+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist visa applied for from the Philippines

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
My Filipino girlfriend (26 years old) did her biometrics in Manila on the 29th of December. We are waiting for her tourist visa application to be approved (hopefully) so we can go to Canada a few weeks after that. I'm a Canadian (28 years old) and I'm living in Manila with her. We also have a 10 month old daughter who received her temporary Canadian passport (good for two years) almost a month ago. My question is, based on the information above and the current situation with Covid 19 how long might it take for my gf's tourist visa to be approved (we applied under family reunification and my parents are the sponsors)?

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
My Filipino girlfriend (26 years old) did her biometrics in Manila on the 29th of December. We are waiting for her tourist visa application to be approved (hopefully) so we can go to Canada a few weeks after that. I'm a Canadian (28 years old) and I'm living in Manila with her. We also have a 10 month old daughter who received her temporary Canadian passport (good for two years) almost a month ago. My question is, based on the information above and the current situation with Covid 19 how long might it take for my gf's tourist visa to be approved (we applied under family reunification and my parents are the sponsors)?
I applied under family reunification. My daughter is my parents' first grandchild. I am hoping that the visa will be approved. I think my parents meeting their first granchild for the first time is a good enough reason for my gf to go to Canada. Hopefully whoever looks at the application will think so too.

flores

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
we applied for my sis in law, also reunification, but our ,main reason is to accompany our children to travel to canada from phili. feb 1 lodge feb 18 approved.
did she apply for more than 6 mos, did she have her medical.
for us we only apply for less than 6 mos.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
we applied for my sis in law, also reunification, but our ,main reason is to accompany our children to travel to canada from phili. feb 1 lodge feb 18 approved.
We had no request for a medical. On Canada.ca it says we don't need one, but we'll be updated if that changes.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied under family reunification. My daughter is my parents' first grandchild. I am hoping that the visa will be approved. I think my parents meeting their first granchild for the first time is a good enough reason for my gf to go to Canada. Hopefully whoever looks at the application will think so too.
Your girlfriend also needs written authorization to travel unless you marry or can prove common-law.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
When we applied it wasn't asked if it was under or over six months. We just put our travel dates as March 5th to July 11th, but obviously we won't be able to leave March 5th.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
Your girlfriend also needs written authorization to travel unless you marry or can prove common-law.
We put down Common law. We have been living together in Manila since January 2020. We haven't been asked to prove it yet.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
You may have issues so make sure you have all the documentation to prove it.
Issues just with the common law thing or other things too? I have photos, hotel receipts, and likely other proof I've been living with my gf since January 2020.

flores

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
When we applied it wasn't asked if it was under or over six months. We just put our travel dates as March 5th to July 11th, but obviously we won't be able to leave March 5th.
before you apply in the gckey, or lodge it will be stating if you are eligible to apply, there is question for how many months, in your case if your gf will be staying for long she needs to have medical, i think only those less than 6 months are ok for no medical

Reactions: JoeJD

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
before you apply in the gckey, or lodge it will be stating if you are eligible to apply, there is question for how many months, in your case if your gf will be staying for long she needs to have medical, i think only those less than 6 months are ok for no medical
Yes. In that case it must be under six months. Thanks for the clarification. Weird how it is taking so long. Not only am I Canadian with a CAD passport, but so does our daughter. I thought that would help my gf get the tourist visa sooner.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Issues just with the common law thing or other things too? I have photos, hotel receipts, and likely other proof I've been living with my gf since January 2020.
Common law. How do hotel receipts prove common law. You may need to show leases, bills etc. Picture don’t show that you have been living together continuously for a year.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
Common law. How do hotel receipts prove common law. You may need to show leases, bills etc. Picture don’t show that you have been living together continuously for a year.
What kind of leases and bills? Just asking to check if I can actually prove we're common law. How would someone prove they're common law in a case like mine. My gf and I were staying at hotels from January to March, at her parents from March to June, and then we have had our own apartment from June till now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your GF may have a lot of trouble getting a TRV because there will be concerns that you, your gf and your child will want to remain in Canada. In your application did you include proof that you are common law and proof that you will be returning to the Philippines? You have requested a 4 month visit in Canada which shows that you don’t have very strong ties to the Philippines like a job you must return to right away. You need to provide proof that you will not be staying in Canada and that you are common law. Things like a job, a lease, commitments later this year in the Philippines, etc. For a TRV you won’t be asked for more information you’ll just be denied and will have to reapply. I would suggest submitting information via a webform if you have not included it in your original application.

JoeJD

Feb 24, 2021
Your GF may have a lot of trouble getting a TRV because there will be concerns that you, your gf and your child will want to remain in Canada. In your application did you include proof that you are common law and proof that you will be returning to the Philippines? You have requested a 4 month visit in Canada which shows that you don’t have very strong ties to the Philippines like a job you must return to right away. You need to provide proof that you will not be staying in Canada and that you are common law. Things like a job, a lease, commitments later this year in the Philippines, etc. For a TRV you won’t be asked for more information you’ll just be denied and will have to reapply. I would suggest submitting information via a webform if you have not included it in your original application.
Alright. What kind of proof can I provide to show we are common-law? Also, I looked at the suggestions provided by the IRCC to prove my gf wants to return to Manila. I provided what I could, but the problem is she doesn't have a job right now because we have a baby we are busy taking care of, we have a cheap apartment because we aren't rich, and that's pretty much it.