+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel History before becoming a PR

Kate_1435

Nov 10, 2021
Hi, I’m submitting a citizenship application and i’m filling out the physical presence calculator but I’m confused if I need to report my travel history before I became a PR in 2018? I did not have status in Canada prior to becoming a PR.

I was a PR in another country (country A) before landing as a PR in Canada but I barely stayed in country A during 2016-2018 because I traveled a lot due to work. In the physical presence calculator it states that I need to report absence from Canada starting from 2016 to 2021. Do I really need to put in my travel history from 2016-2018 or would it suffice to say that from 2016-2018 I was in country A?

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi, I’m submitting a citizenship application and i’m filling out the physical presence calculator but I’m confused if I need to report my travel history before I became a PR in 2018? I did not have status in Canada prior to becoming a PR.

I was a PR in another country (country A) before landing as a PR in Canada but I barely stayed in country A during 2016-2018 because I traveled a lot due to work. In the physical presence calculator it states that I need to report absence from Canada starting from 2016 to 2021. Do I really need to put in my travel history from 2016-2018 or would it suffice to say that from 2016-2018 I was in country A?
If the first time you landed in Canada was as a PR (i.e. you never visited or lived in Canada before that), then you need to enter only the absences after you landed as PR.

Kate_1435

Nov 10, 2021
Thanks for the response! This what I thought too but in the Physical Presence Calculator FAQ, it states:

Q10: Do I need to declare absences prior to becoming a permanent resident?

A10:
Yes, all absences from Canada during your eligibility period, the five (5) years preceding the date of your application, must be declared. Therefore your absences during your time as a temporary resident or protected person within the eligibility period must be declared as well.
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq

wink

May 25, 2021
Thanks for the response! This what I thought too but in the Physical Presence Calculator FAQ, it states:

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq
That's right. Maybe you are thinking about only your scenario and getting confused. But IRCC has to design the application such that it covers different people in different situations.

Let's assume a scenario in which you came to Canada sometime in 2015 on a temporary work visa and you lived here for couple of years. And let's also assume that you went to your home country couple of time during this period. And then you applied for PR in 2017 and got your PR in 2018. And you landed again as PR sometime in 2018. In this case, you need to declare those trips you made (from Canada) to your home country (before you became PR).

If one never lived in Canada, how he/she can declare absences from Canada?

Hope this helps.