+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
DND said:
When is your wife applying?

The backlog right now is because of processing the older applications. I hear applicants from March-2015 are now receiving citizenship. Once the March-June 2015 is processed the only thing left is 4/6 rule applicants which are not numerous right now. Many new 4/6 applicants will become eligible again starting June-2016 (like myself)

So if this new rule is not in effect yet. I really hope to apply and get the citizenship in a few months time (the Queue should be cleared by that time)

Compare it with what happens to PGP. There is initial backlog from years ago. But once this backlog is cleared all the new applicants (5K per year) will be processed very quickly (effectively making PGP-2015 applicants processing times 2 years faster on average than PGP-2013 applicants)

Now. The liberals can rush with the new law and potentially make it law by Canada Day 2016. Then experience a flood of ~200K applicants in a motter of weeks, but why do it? wouldn't it be better to set the effective date in some later time, and maybe gradual. For instance allowing the pre-PR time before or after the 3/5 rule change?
You can ask the same question about Syrian refugees, why the rush? easy, to score political points and take selfies

ERJOPA

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
I like the 3/5 rule, but it needs to be worded like this: To apply for Citizenship, please wait 5 years, renew your PR card, and see if you have been in Canada the required amount of days totaling 3 years or more.

It would cut down on the amount of apps that become short on days because all the potential applicants see is the "3 years" part and do not continue to read onward.

Also, the 3/5 part would have helped me greatly in that during my interview after my test, the rest of my travels in that first year (if it was at 5) would have been documented more positively with passport stamps in my passport.

This kind of shows how the previous government was not very trusting of it's residents and citizens and it's obsession with keeping all of us "in line".

Now if they would just tell the citizenship officers to get with modern times and stop looking for passport stamps when the majority of nations don't stamp them any more....thats why we have computers and multi-jurisdictional cooperation among all Canadian agencies.

Done now :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
When is your wife applying?

The backlog right now is because of processing the older applications. I hear applicants from March-2015 are now receiving citizenship. Once the March-June 2015 is processed the only thing left is 4/6 rule applicants which are not numerous right now. Many new 4/6 applicants will become eligible again starting June-2016 (like myself)

So if this new rule is not in effect yet. I really hope to apply and get the citizenship in a few months time (the Queue should be cleared by that time)

Compare it with what happens to PGP. There is initial backlog from years ago. But once this backlog is cleared all the new applicants (5K per year) will be processed very quickly (effectively making PGP-2015 applicants processing times 2 years faster on average than PGP-2013 applicants)

Now. The liberals can rush with the new law and potentially make it law by Canada Day 2016. Then experience a flood of ~200K applicants in a motter of weeks, but why do it? wouldn't it be better to set the effective date in some later time, and maybe gradual. For instance allowing the pre-PR time before or after the 3/5 rule change?
My wife qualifies in July 2017. This is the expected timeline that I think the new 3/5 rule will kick in. Considering the senate delay and possible 1 year grace period much like the 1 year grace period for 4/6 to kick in after bill become law.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
itsmyid said:
You can ask the same question about Syrian refugees, why the rush? easy, to score political points and take selfies

I did ask myself that. but that promise was explicitly 25K refugees by the end of 2015. This is why the rush. it didn't really work well in the end (they weren't able to meet the target and now have settlement issues)

For repealing the C-24 rule it is different. No specific time frame was promised.
They do need to make the change fast enough so that it can happen before the next elections. However they can take selfies with partial achievements (like the things happening at Royal assent) and make the other changes in a practical manner. After all what is the point of making the processing times very long, and stall the same refugees from becoming citizens in next election?

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
screech339 said:
My wife qualifies in July 2017. This is the expected timeline that I think the new 3/5 rule will kick in. Considering the senate delay and possible 1 year grace period much like the 1 year grace period for 4/6 to kick in after bill become law.
Good luck to your wife:)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
DND said:
I did ask myself that. but that promise was explicitly 25K refugees by the end of 2015. This is why the rush. it didn't really work well in the end (they weren't able to meet the target and now have settlement issues)

For repealing the C-24 rule it is different. No specific time frame was promised.
They do need to make the change fast enough so that it can happen before the next elections. However they can take selfies with partial achievements (like the things happening at Royal assent) and make the other changes in a practical manner. After all what is the point of making the processing times very long, and stall the same refugees from becoming citizens in next election?
The processing time being long is most likely not because it would take this long, in my opinion it is the current system and government workers want to make it long. In this day and age, most of the information needed for citizenship/PR application is readily available with a few key strokes or mouse clicks, such as dates of arrival/departure, tax records, criminal records... etc, things that should be pulled within seconds with your SIN and passport numbers. Think about the teller at the ticket booths of TTC subway stations: with all the automatic ticket machines and Presto cards, do they really need to have employees sitting there selling tickets?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
zoya_99 said:
Good luck to your wife:)
Thanks. Hope she has the patience to wait 2 plus years of processing.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
itsmyid said:
The processing time being long is most likely not because it would take this long, in my opinion it is the current system and government workers want to make it long. In this day and age, most of the information needed for citizenship/PR application is readily available with a few key strokes or mouse clicks, such as dates of arrival/departure, tax records, criminal records... etc, things that should be pulled within seconds with your SIN and passport numbers. Think about the teller at the ticket booths of TTC subway stations: with all the automatic ticket machines and Presto cards, do they really need to have employees sitting there selling tickets?

Yes, because machines do not accept the TTC day pass

But true. The processing time is long intentionally to keep citizens of convenience in Canada longer (+ it creates government jobs)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
DND said:
Yes, because machines do not accept the TTC day pass

But true. The processing time is long intentionally to keep citizens of convenience in Canada longer (+ it creates government jobs)
That also means they do have the capacity to process more cases, but they are just slacking off and acting like they are busy

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
Thanks. Hope she has the patience to wait 2 plus years of processing.
But if the changes become law sooner, she will be eligible to apply earlier, no?
Which means that you should want the change as soon as possible this year

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
itsmyid said:
That also means they do have the capacity to process more cases, but they are just slacking off and acting like they are busy

Older government did not want to process faster, as many new immigrants would not vote for them. They did change lot's of rules in their favor. This government is OK with faster processing times, as somebody mention before refugees for instance would vote more to the left (if they got the opportunity)

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
DND said:
Older government did not want to process faster, as many new immigrants would not vote for them. They did change lot's of rules in their favor. This government is OK with faster processing times, as somebody mention before refugees for instance would vote more to the left (if they got the opportunity)
Yes they intentionally making changes to gather refugee votes. But I wonder if all of the refugees will be grateful to them or not

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
But if the changes become law sooner, she will be eligible to apply earlier, no?
Which means that you should want the change as soon as possible this year
Sure but she would be among the backlog applications submitted all the same time. I don't mind the qualification time. It's the processing time im worried about due to the flood of applications.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
screech339 said:
I think one of the main reason for that one years grace period was due to the fact that they were not ready with the regulations which established the currently effective internal business channels. The Conservatives still had homework to do before the full implementation.

Now the situation is different because all the infrastructure is already working and the Liberals will continue to use it. So it is pretty possible the grace period to be very short if any.
It is absolutely possible this new amendment Bill to become fully effective before the summer this year. The Conservatives rammed all the stages to Royal Assent in about 4 months in 2014.