+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel (non-immigrant) visa to USA for Canadian Permanent Resident

RamR

Apr 16, 2008
Miryam said:
Only in Montréal and Vancouver the DS-160 is being used and it is a substitution for the DS-156, DS-156K, DS-157, DS-158 and DS-3032 forms. In Vancouver and Montréal the US Consulates started using it on October 22nd, 2008.

The question on DS-160 is if the applicant has a communicable disease, and the question on DS-156 is if the applicant had a communicable disease at some point.

Since she is applying in Toronto, she will use the DS-156, where the question is "Have you ever been afflicted with a communicable disease of public health significance or a dangerous physical or mental disorder, or ever been a drug abuser or addict?". She has had TB, even though she is cured, therefore the answer to this specific question is "Yes".
Well, my wife just had her second appointment today. She went with a lot of extra information and documents. In addition to the required documents she went with the following; a letter from me, a letter from my parents, a letter from my employer, a letter from our doctor, pictures of us together since 2003, travel reservations, a pay stub (of mine), my passport and other photocopied ID's of mine. The customs agent just briefly looked at these and gave her the visa. The agent was much more pleasant (according to my wife) than the previous one... maybe it's just a luck of the draw that you might get someone who had a bad night the night before or a bad day.

So, she's had a good result. We're just concerned that they might just give her a single entry. She explained to the agent that she would want it for more than one occasion but there is no where in the application or interview where you request a particular type of visa.

By the way, in Toronto now they use the DS-160 form that gets filled out online.

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
hi

I am a canadian pr working in canada since 4 months, i want to visit my friend who lives in USA. what is the procedure to apply visiting visa from canada

thanks

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
Hi folks,

I have a question, i want to apply USA visit visa, I am a canadian PR( got oct 2009) and working in govt sector, I moved canada in nov 2009 and got job at the same time.

my background: i did master is USA and after that i worked on H1b for 2 years( i still have valid h1b( I797) but no stamping in my passport), totally i stayed 5 years in USA.

What are my chances for getting Visiting visa with multiple entries, I want to visit my friends nad relatives in USA

I need you valuble inputs

top2

Nov 18, 2008
hello my friend he want to go to USA to attend wedding, he is a canadian PR , he did apply for US visa online (ds-160) and all date is booked in calgary is it possible to book interview to ottawa or toronto if they have open date? thx

May 11, 2010
Hi, i'm new form canada. I've been here from Nov.1, 2009. I'm a PR of Canada. Currently i'm 15 year's old. I need to go to U.S. To compete in DCI(Music Competition). We already know what to do and what to apply. Now we want to know how many days to approve the "Non-Immigrant Visa". Thanks.

RamR

Apr 16, 2008
marlouiegene18 said:
Hi, i'm new form canada. I've been here from Nov.1, 2009. I'm a PR of Canada. Currently i'm 15 year's old. I need to go to U.S. To compete in DCI(Music Competition). We already know what to do and what to apply. Now we want to know how many days to approve the "Non-Immigrant Visa". Thanks.
Once you get your appointment and go through the interview process it should only take a couple of days for them to mail your passport back to you with the visa in it. That was our experience anyway. If you mention to them your situation they should be able to give you a more accurate indication. Making the interview appointment as far in advance of your travel date as possible is probably a good idea none the less.

Good luck.

Mostafa_Adam

Mar 3, 2012
Hi guys, I'm a new Permanent Residential I reached Canada at 22nd of February 2013, I work for an American employer, I applied for a B1 visa at Toronto embassy to attend a conference with my employer ,, that time they gave me a yellow paper called 221g "Waiver for intelligibility" it is more than 4 months now and I haven't received the visa, when I contacted the embassy they said "It is out of our control and you have to wait till we contact you". Anybody knows how long it may take? and what could be the reason?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Mostafa_Adam said:
Hi guys, I'm a new Permanent Residential I reached Canada at 22nd of February 2013, I work for an American employer, I applied for a B1 visa at Toronto embassy to attend a conference with my employer ,, that time they gave me a yellow paper called 221g "Waiver for intelligibility" it is more than 4 months now and I haven't received the visa, when I contacted the embassy they said "It is out of our control and you have to wait till we contact you". Anybody knows how long it may take? and what could be the reason?
I can't answer this question, but I found a webpage with general information about applications for a waiver of ineligibility.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html

It sounds like you're supposed to send money to serve as a bond when you enter the United States. You get the money back if you comply with US immigration laws and leave the country.

I'm not sure what they meant when they said it was out of their hands. It may be that they haven't received a response from USCIS headquarters yet.

According to this page, the system for these applications was centralized in 2012, rather than having the applications evaluated by regional offices.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=8e5b8976a0a77310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

According to this page, the processing time for Form I-601 is about 4 months:

http://cliniclegal.org/news/1304/updates-waiver-adjudication-nsc

Eng_Mtl

Jun 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2017
Nomination.....
SA Email March 19, 2017
AOR Received.
01-03-2017
Med's Request
07-03-2017
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not yet
Hello Everyone,

I have a question, I applied for a B1/B2 business visa at US consulate Montreal and have submitted all my documents. I am a Canadian PR since 2012 and am working in Montreal and the company wants me to travel to US for business purposes.

I have following question:

1) How long does it take for processing ?
2) They have given me a letter stating that my file is undergoing 221 (g) administrative processing, does anyone knows about this ?

Thanks

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Eng_Mtl said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a question, I applied for a B1/B2 business visa at US consulate Montreal and have submitted all my documents. I am a Canadian PR since 2012 and am working in Montreal and the company wants me to travel to US for business purposes.

I have following question:

1) How long does it take for processing ?
2) They have given me a letter stating that my file is undergoing 221 (g) administrative processing, does anyone knows about this ?

Thanks
See linkhttp://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//visas/visas/processing-times.html

Additional admin processing can take up to 60 days as per link. Are you carrying a Pakistani passport? I am assuming based on your avatar? Unfortunately that is a red flag and they'll be doing a thorough background check.

I have freinds who are from Pakistan and you have to be very prepared and leave lots of time when going to the US, the border officers are very wary of letting them through expect a thorough grilling. Remember even with a visa its up to border officer to let you through.

soff

May 22, 2014
Hi my friend,
I'm exactly in the same situation than you (and a holder of an Algerian passport ;)) , my employer requested me to travel to US for business purposes. I'm a canadian permanent resident, I have already submitted my DS-160 and I want to know how long the administrative processing is gonna take.

Thank you a lot! your help is appreciated!

abdoulome

Jan 9, 2014
cute said:
Hi folks,

I have a question, i want to apply USA visit visa, I am a canadian PR( got oct 2009) and working in govt sector, I moved canada in nov 2009 and got job at the same time.

my background: i did master is USA and after that i worked on H1b for 2 years( i still have valid h1b( I797) but no stamping in my passport), totally i stayed 5 years in USA.

What are my chances for getting Visiting visa with multiple entries, I want to visit my friends nad relatives in USA

I need you valuble inputs
Hey Cute!!!
hi, my name is Abdou!! i was going through the posts and i see that you lived in the USA with a h1b visa? i did too , i just moved to Canada from on July 9th 2014 as a Permanent resident and i wanted to know how it is here in canada , did you adjust....? it was hard for me but positive, took me a while 5 months to get a job in my field (Business Analyst). I just wanted to know if you like it here in Canada or not..or r u back to the states? thanks for your reply.
Regards.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abdoulome said:
Hey Cute!!!
hi, my name is Abdou!! i was going through the posts and i see that you lived in the USA with a h1b visa? i did too , i just moved to Canada from on July 9th 2014 as a Permanent resident and i wanted to know how it is here in canada , did you adjust....? it was hard for me but positive, took me a while 5 months to get a job in my field (Business Analyst). I just wanted to know if you like it here in Canada or not..or r u back to the states? thanks for your reply.
Regards.
Do you realize that the post was entered by the individual almost 5 years ago?

abdoulome

Jan 9, 2014
CanV said:
Do you realize that the post was entered by the individual almost 5 years ago?
hey,
yeah I do !just trying to see if he is still around lol , hav nothing to loose as I want to know how is life here n does he like it. just moved here recently. surprising...u r here

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
AAL1984 said:
See linkhttp://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//visas/visas/processing-times.html

Additional admin processing can take up to 60 days as per link. Are you carrying a Pakistani passport? I am assuming based on your avatar? Unfortunately that is a red flag and they'll be doing a thorough background check.

I have freinds who are from Pakistan and you have to be very prepared and leave lots of time when going to the US, the border officers are very wary of letting them through expect a thorough grilling. Remember even with a visa its up to border officer to let you through.
Its always arbitrary. I'm a Pakistani too but I got my passport back with a US visa within 2 days of my appointment at the Consulate General of USA Vancouver.

Since then, I've made 4 entries to the US, 3 of them from the Vancouver side, and one of them departing from Toronto. The officers in Toronto made me go through secondary, but when on Vancouver side (Pacific Highway / Peace Arch crossings), I'm usually waved through in a minute with basic questions.

At Toronto airport you can be sure of a thorough grilling/interview (and wastage of at least 30 mins - 45 mins) - the officers will be very interested about any trips to Pakistan you've made in the past few years, conversely the west coast environment is more relaxed, understanding, accommodating and friendly.