+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto Short Landing - Driver License related Items

hotshot007

Apr 6, 2015
Hello all,

I'll be doing a short landing (2 weeks) with my family and was wondering if anything can be done in terms of starting the Ontario drivers license process. I understand it maybe too short of a time but just wanted to see if I can do anything preliminary at least.

Also, for someone who has been driving in another country and can't exchange his license, how long is the process?

Also would anyone know that if I move permanently after 1 year of my short landing and have a valid issued international license around that date, if I can use that for 3 month period even if my landing was over a year ago.

I appreciate your time and comments.

Thank you.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
hotshot007 said:
Hello all,

I'll be doing a short landing (2 weeks) with my family and was wondering if anything can be done in terms of starting the Ontario drivers license process. I understand it maybe too short of a time but just wanted to see if I can do anything preliminary at least.

Also, for someone who has been driving in another country and can't exchange his license, how long is the process?

Also would anyone know that if I move permanently after 1 year of my short landing and have a valid issued international license around that date, if I can use that for 3 month period even if my landing was over a year ago.

I appreciate your time and comments.

Thank you.
You can write a written test for G1 license. But you will need address proof, which will be difficult given you are doing a short landg.
You can get credit for your driving history in another country. To be able to get this credit, you need to get an extract of your license and driving history from the relevant authority of your country.

Normally there is wait between upgrading from G1 to G2 and G2 to G licenses. You can get a waiver on these waits with the extract. You must produce the extract when appearing for G1 written exam.

International licenses are usually valid for 3 months from the date they are issued. But as you are officially landing now, I am not sure if you can use your international license later.

pradz

Feb 24, 2016
alok4best said:
You can write a written test for G1 license. But you will need address proof, which will be difficult given you are doing a short landg.
You can get credit for your driving history in another country. To be able to get this credit, you need to get an extract of your license and driving history from the relevant authority of your country.

Normally there is wait between upgrading from G1 to G2 and G2 to G licenses. You can get a waiver on these waits with the extract. You must produce the extract when appearing for G1 written exam.

International licenses are usually valid for 3 months from the date they are issued. But as you are officially landing now, I am not sure if you can use your international license later.

Hi Alok,

I have signed up at drivetest for the knowledge test and have 7 yrs + driving experience from Mumbai however there is no letterhead at Mumbai RTO on which they can authenticate. I have an IDP from the RTO with me but drivetest did not accept that. The consulate at Toronto does not issue letters Lips sealed

How do I work around this any pointers?

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
i managed to get a printout (which shows details of my current driver's license) from my country's traffic dept. but there's no letterhead. however, they did stamp the printout for me! will this be enough?

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
I will be landing in Toronto in June for a week and would like to take the G1 written exam while there. I have driven for 5 years in US and I have written proof for 2 years out of 5. What kind of documentation is needed to take the test - SIN card etc? Will a letter from my bank with relative's address be sufficient for proof of address? Also is the Ontario G1 driving manual online? (If so, can someone post a link). Thanks and any information is much appreciated.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
anandg12 said:
I will be landing in Toronto in June for a week and would like to take the G1 written exam while there. I have driven for 5 years in US and I have written proof for 2 years out of 5. What kind of documentation is needed to take the test - SIN card etc? Will a letter from my bank with relative's address be sufficient for proof of address? Also is the Ontario G1 driving manual online? (If so, can someone post a link). Thanks and any information is much appreciated.
You normally need an ID and address proof to take the test. A bank statement with the address should be fine, in addition to your Passport.
Ontario driving manual is available for download online. However, it is not free. It costs 15 dollars. Alternatively, you can take up free practice tests on G1 dot ca

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
alok4best said:
You normally need an ID and address proof to take the test. A bank statement with the address should be fine, in addition to your Passport.
Ontario driving manual is available for download online. However, it is not free. It costs 15 dollars. Alternatively, you can take up free practice tests on G1 dot ca
Hi Alok, thanks for your reply. Is this the link for G1 drivers manual? - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml Seems like it is free but only available online, no PDF.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
anandg12 said:
Hi Alok, thanks for your reply. Is this the link for G1 drivers manual? - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml Seems like it is free but only available online, no PDF.
Yes, that would work. in addition, you can also go through the online tests at G1.ca