+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel restrictions for spouse

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hello I'd like to understand the travel restrictions to the applicant's spouse, where the main applicant and spouse (shown as dependent in the same application) have both received PR as protected person, and assume they have also both received the home-country passports back.

1. Can the spouse travel back to home country as the spouse is no longer in fear of the main applicant being prosecuted since the main applicant is already in Canada?
2. Can the spouse use the home-country passport to travel to a 3rd country (e.g. USA) with valid visa and return back to Canada? I'm aware of the RTD option but right now the non-urgent process has not resumed since Covid. (it's non-urgent by official definition but the level of urgency is also a subjective matter)

Please note that in both scenarios the main applicant remains in Canada the entire time.

I know using home-country passport is not recommended but I just wanted to know the implications (preferably from 1st hand experience) to the spouse.
If possible I'd like to keep the discussion constructive and informative, please refrain from using speculation or conjecture.

Thanks.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I'd like to understand the travel restrictions to the applicant's spouse, where the main applicant and spouse (shown as dependent in the same application) have both received PR as protected person, and assume they have also both received the home-country passports back.

1. Can the spouse travel back to home country as the spouse is no longer in fear of the main applicant being prosecuted since the main applicant is already in Canada?
2. Can the spouse use the home-country passport to travel to a 3rd country (e.g. USA) with valid visa and return back to Canada? I'm aware of the RTD option but right now the non-urgent process has not resumed since Covid. (it's non-urgent by official definition but the level of urgency is also a subjective matter)

Please note that in both scenarios the main applicant remains in Canada the entire time.

I know using home-country passport is not recommended but I just wanted to know the implications (preferably from 1st hand experience) to the spouse.
If possible I'd like to keep the discussion constructive and informative, please refrain from using speculation or conjecture.

Thanks.
1. Not without risk of losing their status in Canada.
2. Again they risk losing their status. Have they checked whether their US visa is still valid?

The big issue is the fact that they’re on longterm implications. Issues often only become apparent when the person attempts to apply for citizenship. Returning to your home country would certainly be considered much worse than using your home country passport but would not suggest either. Your wife may not still have a valid US visa so that would be something I would check first.

roopani

Jun 14, 2017
Hi.All
Please any one reply
We (Me and my wife)applied asylum in canada and got PR in canada
My question that after getting PR can we go back home for visit.
Please reply asap
Best regards

roopani

Jun 14, 2017
Hi.All
Please any one reply
My question that after getting PR my wife can go back home for visit and will not have any issues returning canada
Please reply asap
Best regards

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi.All
Please any one reply
Please reply asap
Best regards
No you can not go back to your country of origin until when you become a citizen

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi.All
Please any one reply
My question that after getting PR my wife can go back home for visit and will not have any issues returning canada
Please reply asap
Best regards
Your wife can not as well provided she was inside Canada and was in your application [Associate Claimant]

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi.All
Please any one reply
Please reply asap
Best regards
No. That country is off limits until Citizenship is obtained .
It’s the reason you applied for asylum, thus subsequently, the reason you obtained your PR .
It’s verboten

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.All
Please any one reply
Please reply asap
Best regards
The answer hasn’t changed since you asked in 2022. Your best option is to try and visit in a neighbouring country to your home country. Your family will have to meet you in the 3rd country.

Hws24

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Can overseas dependent when they receive pr and land in canada still use their home country passport and visit home country if they want. Main applicant in Canada and not using passport or travelling.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can overseas dependent when they receive pr and land in canada still use their home country passport and visit home country if they want. Main applicant in Canada and not using passport or travelling.
Yes they can travel to their home country if the douse wasn’t part of the asylum claim

Reactions: kumarkit

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
1. Not without risk of losing their status in Canada.
2. Again they risk losing their status. Have they checked whether their US visa is still valid?

The big issue is the fact that they’re on longterm implications. Issues often only become apparent when the person attempts to apply for citizenship. Returning to your home country would certainly be considered much worse than using your home country passport but would not suggest either. Your wife may not still have a valid US visa so that would be something I would check first.
Hi I perfectly understand that traveling back to home country is at high risk of losing the PR status. I have a follow-question about traveling to the US with a still valid US visa in the home country passport.

- Does the valid US visa automatically become invalid because of the Canada Protected Person application?

- What are the long-term implications on citizenship application, i.e. is there a section on the application form specifically asks if you have ever used your home country passport after getting the PR, and if you say yes then IRCC will deny the citizenship application?

I have no problem to use RTD, actually we have already applied for it, it's just that the non-urgent document usually only takes 20 days to process, but it's been almost a year since we applied the RTD and still no updates.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I perfectly understand that traveling back to home country is at high risk of losing the PR status. I have a follow-question about traveling to the US with a still valid US visa in the home country passport.

- Does the valid US visa automatically become invalid because of the Canada Protected Person application?

- What are the long-term implications on citizenship application, i.e. is there a section on the application form specifically asks if you have ever used your home country passport after getting the PR, and if you say yes then IRCC will deny the citizenship application?

I have no problem to use RTD, actually we have already applied for it, it's just that the non-urgent document usually only takes 20 days to process, but it's been almost a year since we applied the RTD and still no updates.
The US visa is sometimes invalidated. I wouldn't say this happens automatically. Sometimes it's invalidated and sometimes it isn't. If someone crosses the border from the US to Canada to claim asylum, any valid visa is generally invalidated by the US.

There is a detailed cessation thread in the Citizenship section of the forum that discusses this. Based on how IRCC is evaluating cases now, it appears that using your home country passport does not impact citizenship provided you don't return to your home country. If you return to your home country / country of persecution at any time before you have citizenshp, that's what causes problems and can result in PR status being revoked.

Reactions: chelavnzuo

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

If you had valid visa by the time you claim refugee status, your US visa will be invalidated. It can happen automatic or during info sharing

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
If you had valid visa by the time you claim refugee status, your US visa will be invalidated. It can happen automatic or during info sharing
agree recently one of my friend applied for US visa and they explained him his previous visa was invalidated which they cancelled and issue new visa

Reactions: chelavnzuo