+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I applied for SIN online and got a rejection letter in 2 weeks due to the fact that I did not have any "Proof of Address" being a newcomer. I then talked to SIN department on the phone and they told me that all offices are closed and I can only apply via mail or online. The lady said that proof of address is a must and the application will be rejected even if I am a newcomer. She also mentioned that we are receiving around thousands of applications per day and with limited staff, our response time has increased. I re-applied using an address proof last week. I'm hoping for a positive response by next week.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU and Best of luckkk!
Don't get disheartened by delays and extensions.
Its CRAYEZEYYYY. Abnormal times for us all.

I keep dreaming what it would be like if I landed in Canada in normal good times, how different it would have been... :( :( :(

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I applied for SIN online and got a rejection letter in 2 weeks due to the fact that I did not have any "Proof of Address" being a newcomer. I then talked to SIN department on the phone and they told me that all offices are closed and I can only apply via mail or online. The lady said that proof of address is a must and the application will be rejected even if I am a newcomer. She also mentioned that we are receiving around thousands of applications per day and with limited staff, our response time has increased. I re-applied using an address proof last week. I'm hoping for a positive response by next week.
Sorry to hear that.

DId you get the rejection letter by e-mail or by mail?

Last edited:

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
What did you share as address proof ?
In the initial application, I did not add any proof and instead of the proof document, I added a letter saying that I am a new PR and do not have any address proof. This application got rejected. For the 2nd application, I attached my phone line's service agreement which had an address and my name on it (after confirming from SIN helpline). I am not sure if this will work since I haven't got a decision yet on the 2nd application. I also opened up a bank account but unfortunately, I can only have access to the statement after the 1st month. However, you could go to your bank and inquire about an account maintenance letter or something which can also work.

Reactions: guydecent

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's pretty unfortunate that they ask for the POA, because you can't do anything without your SIN number anyway, many landlords actually ask for your sin number before they will rent to you.

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
It's pretty unfortunate that they ask for the POA, because you can't do anything without your SIN number anyway, many landlords actually ask for your sin number before they will rent to you.
Agreed. The bank also required "Proof of Address" without which they were not allowing account opening.

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Agreed. The bank also required "Proof of Address" without which they were not allowing account opening.
There is an ICICI also in Canada BTW if you are from India.
Otherwise, Scotiabank and BMO really go out of their way to help new immigrants

There should be a dedicated team or department now with IRCC only catering to new immigrants who have just landed. I can imagine from seconf half of 2020 EVERYONE will want to move to canada.

EVERYONE wants to settle down in Canada now. EVERYONE. 2021, 2022, 2023 - I think It will be a mini Asia. :) :) :)

guydecent

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
I can imagine from seconf half of 2020 EVERYONE will want to move to canada.

EVERYONE wants to settle down in Canada now. EVERYONE. 2021, 2022, 2023 - I think It will be a mini Asia. :) :) :)
That will also mean CRS scores going through the roof. With the latest cutoff, at least I wouldn't have qualified.

Dark_Night

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Toronto
There is an ICICI also in Canada BTW if you are from India.
Otherwise, Scotiabank and BMO really go out of their way to help new immigrants

There should be a dedicated team or department now with IRCC only catering to new immigrants who have just landed. I can imagine from seconf half of 2020 EVERYONE will want to move to canada.

I think Canada will revise their immigration targets down - they are unlikely to let so many people in if unemployment has gone through the roof. Will have to see though.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Trudeau will likely not win the next election, and i think there will be maybe a minority Conservative government.

Immigration targets will go down as a result as well.

Reactions: kushagra452