+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

richard1234

Sep 1, 2014
ALM123 said:
Does it have to go to the report stage or will it go to the third reading directly ?
Referred to Committee. As I mentioned before; bill needs some amendments. Hopefully, committee amends nicely.

hmirzaei

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
My friends, Do the committee members vote on bill or all the senators? What is the procedure? Or maybe committee only does the amendments?

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
artin2015 said:
finally second reading is finish and goes for third reading maybe tommorrow or next week
Wow. What an incredibly pleasant surprise to come on here this evening and to read that C-6 has at long last advanced to the next stage. I'm feeling very happy tonight.

anamono

Dec 15, 2016
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the current situation I'm in. I landed May 2013. I wasn't eligible to apply under the old system in time (before C-24). I still have about 300 days left to satisfy current requirements (under C-24). If bill C-6 goes effective right now, I should be eligible to apply immediately. Unfortunately, I'm going to be transferred by the company I work for here in Canada to work in another country (for the same company) possibly sometime in January. The country I'm being transferred to, is the country I'm currently a citizen of. This transfer will likely be permanent or for the coming 2 years at least.

My question is, if the bill passes after I leave Canada, say I leave in mid January and bill becomes law sometime in February, would I still be eligible to apply considering that I have satisfied the requirements in terms of physical presence? Is being currently living in Canada a requirement when applying?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
anamono said:
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the current situation I'm in. I landed May 2013. I wasn't eligible to apply under the old system in time (before C-24). I still have about 300 days left to satisfy current requirements (under C-24). If bill C-6 goes effective right now, I should be eligible to apply immediately. Unfortunately, I'm going to be transferred by the company I work for here in Canada to work in another country (for the same company) possibly sometime in January. The country I'm being transferred to, is the country I'm currently a citizen of. This transfer will likely be permanent or for the coming 2 years at least.

My question is, if the bill passes after I leave Canada, say I leave in mid January and bill becomes law sometime in February, would I still be eligible to apply considering that I have satisfied the requirements in terms of physical presence? Is being currently living in Canada a requirement when applying?
There is no point guessing this... first of all, there is no way it would become law in February , as many people have suspected, it probably won't until end of 2017 or later. Also, even under the old system, if you leave right after submitting application it would still be a red flag, I know someone whose application was stuck for over 3 years and finally got approval a year after she returned to Canada

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
ChippyBoy said:
Wow. What an incredibly pleasant surprise to come on here this evening and to read that C-6 has at long last advanced to the next stage. I'm feeling very happy tonight.
everyone who has waiting for apply citizenship they are happy so just pray to finish committe as soon as possible too

galant

Dec 28, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
Hi All
Is senate working next week? The official senate working calendar shows it is working till 23 December.
Let us be positive for next week.
Thanks

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
This bill is half half and should be ammended, many issues are not addressed including the part on revoking citizenship. This should be returned to house of common. I know most of you only care about the 3/5 but let be real, the 3/5 will not be applied any time soon even if the bill passed

surya99

Star Member
Oct 25, 2016
galant said:
Hi All
Is senate working next week? The official senate working calendar shows it is working till 23 December.
Let us be positive for next week.
Thanks
No senates are gone for vacations. They will be back on 31st Jan 2017

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
surya99 said:
No senates are gone for vacations. They will be back on 31st Jan 2017
Having rung a senator's staffer earlier today, I understand that Senate committees won't be meeting now until early February, and that the effective date for Bill C-6 will be decided by the Minister at the Third Reading in the House of Commons &/or at the Royal Assent stage.

Need Canadian Pr

Jan 25, 2015
ChippyBoy said:
Having rung a senator's staffer earlier today, I understand that Senate committees won't be meeting now until early February, and that the effective date for Bill C-6 will be decided by the Minister at the Third Reading in the House of Commons &/or at the Royal Assent stage.
if senator finally disagree to pass c6

then what would be the way

can immigration minister pass this bill or the Royal Assent

Sorry i do not have much idea how it works

but i wish this bill will pass by end of 2017

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Need Canadian Pr said:
if senator finally disagree to pass c6

then what would be the way

can immigration minister pass this bill or the Royal Assent

Sorry i do not have much idea how it works

but i wish this bill will pass by end of 2017
The Bill is expected to undergo some amendments in the Senate, before then having to be returned to the House of Commons. No, the Minister cannot unilaterally pass this Bill himself; no Canadian minister (not even the PM himself, or the Queen of Canada herself) can enact any piece of legislation unilaterally. Bill C-6 should become law during 2017, hopefully earlier rather than later in the year, and hopefully with a prompt effective date, in order to promptly undo the injustices of C-24.

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
CICOtawa said:
I think everyone of us have to write a letter to Liberal senators and ask them for prompt actions
Why don't we just start an online petition here: https://www.change.org/start-a-petition

We can write the text of the letter to Members of Parliament (both Liberals and Conservatives) and with the help of Change.org petition send the letter to a particular person in the Parliament. Each and every time there is a new supporter of the petition the Change.org automatically sends an email to the addressee in the Parliament.

Shall we start drafting a letter here in this topic?