+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel permission to Canada for family reunion.

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Hello all,
I and wife (having valid multiple entry visiter visas and passports) want to visit and stay for 6 months with my son's family, (PR status) in Canada to assist them as our daughter in law is expecting a child.
I need clarification whether the purpose of our visit will be considered as non-optional and we will be allowed to travel?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You would need written authorization from IRCC, I believe. Further:

However, their travel must still be non-optional and non-discretionary.
Unsure if your purpose of travel is non-optional and non-discretionary.

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
You would need written authorization from IRCC, I believe. Further:

Unsure if your purpose of travel is non-optional and non-discretionary.
Yes. That's the point I need a clarification.
I wonder if Delhi High commission, will clarify?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes. That's the point I need a clarification.
I wonder if Delhi High commission, will clarify?
The easiest way to get a clarification is to apply for the written authorization. If you are refused, you have your answer.

I doubt they will clarify outside of an application.

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
The easiest way to get a clarification is to apply for the written authorization. If you are refused, you have your answer.

I doubt they will clarify outside of an application.
Thanks a lot for yr reply.
Agree. But i recently read on IRCC website that close relatives of a PR don't need a written authorisation if their stay is more than 15 days. Written authorisation is needed if relative in Canada is temporary.
i can send u the link. Pl send email address.
(in fact no need to prove that yr visit is non optional)

Reactions: Jazzysgh

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don't give out email addresses because I'm not a consultant. You can try to get airplane tickets, then. See what happens.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Even with this guidance you still need to be ready to persuade the checkin agent that you meet the criteria to travel given even showing the documentation as described in the guidance checkin agents are not always fully briefed. Also of course still need to follow the isolation plan guidance and if you do not have an isolation plan the guidance for that is should not travel to Canada. You should read the isolation plan guidance and be prepared to have minimal contact with the family you are visiting for the 14 days.

There is some speculation that the government may announce some further updates to COVID travel guidance this week given some of the existing guidance had an expiry date of 6/30 but thats only speculation.

Last edited:

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Even with this guidance you still need to be ready to persuade the checkin agent that you meet the criteria to travel given even showing the documentation as described in the guidance checkin agents are not always fully briefed. Also of course still need to follow the isolation plan guidance and if you do not have an isolation plan the guidance for that is should not travel to Canada. You should read the isolation plan guidance and be prepared to have minimal contact with the family you are visiting for the 14 days.

There is some speculation that the government may announce some further updates to COVID travel guidance this week given some of the existing guidance had an expiry date of 6/30 but thats only speculation.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Applying soon for permission.
Will let u know.

Last edited:

Ajvayani

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

My wife has PR status and she wants to travel to Canada but I am worried about her living over there alone due to pandemic situation. Is this a valid reason to get TRV?

Thanks in advance.

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Hello everyone,

My wife has PR status and she wants to travel to Canada but I am worried about her living over there alone due to pandemic situation. Is this a valid reason to get TRV?

Thanks in advance.
1.Pl. give more details. Has yr wife got PR status recently and would be travelling to Canada for the first time?
2. Who ?needs TRV

Ajvayani

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
1.Pl. give more details. Has yr wife got PR status recently and would be travelling to Canada for the first time?
2. Who ?needs TRV
No. She got PR couple of years ago and been to Canada twice during semester break as she was studying here in Pakistan. I want to apply for TRV for myself because I do not let her live there alone as she might need me in this situation.

raj789singh

Apr 21, 2016
India
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
New Delhi
No. She got PR couple of years ago and been to Canada twice during semester break as she was studying here in Pakistan. I want to apply for TRV for myself because I do not let her live there alone as she might need me in this situation.
1. She can sponsor you to Canada for PR.
2.Also you can apply for TRV to meet her in Canada( but i am not sure this can be done while she is not in Canada).
U can find these on their site.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
It can be very challenging for a the spouse of a PR to get a TRV given there is generally a suspicion that the spouse on a TRV will not leave Canada at the end of their authorised stay and will try living in Canada on a TRV. By all means you can try but you need to demonstrate in the application soild intention to return back to your home country. Of course COVID adds another complication in getting any approval.

Ultimately your spouse should sponsor you for PR but cannot do that from outside of Canada. Also she should continue to be aware that she needs to spend at least 2 years in 5 years since landing in Canada else risk losing her PR status. After first 5 years the 5 years becomes a rolling 5 years where needs to show 2 years residency in 5 years preceding each new entry into the country.