+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of passport stamps outside eligibility period

Grassquit

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
I've been asked to provide passport page copies, and I see that "Passport(s) and travel document(s) stamps that are not in English or French must also be translated"

I have some Arabic passport stamps, but the dates are long before my eligibility period - has anyone been in a similar situation and established if a translation + affidavit is still required? I'm assuming the answer is yes but I'd like to be sure before I spend the money to get this done. Thanks

stepover

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
I have another question regarding this. The application guide for Translation of documents says
"You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • a certified copy of the original document."

I already have the English translation and affidavit from a certified translator.
But what is a certified copy and how do I go about this? Do I print the passport pages to be translated to a Notary to sign?
Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I've been asked to provide passport page copies, and I see that "Passport(s) and travel document(s) stamps that are not in English or French must also be translated"

I have some Arabic passport stamps, but the dates are long before my eligibility period - has anyone been in a similar situation and established if a translation + affidavit is still required? I'm assuming the answer is yes but I'd like to be sure before I spend the money to get this done. Thanks
Although yes, some visa/entry/exit stanps may fall outside the eligibility period window, you have been asked to provide the scan of the complete passport include bio pages, pages with stamps etc and also blank pages of the passport, you cannot pick and choose the pages you will share. You have to share the full details….

If it is Saudi one eg, (visa, entry/exit(stamps as these dates are Islamic calendar specific)) translation would be required

Reactions: dpenabill

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I have another question regarding this. The application guide for Translation of documents says
"You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and

I already have the English translation and affidavit from a certified translator.
But what is a certified copy and how do I go about this? Do I print the passport pages to be translated to a Notary to sign?
Thanks
Just submit the translation and affidavit from a certified translator that you have.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

@Grassquit Did they ask you the translation of the stamps outside of your eligibility period. Thanks

Grassquit

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
@Grassquit Did they ask you the translation of the stamps outside of your eligibility period. Thanks
No, but as abbas.pasha notes, it asks for all passport pages.

The overwhelming majority of my stamps are from 5-10 years ago (my passport expires this year). I was wondering, while all pages are obviously required (and were actually already attached to my application), if I needed a translation of the parts of the Saudi visas & entry/exit stamps that aren't in English given the validity dates of the visas *are* in English and clearly outside my eligibility period: e.g 2012 & 90 days. It would follow that the associated entry/exit stamps, while not in English, could not be from the last 5 years.

However, since no-one has been through this before and confirmed such translations aren't required, I'm in process of getting them completed :)

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018

The overwhelming majority of my stamps are from 5-10 years ago (my passport expires this year). I was wondering, while all pages are obviously required (and were actually already attached to my application), if I needed a translation of the parts of the Saudi visas & entry/exit stamps that aren't in English given the validity dates of the visas *are* in English and clearly outside my eligibility period: e.g 2012 & 90 days. It would follow that the associated entry/exit stamps, while not in English, could not be from the last 5 years.

However, since no-one has been through this before and confirmed such translations aren't required, I'm in process of getting them completed :)
The reason they ask for all pages is that they want to verify all stamps and visas to make sure you are did not fail to report an absence. If you send them pages with Arabic stamps that were not translated, then they won't know if this entry/exit was during your eligibility period or not. You must translate it to avoid delays and issues. I hope this makes sense.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Is it just the stamps or visa pages too need to be translated? I have lots of Saudi stamps and visas too.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

kinda in a similar situation. they asked for the eligibility period (whatever that means) but my previous passport has lost of Saudi stamps and from a period even before I became a PR.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think this is not required if it is a certified translator. And if you want this then consult local legal office for help.

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
If an entry/exit stamp before the eligibility is not translated, how can IRCC confirm that it is actually before the eligibility period? I would translate all foreign language visa stamps.

Hello, As far as I Know, only translation of visa stamps (Arabic, Euro languages, Asian languages etc) are needed for the eligibility period only.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If an entry/exit stamp before the eligibility is not translated, how can IRCC confirm that it is actually before the eligibility period? I would translate all foreign language visa stamps.
I mean if you have an old passport with the visa stamps , then no need to translate the stamps on the old passport. The only passport they ask for translation will be for the new one. This makes them easy to see the dates in the eligibility period only.

If you have a new passport, which covers the complete validity then the stamps on the new is enough.

Thanks

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think this is not required if it is a certified translator. And if you want this then consult local legal office for help.
the translation will include a stamped copy of the original page.