+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of documents and Certified true copies

farrukh ahmad

Aug 2, 2011
LANDED..........
March 2014
Translation of documents and Certified true copies are two different things be carefull
Translation of documents
Any document that is not in English or in French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.
Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Translations by family members are not acceptable.

Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
the name of the original document,
the date of the certification,
his or her name,
his or her official position or title, and
his or her signature.

Who can certify copies?
Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:
In Canada:

a commissioner of oaths
a notary public
a justice of the peace

Outside Canada:

a judge
a magistrate
a notary public
an officer of a court of justice
a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi farrukh ahmad :D

Very good!!.

Documents can be certified from the applicant's foreign mission (Embassy/High Commission/Consulate) if he is living in another country.

igenena

May 15, 2016
Category........
FSW
But its pretty confusing...
I have my marriage certificate as well as PCC in Arabic, translated to English with Affidavit, now shall i attach the translations with: a) only a scan of original documents, or b) a certified photocopy of the original documents

On www[.]cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp, in the translation section what difference there is between Statement A and B, both are written in the same paragraph!!:

Translation of documents

[Statement A]
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.
==========================================================================
[Statement B]
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
a certified photocopy of the original document.
The instruction guide for Express Entry candidates and applicants explains how to meet these requirements.

Engineer87

Feb 12, 2018
But its pretty confusing...
I have my marriage certificate as well as PCC in Arabic, translated to English with Affidavit, now shall i attach the translations with: a) only a scan of original documents, or b) a certified photocopy of the original documents

On www[.]cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp, in the translation section what difference there is between Statement A and B, both are written in the same paragraph!!:

Translation of documents

[Statement A]
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.
==========================================================================
[Statement B]
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
a certified photocopy of the original document.
The instruction guide for Express Entry candidates and applicants explains how to meet these requirements.
Can I know hoe u can obtain the affidavit? I am from Lebanon. Normally a translated document if stamped by the ministry of justice and foreign affairs will be considered official.

Can you assist..Normally translators do not give affidavits

Karenkl

Mar 23, 2017
Chile
Passport Req..
29/08/2017
Can I know hoe u can obtain the affidavit? I am from Lebanon. Normally a translated document if stamped by the ministry of justice and foreign affairs will be considered official.

Can you assist..Normally translators do not give affidavits
Hi, a certified translator can give an affidavit everywhere in the world, just ask around, not all translators want to give this because it means more work to go to the notary and everything so it may cost you more money. I believe if you translate your documents with the ministry of foreign affairs, the stamp from them should be enough. However, you may want to ask in the forum if anyone has translated their documents with a ministry of affairs and their experiences.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hello Seniors! Would really appreciate the help on a very confusing matter. I found various threads and posts about this topic, but no definite answer.

There is a big confusion going on about the translations accompanying documents in languages other than English or French. The confusion comes from the official CIC website itself. Here is the part:

Translation of documents

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
The two paragraphs give really different information. So this naturally raises the questions:

1-When uploading the translations, should it be accompanied by the original version of the document OR the certified copy OR maybe even both.
2-If it's a certified copy, how does it work?... Does the translator simply make a copy of the original document and stamp it with a reference number or something to link it with the translation? Or just a simple copy certification made by a government district office or something... Or does it have to be from the same translator?

What I have ready for upload is:
-Original Document (Marriage certificate)
-Translation made by certified translator, with a document reference number
-Affidavit linked to the translation mentioning same document reference number, stating that it's true to the original document

Would truly appreciate advice from someone who went through the process! Should I ask for a certified photocopy from my translator?...