+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Town hall won't accept my marriage certificate

Brandon_L

Nov 10, 2012
Hi

I'm trying to get a 12 month work permit through Youth Work Holiday, so I can be with my Canadian wife while we wait for my PR. This requires a proof of domicile.
Right now, it states that I'm not married, but I have to say in the forms that I -am- married. Surely this mess things up, right?

So I ordered a marriage certificate and got that in the mail last Friday. However, they won't register it at my town hall because it lacks a legislation sticker.
He was very vague about how I could get my certificate legislated, which is why I'm asking here. I hope this is the right sub-forum.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It would help if you told us what country you were married in and which country you are trying to get the marriage certificate registered in.

Brandon_L

Nov 10, 2012
scylla said:
It would help if you told us what country you were married in and which country you are trying to get the marriage certificate registered in.
Ohh, I'm sorry, I totally forgot. I was married in Canada and I'm trying to get registered in Belgium.

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
Brandon_L said:
Hi

I'm trying to get a 12 month work permit through Youth Work Holiday, so I can be with my Canadian wife while we wait for my PR. This requires a proof of domicile.
Right now, it states that I'm not married, but I have to say in the forms that I -am- married. Surely this mess things up, right?

So I ordered a marriage certificate and got that in the mail last Friday. However, they won't register it at my town hall because it lacks a legislation sticker.
He was very vague about how I could get my certificate legislated, which is why I'm asking here. I hope this is the right sub-forum.

Thank you!

Authentication and legalization / apostille process for Canadian birth or marriage certificate documents.

This article describes the three essential steps authenticate and legalize a Canadian birth or marriage certificate.

The process:

The authentication and legalization process enables a Canadian document to be recognized or accepted in another country. This process is also called the Apostille

There are three steps to follow to get a document authenticated and legalized:

Step 1 – Make sure you have a form of birth or marriage certificate that is acceptable. For Canadian birth certificates you need to have what's known as a “long form” birth certificate. Laminated, wallet-sized birth certificates cannot be authenticated unless they are first notarized. Marriage certificates must be Provincial vital statistic issued version and not denominational certificates issued at time of marriage.

Please note copies of these certificates are easily obtained (often online) through the provincial vital statistics websites.

Step 2 – Submit your documents to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAIT) http://www.international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?lang=eng&view=d in Ottawa. If your document meets the requirements DFAIT will put a stamp of authentication on your document.

Step 3 – Submit your document to the appropriate diplomatic mission of the destination country. They will then legalize the stamp of authentication from DFAIT and place their consular stamp on the document.

Please make sure you check with the diplomatic mission of the destination country so that all submission requirements are met.

What are my options for getting this done?

You can manage the authentication and legalization process yourself. Please consider the following:

Currently, DFAIT's authentication mail in processing time is 25 business days.
Make sure you have met the requirements first. If your documents are not prepared correctly, they will be rejected by either DFAIT or the diplomatic mission.

Source: http://www.idocscanada.ca/legalization/authentication-and-legalization-apostille-process-for-canadian-birth-or-marriage-certificate-documents

Brandon_L

Nov 10, 2012
RajaJi said:
Authentication and legalization / apostille process for Canadian birth or marriage certificate documents.

This article describes the three essential steps authenticate and legalize a Canadian birth or marriage certificate.

The process:

The authentication and legalization process enables a Canadian document to be recognized or accepted in another country. This process is also called the Apostille

There are three steps to follow to get a document authenticated and legalized:

Step 1 – Make sure you have a form of birth or marriage certificate that is acceptable. For Canadian birth certificates you need to have what's known as a “long form” birth certificate. Laminated, wallet-sized birth certificates cannot be authenticated unless they are first notarized. Marriage certificates must be Provincial vital statistic issued version and not denominational certificates issued at time of marriage.

Please note copies of these certificates are easily obtained (often online) through the provincial vital statistics websites.

Step 2 – Submit your documents to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAIT) http://www.international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?lang=eng&view=d in Ottawa. If your document meets the requirements DFAIT will put a stamp of authentication on your document.

Step 3 – Submit your document to the appropriate diplomatic mission of the destination country. They will then legalize the stamp of authentication from DFAIT and place their consular stamp on the document.

Please make sure you check with the diplomatic mission of the destination country so that all submission requirements are met.

What are my options for getting this done?

You can manage the authentication and legalization process yourself. Please consider the following:

Currently, DFAIT's authentication mail in processing time is 25 business days.
Make sure you have met the requirements first. If your documents are not prepared correctly, they will be rejected by either DFAIT or the diplomatic mission.

Source: http://www.idocscanada.ca/legalization/authentication-and-legalization-apostille-process-for-canadian-birth-or-marriage-certificate-documents
My god... I can't believe I didn't know about this. This horrible. Thanks a lot for the information though.