+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you dpenabill for the valuable information, now my other question if you allow me is: does obtaining the citizenship under any of the different laws in effect (call it 3/5 or 4/6 or whatever) have any different implications on the future life of the new Canadian citizen I mean the rights and duties.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
oldfriend said:
Thank you dpenabill for the valuable information, now my other question if you allow me is: does obtaining the citizenship under any of the different laws in effect (call it 3/5 or 4/6 or whatever) have any different implications on the future life of the new Canadian citizen I mean the rights and duties.
No difference. Once a citizen, each is the same as any other citizen. (Well, there are some differences such as regarding whose children will be a citizen by descent if the child is born abroad, but that does not depend on what law governed at the time of naturalization, at the time of the grant; and indeed, the children of naturalized citizens are citizens by descent regardless where they are born.)

Or, as Justin was wont to say, A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."

Wiseman

Star Member
May 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-12-2014
Med's Request
yes
Med's Done....
yes
Passport Req..
yes
Hi guys,

I was an international student from September 2007 to July 2011. I left Canada immediately after that and since then I have never been back to Canada. I am going to land in Canada in April 2016 because my PR application has recently been approved. I have one question: will I be credited for maximum 1 year for the days when I was an international student in Canada when applying for citizenship? Thank you guys.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Wiseman said:
Hi guys,

I was an international student from September 2007 to July 2011. I left Canada immediately after that and since then I have never been back to Canada. I am going to land in Canada in April 2016 because my PR application has recently been approved. I have one question: will I be credited for maximum 1 year for the days when I was an international student in Canada when applying for citizenship? Thank you guys.
well the current rule is 4/6, and it might change in the future to 3/5..so by the time you qualify for citizenship the period before 2011 will fall outside that window

rahuls

Aug 18, 2013
seems like there is discussion ongoing this week on this bill .
checked at CIMM
Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration Committees

kidbroker

Feb 18, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 1st 2016
rahuls said:
seems like there is discussion ongoing this week on this bill .
checked at CIMM
Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration Committees
Yep, but nothing updated on the legisinfo or openparliament website

NewPRReciever

Jun 11, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kidbroker said:
Yep, but nothing updated on the legisinfo or openparliament website
There was a senate audio on ParlVu, it has completed. No real conclusion probably a few more sessions before anything conclusive has been provided.

kidbroker

Feb 18, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 1st 2016
NewPRReciever said:
There was a senate audio on ParlVu, it has completed. No real conclusion probably a few more sessions before anything conclusive has been provided.
Interesting, I have only seen the webcast recording. Could you provide link to the senate audio?
Thanks!

NewPRReciever

Jun 11, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kidbroker said:
Interesting, I have only seen the webcast recording. Could you provide link to the senate audio?
Thanks!
Here you go

senparlvu . parl . gc . ca /XRender/

There are some options that say audio only, the CIMM meeting yesterday was one of those.
Sorry about the weird spacing, I wasn't able to post the actual links.

kat87

Apr 26, 2016
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I might be thinking too far ahead but I’m just wondering about my plans since I’m anxiously waiting for the implementation of the 3/5 rule in this bill. I landed here as PR 2014, went out of the country for a month on March 2016 to get married to my husband based on another country. So if ever this bill comes into effect next year, I can then apply for citizenship.

Now my questions are:
Once I completed my residency requirements and submitted my citizenship application, can I go on vacation (just for a month) out of Canada while waiting for my application to be processed? Will it not affect my application at all?

Since I migrated here when I was still single and my records with CIC (landing paper) have my maiden name, is it better not to change my last name before applying for citizenship?

P.S I have no plans of sponsoring my husband since I’ll be the one who’s relocating to his country. I’d rather he comes visit me instead but due to family reasons he just can’t.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
kat87 said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I might be thinking too far ahead but I’m just wondering about my plans since I’m anxiously waiting for the implementation of the 3/5 rule in this bill. I landed here as PR 2014, went out of the country for a month on March 2016 to get married to my husband based on another country. So if ever this bill comes into effect next year, I can then apply for citizenship.

Now my questions are:
Once I completed my residency requirements and submitted my citizenship application, can I go on vacation (just for a month) out of Canada while waiting for my application to be processed? Will it not affect my application at all?

Since I migrated here when I was still single and my records with CIC (landing paper) have my maiden name, is it better not to change my last name before applying for citizenship?

P.S I have no plans of sponsoring my husband since I’ll be the one who’s relocating to his country. I’d rather he comes visit me instead but due to family reasons he just can’t.
Traveling abroad for a month will not cause any issues to your application. If you want to change your last name you can do it now, and with your citizenship application include a document that confirms your name change (such as certificate of marriage).

qjzhou

May 4, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The House Committees had a meeting yesterday. I didn't see any other meeting scheduled in the near future. What was the procedure? Was it the third reading?

Thanks.

blackwine

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Richmond
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
25-01-2013
AOR Received.
26-04-2013
Med's Request
03-07-2013
Med's Done....
08-07-2013
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
LANDED..........
14-01-2014
qjzhou said:
The House Committees had a meeting yesterday. I didn't see any other meeting scheduled in the near future. What was the procedure? Was it the third reading?

Thanks.
I have the same question, anyone could help?