+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

totally confused

colleensmith

Jul 20, 2008
I am moving to Canada within the next two months or so and I have absolutely NO idea where to begin. Of course I don't want to give up my US citizenship, I just want to move to be with my boyfirend and get married next year. Anyone know where I start? Thanks for any help you can provide.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
You are not allowed to move to Canada without a visa. You can visit for up to 6 months at a time without a visa. The Canadian border people will not let you enter if they think you are moving in permanently. They will not let you bring your stuff. If you do, you will be refused entry. If you tell them that you are visiting your boyfriend and plan to marry, you will be refused entry. The proper way to start is to apply to immigrate to Canada. Go to the website and follow th links.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Good luck!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is absolutely no reason why you would ever have to give up your US citizenship. Even if you would get to the point that you would want to get Canadian citizenship, you can be dual. You can marry your boyfriend and he can sponsor you to immigrate. If you choose to come and live in Canada while you apply for this, you can't work until the paperwork is through. If you stay in the US while you apply, you can live there and work and come visit your boyfriend when you want. If you don't want to marry him yet for some reason, you can try applying to immigrate on your own. Read the immigration website and see if you would qualify as a skilled. If you apply for Bunac, you can come to Canada and work for a year. Also make sure you are taking lots of pictures and saving emails and phonebills in case you ever have to prove to immigration that your marriage is real.