+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after Citizenship Test and before Oath.

dreamerchant

Mar 23, 2015
Hello everyone!

I took the Citizenship test couple of weeks back. The interview went well too. But at the end the Officer said that, there will a Security Clearance process for me which may take 6-8 weeks and after that I'll be called for oath. Meanwhile, I'd need to travel out of Canada for three weeks.

Now the question is, what could be the consequences of my travel before taking the oath? Do I have to notify anyone before traveling? if necessary, can the oath date be rescheduled? Did anyone else had similar experience? Experts opinion please.

Thanks!

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
did u get DM on ecas

or still waiting ?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
not an issue

just monitor your eCAS and mail at your home so that u get notified of the oath and come back in time.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
dreamerchant said:
Hello everyone!

I took the Citizenship test couple of weeks back. The interview went well too. But at the end the Officer said that, there will a Security Clearance process for me which may take 6-8 weeks and after that I'll be called for oath. Meanwhile, I'd need to travel out of Canada for three weeks.

Now the question is, what could be the consequences of my travel before taking the oath? Do I have to notify anyone before traveling? if necessary, can the oath date be rescheduled? Did anyone else had similar experience? Experts opinion please.

Thanks!
If you are leaving Canada for two weeks or more, you should inform cic so that the oath is not scheduled during that time and you don't miss any communication from cic.
Don't rely on e-cas as it may or may not update on time. Also, make sure there is someone at your address to check your mails in your absence.

Read this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, you should only contact us if:

you change your address,
you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
you are charged with a crime or
we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.
Before you ask about your application status:

make sure you have allowed enough time for each step and
make sure you have your receipt or file number when you access our online services.
We will contact you if we need more information or documents.

We will write to you to let you know the date and time of any interviews. Under Canadian privacy law, we cannot give information about your application to anyone but you unless you give your consent in writing.