+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document? (Waiting for PR card)

natk

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Category........
CEC
Hey guys,

I'm flying out of Canada on August 22 for vacation and because Canada post does not forward PR cards to another address, and will send the card back to CIC, I am without my card that was mailed on June 29.

(I'm from a visa exempt country but that doesn't mean much because I'm flying back in to Canada after my trip)

I called cic and spoke to a really unhelpful woman who told me my only option to fly back in to Canada is by visiting a visa office in the country I'm vacationing in to get a travel document. She said it will take up to 8 weeks to have the card re-mailed to me directly. Absolutely crazy.

Is there not some kind of document I can get from in Canada beforehand so I can fly back in? It seems weird that this is the only option ... I'm going to the Caribbean so the international visa office is nowhere near where I'm going.

Any advice would be appreciated or to hear from someone who has been in the same kind of situation and has travelled without their pr card.

Thanks guys.

Andrew1982

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
Hi,
I had the same situation, I was going to Rome and I was able to apply and get the travel documents just in time. It took 8 business days....

In your case you could change your flight and land in usa and cross the land border. This is the only case your confirmation of permanent resident sheet allows you to let you get in. Second option is going back as tourist at your own risk.. since you are visa exempt you could come back as a tourist, but it's rally risky situation, to be used only if you are desperate.

good luck...

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Andrew1982 said:
Hi,
I had the same situation, I was going to Rome and I was able to apply and get the travel documents just in time. It took 8 business days....

In your case you could change your flight and land in usa and cross the land border. This is the only case your confirmation of permanent resident sheet allows you to let you get in. Second option is going back as tourist at your own risk.. since you are visa exempt you could come back as a tourist, but it's rally risky situation, to be used only if you are desperate.

good luck...
Hi Andrew,

Quick Question. Did you apply the travel document within Canada? I recall reading somewhere that we cannot apply for the travel document within Canada once we become a PR.

Not sure if I am missing something here or if my interpretation is wrong.

natk

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Category........
CEC
Andrew1982 said:
Hi,

good luck...
Thanks for the reply Andrew. Did you apply in Rome in person? Or by mail?

The thing is, I'm going on my vacation for a week, so I wouldn't be able to mail anything off and would need to get my document on the spot.