+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Politren said:
Don't forget that the anticipated effective date for the current rules came approx. one year after the Royal Assent. It is reasonable to assume that there will be another grace period IF/WHEN this Bill gets Royal Assent.
Friday i was listening a radio talk show with MP Rubi Sahota even she didn't say any date or month but from the conversation i assume that C-6 bill will be effected in few months.

rmorgan

Jan 24, 2015
People,

Robw posted this concerning bit of news on how the Conservative Senators plan to block Bill C-6:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-tory-senators-vow-to-fight-changes-to-citizenship-laws-for-dual-nationals

"While it is highly unlikely the Senate’s Conservative majority would defeat C-6 – the Senate has defeated only six government bills since 1945 — Conservative Sen. Vern White said the bill could be sent back to the House of Commons with amendments, such as delaying its coming into force for five years"

Your comments would be welcome. Perhaps it is a good idea if more of us send in that letter of thanks to the Minister/MPs. I had already started a thread for that purpose "Thanking the Liberal Government for Bill C-6 - Sample Letter/Email".

Cheers

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
i'm really puzzled by why he wants to delay the bill for exactly 5 years ???? not 3 , 4 or 2 years

I guess the answer is clear , the conservatives know very well the earlier the liberals will pass this law , more Canadians will vote against them .......

5 years would be just fine for the next federal election to be over

aililia

Star Member
Nov 12, 2012
Assigning new senators for 22 vacant positions by PM will most likely solve it!

rmorgan said:
People,

Robw posted this concerning bit of news on how the Conservative Senators plan to block Bill C-6:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-tory-senators-vow-to-fight-changes-to-citizenship-laws-for-dual-nationals

"While it is highly unlikely the Senate’s Conservative majority would defeat C-6 – the Senate has defeated only six government bills since 1945 — Conservative Sen. Vern White said the bill could be sent back to the House of Commons with amendments, such as delaying its coming into force for five years"

Your comments would be welcome. Perhaps it is a good idea if more of us send in that letter of thanks to the Minister/MPs. I had already started a thread for that purpose "Thanking the Liberal Government for Bill C-6 - Sample Letter/Email".

Cheers

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aililia said:
Assigning new senators for 22 vacant positions by PM will most likely solve it!
He won't do that. At least not until there is a clear signal from CPC that they will use their majority in the senate to block Lib. legislation.

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
I am scared to post this questions, as might sounds like weird as I am counting my days left to be eligible for citizenship application as bill C-6 becomes effective. Here, I go

"Is there any criteria or rule that says if you stay outside Canada for more than 90 days you can't count that years towards your stay period?

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks,

Raj

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
RajGill said:
I am scared to post this questions, as might sounds like weird as I am counting my days left to be eligible for citizenship application as bill C-6 becomes effective. Here, I go

"Is there any criteria or rule that says if you stay outside Canada for more than 90 days you can't count that years towards your stay period?

Thanks,

Raj
There is no such thing.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RajGill said:

Thanks,

Raj
Hello Raj,

under the current law (SCCA):
You must be physically present for at least 1,460 days in 6 years.
You must also be physically present for at least 183 days in any four of these 6 years.

Under the future law (An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act):
You must be physically present for at least 1095 days in 5 years.

In both cases, staying overseas for 90 days does not make you ineligible.

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks Politern. Your feedback brought the relief. Could you correct me how I count my stay

Year 1 - 365 Days from my previous Non-PR stay.I received my PR in April 2014 out of which till date I completed 501 days. Total 866 days with this lacking 1095-866 days = 229 days.

I will be able to meet the citizenship application criteria by Aug 2016.

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Hello Diplomatru -

In both cases, staying overseas for 90 days does not make you ineligible. Could you pleas explain this?

As if 1095 days stay period come in effect, I could count 365 days of my non-PR stay and then add 2 years PR stay as I got PR in April 2014 though I stayed in my country for more than 90 days because of marriage. I am lacking 230 days to meet citizenship eligibility.

Though, in addition to this I completed the condition of 183 days /year for 2014, 2015 and here comes 2016 (on going).

Could you correct me, if I am doing wrong calculations.

Raj

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RajGill said:
Hello Diplomatru -

In both cases, staying overseas for 90 days does not make you ineligible. Could you pleas explain this?

As if 1095 days stay period come in effect, I could count 365 days of my non-PR stay and then add 2 years PR stay as I got PR in April 2014 though I stayed in my country for more than 90 days because of marriage. I am lacking 230 days to meet citizenship eligibility.

Though, in addition to this I completed the condition of 183 days /year for 2014, 2015 and here comes 2016 (on going).

Could you correct me, if I am doing wrong calculations.

Raj
As Politren told you 90 days out of Canada is not a problem.
If you want to have a clear picture, use the official tool to see when you'll be able to apply under current rules. https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
As for C-6, if you really want it to become law, you need to get proactive with your MP and make yourself heard. It's more important than debating on potential application dates. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thanking-liberal-government-for-c6-sample-letteremail-t400331.0.html

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
RajGill as Diplomatru advised you, now it's too early for calculations.
The best option is to wait until the new online calculator become available and it will show you exactly when you will be eligible.

Now under the current rule for example both days count as presence when you departure and when you come back. It was surprise for everybody that it calculates both days.
Under the old rules only one of these day was counted.

This is just to illustrate that there might be hidden little very important details which might be revealed after the new online calculator is published.

This is why I always try to avoid giving my opinion regarding calculation on private cases. Nobody knows all the small details yet.