everybody,

I just need your feedback on this scenario, where my parents planning to travel Canada on visitor visa (15 August - 26 October' 2017). They have the passport valid till 15 Nov' 2017 and there visitor visa will expire on 10 Nov' 2017. So there would be any possibility of having trouble regarding passport validity like I heard about something 6 months rule for Indian passport holder. My parents talked to Canadian embassy in India and they where saying 'no' issue, but i'm not sure? Is there any way I can reach out to Indian immigration?

Thanks

No issues for Canada. 6 months passport expiry rule applies to some countries including USA. I arrived in canada with 4 months passport validity and then renewed it here. Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No issues for Canada. 6 months passport expiry rule applies to some countries including USA. I arrived in canada with 4 months passport validity and then renewed it here. Thanks
Always though check with the airline as sometimes they can invent their own rules on passport validity.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Hi

1. Yes, as a PR as long as you return before your passport expires you are fine.
Hi PMM!
Same thing here. My passport will expire in May 2018 and I need to go back to Manila in March 2018 just for 3 weeks though. I will also just apply for PRTD in Manila in case I don't get my PR card before I leave.

Do you think I'll have an issue with my passport validity upon entering Canada?
Also, does anyone here know how long does it take to process PRTD in Manila?