+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel exemption for SOWP

lililynn

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
Hi,
I got approved for a close work permit and my spouse got approved for an open wp. I checked cic website states that immediate family members of temporary workers who have a letter of introduction for an open work permit are able to come to Canada.
Is it mean my spouse can travel with me without written authorization?
Thank you

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html

How to bring your family members with you
Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. They can travel to Canada if they meet one of the conditions below:
they’re travelling directly from the U.S. for a non-discretionary purpose
they have a written authorization from IRCC to reunite with a temporary resident of Canada (see Uniting with immediate family members for more information)
they have a letter of introduction for an open work permit

Reactions: Amit_T

Rkcad2021

Star Member
Dec 4, 2020
I am in the same case. Yes although it is written there my lawyers insist on getting authorization letter from IRCC. It comes within 10-15 days.

Reactions: Amit_T

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They think the reason for travelling is optional
If you have been refused if the airline verifies whether your spouse has permission to fly, which has become pretty common due to covid, your spouse is likely to be refused boarding. You would need to decide if you're willing to risk being denied boarding since you know you're received the refusal.

Toks01

Jun 7, 2017
Just a small rants here ....

It’s just barbaric what some of the officers reviewing the authorization requests are thinking, we are talking about spouses, there is no any other time we needed our spouses here than now, we have paid international tuition in d past and we are paying taxes now yet they think our spouses can’t come and join us in this very difficult time but it’s okay for citizens and Pr folks to welcome their extended family members en mass, in fact new international students are allowed to come with their spouse but it’s fine for FTW to live alone without their spouses when it’s clearly stated here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit.html#toc11 that reunification is allowed.

I am going through a lot due to this torture, I had friends that applied after we submitted our own application and they grant some of them authorization and allow their spouses to come but for us, they keep rejecting our authorization and they leave our application untouched for no fault of ours, I mean we didn’t bring Covid-19 to the world, I just don’t get y we deserve this torture , ooh maybe because we choose Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a small rants here ....

It’s just barbaric what some of the officers reviewing the authorization requests are thinking, we are talking about spouses, there is no any other time we needed our spouses here than now, we have paid international tuition in d past and we are paying taxes now yet they think our spouses can’t come and join us in this very difficult time but it’s okay for citizens and Pr folks to welcome their extended family members en mass, in fact new international students are allowed to come with their spouse but it’s fine for FTW to live alone without their spouses when it’s clearly stated here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit.html#toc11 that reunification is allowed.

I am going through a lot due to this torture, I had friends that applied after we submitted our own application and they grant some of them authorization and allow their spouses to come but for us, they keep rejecting our authorization and they leave our application untouched for no fault of ours, I mean we didn’t bring Covid-19 to the world, I just don’t get y we deserve this torture , ooh maybe because we choose Canada

Spouses of international students are never guaranteed TRVs/SOWPs and many were refused even precovid. It is around 50/50. Very few students make enough to pay taxes and the primary goal of international students is to study. Extended family should only be visiting family for essential reasons although it it is clear that's not happening.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do we need spouse authorisation if we travel from US to Canada ?
Your spouse needs a TRV or SOWP but if you are travelling from the US you don't need special authorization. That doesn't guarantee entry. That is always decided at the border.

Toks01

Jun 7, 2017
Spouses of international students are never guaranteed TRVs/SOWPs and many were refused even precovid. It is around 50/50. Very few students make enough to pay taxes and the primary goal of international students is to study. Extended family should only be visiting family for essential reasons although it it is clear that's not happening.
Well, I am not a student though I used to. I have a friend that got his spouse sowp approved and he applied like 3 months after I did and we are from the same country

Amit_T

Dec 1, 2020
I am also in same boat. How do you apply for written authorization letter from IRCC and in terms of response time, does it matter which country you are applying from? I am in UK and probably move back to India in sometime. Does it give benefit if I apply for this letter from UK?