+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel exemption for SOWP

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
No it does not matter from where you are applying from. It all goes to a central pool worldwide.
Thanks fir your reply. Do you know long generally it is taking to get response nowadays and do I need to mention tentative date of travel when I request for authorization letter? Much appreciate your help.

macmailen

Jan 22, 2021
Any one gotten a written authorization recently? I applied on Jan 5 and still haven't received any reply!

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
Any one gotten a written authorization recently? I applied on Jan 5 and still haven't received any reply!
No, I haven't applied yet as I am not sure what date I would be traveling. Official website says they reply in 14 working days. It would be good if you call them.
Also, could you share the template of letter or sample letter you used for requesting the written authorization letter, please? Seeing it's taking so long, I think I should apply asap.

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
I got some situation here. I have got SOWP and planning to request for written authorization letter. I am planning to travel in the end of march with my wife who got her study for Jan intake course.

I called IRCC today, they said if you have open work visa then you need a job offer instead of written authorization letter. This seems to be a worry as I got open work permit based on my spouy study permit, so I don't have any job offer. Has anyone with same situation applied for written authorization letter or traveled without job offer? This seems to be unfair to spouse of international student to not let travel of they don't have job offer though they plan to accompany their spouse instead of traveling for fun or vacation.

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
I got some situation here. I have got SOWP and planning to request for written authorization letter. I am planning to travel in the end of march with my wife who got her study for Jan intake course.

I called IRCC today, they said if you have open work visa then you need a job offer instead of written authorization letter. This seems to be a worry as I got open work permit based on my spouy study permit, so I don't have any job offer. Has anyone with same situation applied for written authorization letter or traveled without job offer? This seems to be unfair to spouse of international student to not let travel of they don't have job offer though they plan to accompany their spouse instead of traveling for fun or vacation.

hi any updates yet. I am in the same situation as my agent is saying that I need job offer to enter even though we have SOWP. Have you already travelled ? Please guide me

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
hi any updates yet. I am in the same situation as my agent is saying that I need job offer to enter even though we have SOWP. Have you already travelled ? Please guide me
Yes, I got written authorization letter with travel exemption for next 3 months. It can be used only one time. I took chance to drop email giving all details that they ask for immediate family member of foreign worker or international students. And explained that I'll be going to stay for the period my spouse is studying. I got the answer in 48 hours though they said they can take 14. Working days to response.

So you can email them, you don't need job offer if you have SOWP. Seems like that is bit unclear point on IRCC website which created confusion.

Reactions: PriyankaPratik

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
Yes, I got written authorization letter with travel exemption for next 3 months. It can be used only one time. I took chance to drop email giving all details that they ask for immediate family member of foreign worker or international students. And explained that I'll be going to stay for the period my spouse is studying. I got the answer in 48 hours though they said they can take 14. Working days to response.

So you can email them, you don't need job offer if you have SOWP. Seems like that is bit unclear point on IRCC website which created confusion.
Hi can you share the sample of your authorisation letter if you can by removing your personal details. It will be very helpful if you can do that.

Reactions: Jks1990

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
I didn't get any sample. It was just explaining situation of me and my spouse and why I need to be there with your spouse along with the documents they mentioned to provide on the IRCC website for travel exemption.

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019

Hey @Amit_T ,
Can you please provide some insights to the letter/email that you had written to the immigration office for authorization letter.
Also which immigration office did you raised the request? IRCC email or Delhi Immigration - as my file was processed as Delhi Office.
And TRV has been approved to my 2 year old kid as well. Do i need Authorization letter for him as well?

JonyQuest

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020

Hi. I have an SOWP and we are planning to travel in next month. The website says I need a Job offer letter. Where did you email to get the authorization letter.
Thanks

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
Hi. I have an SOWP and we are planning to travel in next month. The website says I need a Job offer letter. Where did you email to get the authorization letter.
Thanks
You don’t need authorization if you are travelling with your spouse who is student. And if you are travelling alone you can apply for travel authorization under family reunification if your spouse is already in Canada. You don’t need job offer for SOWP.

JonyQuest

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
You don’t need authorization if you are travelling with your spouse who is student. And if you are travelling alone you can apply for travel authorization under family reunification if your spouse is already in Canada. You don’t need job offer for SOWP.
Thank you. That is reassuring. The website though is quite confusing and does not mention what happens to SOWP holder travelling with their spouse.

Reactions: Mahir009

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
Hello
Has anyone received their passport stamped and along with that received a letter for “preparing to travel and arriving in Canada” in which it is mentioned you need job offer to show it to airline and at port of entry? Do we need it or just the family reunification exemption is enough ?