+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
biotemptation said:
Hey, in the last sitting the majority of the senators voted against the residency requirement amendment proposed by the Conservatives (Frum and Eaton), so yes, we are for sure at 3/5 now.

The next sitting (beginning of May) will be to discuss and vote on the last amendment (which has nothing to do with residency), and after that, the bill will be read a 3rd time. After the 3rd reading, the bill will sent back to the House of Commons for a final vote. The house of commons can either pass the bill with all the added amendments (which I hope they do), or reject the amended form of the bill and send it back to senate for debate. All in all, Senator Mobina Jaffer is hopeful that the bill will be finalized and passed (royal assent) before the summer break (i.e. during the month of June).
thanks for update ..now need to wait June and see what happens..

Canada 1

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
Med's Request
04-25-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-07-2012
LANDED..........
05-29-2013
biotemptation said:
Hey, in the last sitting the majority of the senators voted against the residency requirement amendment proposed by the Conservatives (Frum and Eaton), so yes, we are for sure at 3/5 now.

The next sitting (beginning of May) will be to discuss and vote on the last amendment (which has nothing to do with residency), and after that, the bill will be read a 3rd time. After the 3rd reading, the bill will sent back to the House of Commons for a final vote. The house of commons can either pass the bill with all the added amendments (which I hope they do), or reject the amended form of the bill and send it back to senate for debate. All in all, Senator Mobina Jaffer is hopeful that the bill will be finalized and passed (royal assent) before the summer break (i.e. during the month of June).
Thank you this is perfect news !!! Hoping for the best in summers.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
biotemptation said:
All in all, Senator Mobina Jaffer is hopeful that the bill will be finalized and passed (royal assent) before the summer break (i.e. during the month of June).
Last year the immigration minister (McCallum) had hoped it will be passed by canada day in 2016...

So even though the Senator "hopes" it gets done in june, it might still take ages..no one knows really :mad:

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
emamabd said:
Last year the immigration minister (McCallum) had hoped it will be passed by canada day in 2016...

So even though the Senator "hopes" it gets done in june, it might still take ages..no one knows really :mad:
Very True. Another battle will start post Royal Assent. C-24 took 9 days till Royal assent but 1 year for implementation (which CIC will decide). Assuming it goes in June (Royal assent - which is a long shot), you are still looking for more than a year before it actually kicks off. And with accumulated backlog its going to generate, God knows how much time will take after that....

I am not trying to be all depressed BUT setting expectations straight. Liberals had made C-6 passage the 'real' (which it shouldn't) fight but for people looking for quicker citizenship - Implementation would be real fight.

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
amitshipra said:
Very True. Another battle will start post Royal Assent. C-24 took 9 days till Royal assent but 1 year for implementation (which CIC will decide). Assuming it goes in June (Royal assent - which is a long shot), you are still looking for more than a year before it actually kicks off. And with accumulated backlog its going to generate, God knows how much time will take after that....

I am not trying to be all depressed BUT setting expectations straight. Liberals had made C-6 passage the 'real' (which it shouldn't) fight but for people looking for quicker citizenship - Implementation would be real fight.
And the filibustering still goes on with another stupid amendment to be discussed next week on Tuesday at the Senate. The amendment proposed this time is by Senator Daniel Lang:

1. http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/12/get-on-canadas-team--and-revoke-terrorists-citizenship
2. http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/15/get-tough-on-dual-national-terrorists-senator-urges

PLEASE Take Action here: https://bccla.good.do/citizenship/lang1/

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
amitshipra said:

It is true that the actual implementation of the 3/5 rule will not occur for some time after the Bill receives Royal Assent. But there will be no battle or contest about when. That will be an entirely administrative decision based on when IRCC is prepared to implement the changes (including, for example, revising the presence calculator, preparing new application forms and instructions, revising internal practice instructions, and so on, along with some discretionary but nonetheless logistics oriented judgments about the best date to make the change). The Bill C-24 changes were far more complicated, including shifting the whole framework from a residency requirement to a physical presence requirement. Moreover, in important respects the Bill C-6 changes simplify the requirements, which should make the transition relatively easier.

In any event, it may take a full year beyond the date of Royal Assent, but it is not likely to take that long let alone longer. And again, there will be no battle involved, just the Minister of IRCC letting the PM know when it is ready and then the PM together with some members of the cabinet deciding what date to advise the Governor in Council to order the changes to take effect.

As for apprehensions about a new backlog:

Sure, the date the changes take effect there will be more than a hundred thousand, perhaps a couple hundred thousand PRs who, as of that date, are suddenly eligible. So there is bound to be a big surge in applications made. And that, in turn, is likely to result in a longer processing time . . . temporarily . . . but it is impossible to forecast the actual scope of this, and a lot depends on the extent to which IRCC is prepared for the increased number of applications.

In the meantime, within a year of the changes taking effect, the number of new applications being made will begin to dramatically decline toward long term norms. The long term impact on processing times should be minimal.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Anvatrix said:
And the filibustering still goes on with another stupid amendment to be discussed next week on Tuesday at the Senate. The amendment proposed this time is by Senator Daniel Lang:

1. http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/12/get-on-canadas-team--and-revoke-terrorists-citizenship
2. http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/15/get-tough-on-dual-national-terrorists-senator-urges

PLEASE Take Action here: https://bccla.good.do/citizenship/lang1/
SENT !!

Paris971

Mar 12, 2017
Sent... it's pissing me off... They are playing like kids and dont get a lot of people are depending of this law...

I hope for the consevative party, we wont get our citizenship before the next election...

Paris971

Mar 12, 2017
And about the Toronto Sun :

Is it a newspaper or some kind of new super expensive toilet papers ?

They call this the "terrorist citizenship". Why ? Because of 218 counter terrorist targets. We are 360000 who immigrate in Canada each year.

It means 0.06% of all immigrants by year. Or 0.015% by 4 years. I think my loto max ticket has more luck to make me millionaire...

saph498

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

I had been a student in Canada under study permit for 6 years. I got my PR status on September 2015. I am living in Canada as a permanent resident for approximately 1 year and 7 month.

Do you whether I will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, after Bill C-6 is confirmed, or not?

biotemptation

Star Member
Oct 30, 2013
dpenabill said:
Sure, the date the changes take effect there will be more than a hundred thousand, perhaps a couple hundred thousand PRs who, as of that date, are suddenly eligible. So there is bound to be a big surge in applications made. And that, in turn, is likely to result in a longer processing time . . . temporarily . . . but it is impossible to forecast the actual scope of this, and a lot depends on the extent to which IRCC is prepared for the increased number of applications.

In the meantime, within a year of the changes taking effect, the number of new applications being made will begin to dramatically decline toward long term norms. The long term impact on processing times should be minimal.
you are all right ... I already passed 3/5 residency time and I'm no longer waiting the bill #C6 ... cause I have been waiting for a year to be able to apply yet nothing change !

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
Paris971 said:
And about the Toronto Sun :

Is it a newspaper or some kind of new super expensive toilet papers ?

They call this the "terrorist citizenship". Why ? Because of 218 counter terrorist targets. We are 360000 who immigrate in Canada each year.

It means 0.06% of all immigrants by year. Or 0.015% by 4 years. I think my loto max ticket has more luck to make me millionaire...
You are right, it is a conservative super expensive toilet paper :) It is expensive and totally useless...

On a different note: last week I was going home from work and guess whom I have seen on the Parking lot near my office? Mr. Chris Alexander...the former minister of citizenship and immigration from Harper era, the one who has been pushing Bill C-24. When I was passing by him I was soooo angry! :mad:

saph498

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
Hi

I had been a student in Canada under study permit for 6 years. I got my PR status on September 2015. I am living in Canada as a permanent resident for approximately 1 year and 7 month.

Do you whether I will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, after Bill C-6 is confirmed, or not?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
saph498 said:
Hi

The answer to your question could be yes or no, depending on when it will pass and implement