+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
The amendment about minors won't be accepted by HoC as it's unconstitutional, simply because minors don't have any legal capacity. If this can be accepted, C-6 will become a case law then all other laws will be challenged to allow kids to legally vote, have sex, get married, drink alcohol, gamble, smoke cigarette and pot, sign contracts, borrow money and etc.

Expect this amendment will be debated then rejected and the whole bill will be sent back to Senate.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Lets Concentrate on Subject pl.

Todays News:

"Bill C-6 Amending Canadian Citizenship Legislation Passes Senate
A bill to change Canada’s Citizenship Act has finally been passed by the Senate with amendments, bringing the legislation closer than ever to becoming law. As a result of this bill, immigrants to Canada would be able to apply for Canadian citizenship earlier and more easily than before.

In a vote of 45 for, 29 against, and zero abstentions, Bill C-6 passed the Senate at around 4 p.m. on May 3, 2017. Senators in Ottawa have asked their colleagues in the House of Commons to review the bill, including amendments added by the Senate after the draft bill was previously passed by the House of Commons in June of last year. The bill must receive royal assent before becoming law."
Cheers :) :)

saph498

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
sukhi7 said:

Todays News:

A bill to change Canada’s Citizenship Act has finally been passed by the Senate with amendments, bringing the legislation closer than ever to becoming law. As a result of this bill, immigrants to Canada would be able to apply for Canadian citizenship earlier and more easily than before.

In a vote of 45 for, 29 against, and zero abstentions, Bill C-6 passed the Senate at around 4 p.m. on May 3, 2017. Senators in Ottawa have asked their colleagues in the House of Commons to review the bill, including amendments added by the Senate after the draft bill was previously passed by the House of Commons in June of last year. The bill must receive royal assent before becoming law."
when can we apply based on new rule?

Danielehi

Aug 15, 2012
a) If you have been 2 years on a VISA (Study or work) prior to becoming PR. That counts as 1 (50% time)

b) 2 years after becoming a PR.

a+b=1+2=3

a and b have to take place in the last 5 years. Anything before 5 years does not count.

I assume - if everything goes well - Applications should be allowed by Dec 2017. :eek: Don't quote me on this :-\ It is an estimate.

bmm651

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Danielehi said:
a) If you have been 2 years on a VISA (Study or work) prior to becoming PR. That counts as 1 (50% time)

b) 2 years after becoming a PR.

a+b=1+2=3

a and b have to take place in the last 5 years. Anything before 5 years does not count.

I assume - if everything goes well - Applications should be allowed by Dec 2017. :eek: Don't quote me on this :-\ It is an estimate.
i hv question like i will get my pr in Jan 2018. At that time i will finish my 6 yrs in canada ( 2yr study+4yr wp)=6.
it means 3 yr (50%)will count right?
and after pr spend 1 yr in canada(2018 to 2019 after pr yr)
3+1=4. then can i apply citizenship in jan 2019? is that right?

Paris971

Mar 12, 2017
I received this email today :

Recently, you contacted my office regarding Bill C-6: An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act. As an elected-Senator from Alberta, I value the opinions and views of Albertans and Canadians on matters of importance.

Today, Bill C-6 has been adopted at third reading, as amended by the Senate. The Bill now returns to the House of Commons with three amendments passed by Senators. One significant improvement is a Senate amendment that creates due process for citizens who face losing their Canadian citizenship because of allegations of fraud or misrepresentation. Without this amendment, Canadians face an unjust administrative process and fewer safeguards than anyone wishing to challenge a parking ticket.
Conservative senators guess who will become Canadian citizen ?

The french guy !

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
sukhi7 said:

Todays News:

I believe with these amendments still conditions of presence of 183 days in each calendar year for 3 years will still apply.

Any expert comments please.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bmm651 said:
i hv question like i will get my pr in Jan 2018. At that time i will finish my 6 yrs in canada ( 2yr study+4yr wp)=6.
it means 3 yr (50%)will count right?
and after pr spend 1 yr in canada(2018 to 2019 after pr yr)
3+1=4. then can i apply citizenship in jan 2019? is that right?
No you will not be able to claim 3 years pre PR time. The max you can claim is 1 year. So if you do receive your PR in January 2018 and did not leave the country from Jan 2016 to Jan 2020 you will be eligiable in January 2020.

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
maninder.gta said:
Is Bill C-6 passed?

Is it effective from today?

If not, when will it be effective from?
Please read the procedure at link below

https://sencanada.ca/en/about/how-bill-becomes-law

We have crossed 3rd reading in one and half year. Fingers crossed.