+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

abong

Apr 1, 2020
You can open bank account without SIN. I bank with TD and till date they don't have my SIN. Now usually for new immigrants, most banks issue credit card when you open checking account so that you can start building your credit history. So for that, yes, you need SIN. But if you are willing to let that go, they would let you open account without SIN.

Outside of bank, for POA, I would recommend applying for DL(Canada allows DL exchange if you are from certain countries) or photo card that acts as id. You don't need to show POA for applying. Until the physical card gets mailed, they will issue you a temp ID that can also be used as POA.
Hi ! Thank you so much for this idea of using the bank account statement to get the SIN. What banks would you suggest I approach that could help me with opening a bank account without a proof of address with my name on it? I am staying at a friends place and don't have a rental agreement/address document with my name on it. Thanks.

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Hi ! Thank you so much for this idea of using the bank account statement to get the SIN. What banks would you suggest I approach that could help me with opening a bank account without a proof of address with my name on it? I am staying at a friends place and don't have a rental agreement/address document with my name on it. Thanks.
BMO Zindabad! I really endorse BMO!

Iceclimber

Feb 5, 2020
I am back home in Delhi after completing my soft landing. With the Canadian economy hitting a rough patch, I am not in any rush to return. Still weighing my options. Let's see how the post pandemic world shapes up (assuming that a vaccine comes out soon!).
Hi, may I ask you what did you do during your soft landing? did you get the SIN? did you open a bank account? tnx!

Reactions: kushagra452

akb21

Feb 6, 2020
Toronto
I went ahead with TD, only because of their US counterpart. Not sure about Tangerine but the big 5 have similar provisions. Also, I opened the account the very next day of my landing as a temp worker. I had initially provided my airbnb address. Later, after I got my own place, I updated my account online.

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, may I ask you what did you do during your soft landing? did you get the SIN? did you open a bank account? tnx!
Hi, Yes I got a SIN number at the airport. Haven't opened a bank account yet. Apart from these formalities, I met people in my network to find out more about the job market.

Reactions: Iceclimber

guydecent

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
My G drivers license has correct mailing address. Will the drivers license act as valid proof of address to apply for SIN online?

Edit: Called SIN today and they said Yes to driver's license as proof of address !

Last edited:

long_time_waiting

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
I think we should look at this update in a different view. Yes its disappointing, by the time I get my card through after THEY sent it to the wrong address I will have been a PR for 9 months. BUT, the fact they have updated the processing times says to me they are back in the office. Also, do you not think they are just putting this huge wait time to manage expectation and to stop people bugging them about going over processing time?

Iceclimber

Feb 5, 2020
Hi, Yes I got a SIN number at the airport. Haven't opened a bank account yet. Apart from these formalities, I met people in my network to find out more about the job market.
Thanks for your answer. I was actually wondering if it's ok not getting the SIN now, as I will be going back home in a bit more than a month, waiting for a better time to move here (hopefully in some months). I thought that getting the SIN now could imply tax-related obligations (which would be nonsense since I would have not yet lived/worked in Canada...)

abong

Apr 1, 2020
Thanks for your answer. I was actually wondering if it's ok not getting the SIN now, as I will be going back home in a bit more than a month, waiting for a better time to move here (hopefully in some months). I thought that getting the SIN now could imply tax-related obligations (which would be nonsense since I would have not yet lived/worked in Canada...)
Hey this is a good point to note and would be interested to hear what people have to say. Planning on doing something similar leaving Canada for now and moving back here later.

Reactions: kushagra452

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think merely having a SIN issued makes you liable to pay taxes in Canada. However, getting a provincial health insurance card is another matter. If getting a SIN is not too much of a hassle then I would suggest that you get hold of it before departing Canada.

abong

Apr 1, 2020
Oh thanks for that insight. Yes, I too think it maybe wise to get a SIN before departing the country as it would atleast make me employable were I to get a job(even if remotely) in Canada in the future.

Dark_Night

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Toronto
Have you already booked your tickets back to your home country? Don't give up so soon man, things will eventually get back to normal. In the meantime, if you don't have enough funds, you could get a frontline job? That way you would meet new people and maybe you'll have luck finding a better job? W.r.t. the SIN, if you have a CORP and passport you can open a non-interest bearing account without a SIN - once you have that, you can submit your SIN proof of address. I know things are less than ideal right now, but you've come this far, and going back might be an easy way out, but it might not be the best longer-term.