+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel and citizenship ceremony dilemma

elisa222

Mar 23, 2018
Hi there, (Previously posted this msg on another thread)
need some professional advice. My parents just got an email about the Citizenship oath ceremony which is funny enough on the day (July 5) that they are traveling ( 6 of us). Tough to change the date of the travel and all the expenses coming with it. Here is /are my question(s):

-Can they leave Canada that day without a PR card (as you know they need to cut it live on Zoom)?
-I gather all the papers and signatures, pics from them, and apply for their passports by mail, while they are away, once I get their citizenship certificates?
-Mail it to them by express courier, DHL, so they can return to Canada in November, using the new passports?
-They also have a 10-year visa on their European passports from before, in case they are asked any questions...?

Please, your advice is greatly appreciated! I need to make a decision before I contact the authorities and postpone the ceremony.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, (Previously posted this msg on another thread)
need some professional advice. My parents just got an email about the Citizenship oath ceremony which is funny enough on the day (July 5) that they are traveling ( 6 of us). Tough to change the date of the travel and all the expenses coming with it. Here is /are my question(s):

-Can they leave Canada that day without a PR card (as you know they need to cut it live on Zoom)?
-I gather all the papers and signatures, pics from them, and apply for their passports by mail, while they are away, once I get their citizenship certificates?
-Mail it to them by express courier, DHL, so they can return to Canada in November, using the new passports?
-They also have a 10-year visa on their European passports from before, in case they are asked any questions...?

Please, your advice is greatly appreciated! I need to make a decision before I contact the authorities and postpone the ceremony.
- Yes, they can certainly leave Canada without a PR card. However they will need a Canadian passport to return (or alternatively fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle).
- I think the better option would be for them to apply for a passport from outside of Canada vs. you applying for them from Canada. Passports often cannot be couriered internationally.

Reactions: lila777