+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Have you already booked your tickets back to your home country? Don't give up so soon man, things will eventually get back to normal. In the meantime, if you don't have enough funds, you could get a frontline job? That way you would meet new people and maybe you'll have luck finding a better job? W.r.t. the SIN, if you have a CORP and passport you can open a non-interest bearing account without a SIN - once you have that, you can submit your SIN proof of address. I know things are less than ideal right now, but you've come this far, and going back might be an easy way out, but it might not be the best longer-term.
Good point made by @Dark_Night - PRz going back to their native land will keep wondering about Canada morning and night. Survival jobs is a way out. I am also looking for them, unfortunately, walking in stores and handing out my CV like a promotion pamphlet would have worked really well pre-covid as college students used do that only... to get 14 dollars per hour jobs like this only...

Please share how your job hunting experiences are going... are you physically handing out your CV's or applying via networking sites...

How effective is facebook & instagram in looking for jobs?

Dark_Night

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Toronto
Good point made by @Dark_Night - PRz going back to their native land will keep wondering about Canada morning and night. Survival jobs is a way out. I am also looking for them, unfortunately, walking in stores and handing out my CV like a promotion pamphlet would have worked really well pre-covid as college students used do that only... to get 14 dollars per hour jobs like this only...

Please share how your job hunting experiences are going... are you physically handing out your CV's or applying via networking sites...

How effective is facebook & instagram in looking for jobs?
I've worked with a non-profit called ACCEP (parent organization is S.U.C.C.E.S.S). They helped with resume, cover letter and training on job searching strategies etc. In BC we have WorkBC; they will also help you with resume, cover letters and placements - Ontario should have similar government services. I am also still looking for a job, but if I don't find anything in my line of work by August, I'll apply for front line jobs at Tim Hortons / Starbucks / Home Depot just to cover rent and food. The best is to look at online job portals (Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn) or the company's website (look for careers jobs at the bottom of home page). I don't think Facebook and Instagram are effective for job searching - I've heard you can find casual jobs advertised on Craigslist though.

Iceclimber

Feb 5, 2020
Have you already booked your tickets back to your home country? Don't give up so soon man, things will eventually get back to normal. In the meantime, if you don't have enough funds, you could get a frontline job? That way you would meet new people and maybe you'll have luck finding a better job? W.r.t. the SIN, if you have a CORP and passport you can open a non-interest bearing account without a SIN - once you have that, you can submit your SIN proof of address. I know things are less than ideal right now, but you've come this far, and going back might be an easy way out, but it might not be the best longer-term.
No, I haven't booked tickets yet. However, I still have my job in my home country - I can work remotely- but it's not something I can do for much longer, until things get better... My plan was to start my own business in Canada (resigning from my current job). However, these are less than ideal times to do so, let alone the fact of going around to biz events and getting known, do networking... I don't think it would be the best strategy for me atm. Were I in a different position, I would have done as you suggested, definitely. I landed now because my docs were expiring and I did not want to take any chance, given the ambiguity of IRCC messages on the webpage... but I took into account it could have been a semi-soft landing, if we can call it so

mrs.ds

Dec 27, 2018
I've worked with a non-profit called ACCEP (parent organization is S.U.C.C.E.S.S). They helped with resume, cover letter and training on job searching strategies etc. In BC we have WorkBC; they will also help you with resume, cover letters and placements - Ontario should have similar government services. I am also still looking for a job, but if I don't find anything in my line of work by August, I'll apply for front line jobs at Tim Hortons / Starbucks / Home Depot just to cover rent and food. The best is to look at online job portals (Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn) or the company's website (look for careers jobs at the bottom of home page). I don't think Facebook and Instagram are effective for job searching - I've heard you can find casual jobs advertised on Craigslist though.
Hi! How can I reach/contact ACCEP/SUCCESS? Thank you

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I get some sadistic satisfaction by looking at college students. THEY. ARE. EVERYWHERE. Everywhere I look, I see 20 yr old something college student. Their parents must be spending so much M.O.N.E.Y! Gosh, they must be suffering a lot, summer intern is peanuts, summer job is peanuts, part time job is peanuts, babysitting or even lawn cleaning jobs are peanuts. Working professionals are not the only ones suffering. The whole world is on a pause. Pause mode. Hoping things to get off that mode in 30 something days....

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I completed my soft landing in March and now I am in touch with friends who are working in Canada. Most of them are in banking/finance. Going back to Canada, at least in the short term (2020) doesn't seem very attractive. Getting a "front line" job is not the reason I went through the PR process over 1.5 years.

Canadian economy will take time to recover. The bigger risk at the moment is the collapse of the real estate market in Canada. It can have serious repercussions leading to a prolonged economic recession in Canada. The collapse of the crude oil prices is another blow to the Canadian economy. As things stand right now, I am not very hopeful of seeing a turnaround for the next 12 months (best case scenario).

New immigrants should weigh their options before deciding to land in Canada. In the worst case, I will use my PR card to spend time in Canada during the summer break!

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I completed my soft landing in March and now I am in touch with friends who are working in Canada. Most of them are in banking/finance. Going back to Canada, at least in the short term (2020) doesn't seem very attractive. Getting a "front line" job is not the reason I went through the PR process over 1.5 years.

Canadian economy will take time to recover. The bigger risk at the moment is the collapse of the real estate market in Canada. It can have serious repercussions leading to a prolonged economic recession in Canada. The collapse of the crude oil prices is another blow to the Canadian economy. As things stand right now, I am not very hopeful of seeing a turnaround for the next 12 months (best case scenario).

New immigrants should weigh their options before deciding to land in Canada. In the worst case, I will use my PR card to spend time in Canada during the summer break!
Great plan...as all of us have limited funds.... you can visit some national parks during your annual summer breaks. I think it all depends upon determination and passion to survive and create avenues for oneself in this climate... can you switch sectors? can you gain more skills? can you work a simpler basic job? The good thing about Canada is that there is no judgement whatsoever. No elitism, all are equal. So even if one works as a delivery agent v/s invesment banker or in a local call center v/s IT corporation (which can be a big downgrade if one was working a proper skilled white collar job in native country) - it is still "earning a living". Painters, carpenters, handymen drive luxury cars whereas white collar workers live in their shoe box apartments in Toronto. Money is money! I know we all did not spend money on passing ielts, wes, ircc, medical bla bla bla 100 dramas to get our PR status... THUS, one should decide very carefully and not give a rats ass about society... Best of luck to all!

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great plan...as all of us have limited funds.... you can visit some national parks during your annual summer breaks. I think it all depends upon determination and passion to survive and create avenues for oneself in this climate... can you switch sectors? can you gain more skills? can you work a simpler basic job? The good thing about Canada is that there is no judgement whatsoever. No elitism, all are equal. So even if one works as a delivery agent v/s invesment banker or in a local call center v/s IT corporation (which can be a big downgrade if one was working a proper skilled white collar job in native country) - it is still "earning a living". Painters, carpenters, handymen drive luxury cars whereas white collar workers live in their shoe box apartments in Toronto. Money is money! I know we all did not spend money on passing ielts, wes, ircc, medical bla bla bla 100 dramas to get our PR status... THUS, one should decide very carefully and not give a rats ass about society... Best of luck to all!
It is not at all about society, but personal preferences. If one is so desperate to immigrate then maybe yes it makes sense for him/her to take any job to support oneself. Reskilling, switching sectors etc will only work when the economy revives. It makes absolutely no sense to move bag and baggage with a family only to find yourself struggling to meet ends by doing "frontline jobs".

I personally know a few friends who decided to move back or defer their plans to immigrate after looking at the job market situation in Canada. Did they throw in the towel too soon? Did they care about society? Of course not. It was the only sensible thing to do given their personal finances.

As for painters, carpenters living a life of luxury, I have only one thing to say - there are exceptions everywhere. In such trying times, I will not recommend anyone to move along with their families. Wait it out. Let this panic subside.