+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for a successful BOWP application

senecanking

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hello,

while applying for BOWP online, i encountered following 3 options. which one should I select?

1)Work Permit (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.

2)Temporary Resident Visa
You will need a temporary resident visa to return to Canada.

If you are working or studying in Canada, your temporary resident visa may expire at the same time as your work or study permit. If your work or study permit is expiring soon, please renew your study or work permit first. Once your study or work permit is approved, you may apply for your temporary resident visa.

3)Open Work Permit
You may be eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit.

Thanks,

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Ottawa (CPC-O)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with appln
Med's Request
2nd Feb 2016, 8th Mar 2016 (Additional tests)
Med's Done....
Checkup on 18th Jan 2016 (Upfront), Report submitted on 29th Jan 2016. Additional Medical test report submitted on 26th Feb 2016. 2nd Additional reports submitted on 2nd April.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
7th July 2016 (RPRF requested and paid on 3rd March 2016)
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
Hi All

I gave the questionnaire while applying online and was presented with two IMM5710E forms one for myself and one for my spouse.
Documents reqd for me -
1) Marriage License/Certificate
2) Itinerary, Travel
3) Passport or travel document
4) Digital Photo
5) Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications (IMM5713)
for Spouse -
1) Passport or travel document

I guess i will have to attach AOR with both applications as mine is BOWP

I was filling the form IMM5710E and had following queries.
1) for type of application i will select for both me n spouse-> 'Initial wp or wp with a new employer' right?
2) What should i enter under Name -Addr of Employer for Me (B-OWP) as i am not going to attach offer letter
3) What should i enter under Name -Addr of Employer for Spouse (OWP) as i am not going to attach offer letter
4) Towards the end there are Yes or No checkbox questions. One of them is -> 'Have You previously applied to enter or remain in Canada'. Should i check NO or should i check YES and mention PR application AOR, etc in the explanation box provided below.

Also the fee section shows :
Work Permit> Quantity:2 -> $155 *2 = $310
Open Work Permit Holder Fee> Quantity:1 -> $100
Total: $410

What is this 'Open Work Permit Holder Fee' ?
***UPDATE***
Since Feb 21, 2015 an additional $100 is being charged for Open Work Permits as mentioned towards the end of the page in the link below
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-02-09.asp

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
1) for type of application i will select for both me n spouse-> 'Initial wp or wp with a new employer' right?
That's the one. Doesn't matter too much with the BOWP, so long as you choose one of the top two options. I sent mine by mail, so I was able to check both of the top two options; so I really don't think it matters too much.

2) What should i enter under Name -Addr of Employer for Me (B-OWP) as i am not going to attach offer letter
"BOWP N/A" should do the job.

3) What should i enter under Name -Addr of Employer for Spouse (OWP) as i am not going to attach offer letter
"BOWP N/A" should do the job.

4) Towards the end there are Yes or No checkbox questions. One of them is -> 'Have You previously applied to enter or remain in Canada'. Should i check NO or should i check YES and mention PR application AOR, etc in the explanation box provided below.
Check yes and give your last work permit number. Some people choose to briefly list their various visa apps with dates. I don't think it matters too much, they already have all of your immigration info. This question is a reasonably new one.

SDave

Feb 6, 2015
Do Anyone has idea, Can we apply for BOWP, right after submitting for EE under CEC?? my LMO work permit is expiring in 2016, but I need open WP.

rabi123

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
senecanking said:
Hello,

while applying for BOWP online, i encountered following 3 options. which one should I select?

1)Work Permit (in Canada)
You may be eligible to extend your stay in Canada to work with a work permit.

2)Temporary Resident Visa
You will need a temporary resident visa to return to Canada.

If you are working or studying in Canada, your temporary resident visa may expire at the same time as your work or study permit. If your work or study permit is expiring soon, please renew your study or work permit first. Once your study or work permit is approved, you may apply for your temporary resident visa.

3)Open Work Permit
You may be eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit.

Thanks,
open work permit

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
SDave said:
Do Anyone has idea, Can we apply for BOWP, right after submitting for EE under CEC?? my LMO work permit is expiring in 2016, but I need open WP.
You need less than four months on your current work permit to be eligible for a BOWP.

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Checkup on 18th Jan 2016 (Upfront), Report submitted on 29th Jan 2016. Additional Medical test report submitted on 26th Feb 2016. 2nd Additional reports submitted on 2nd April.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
Hi ppl,

I am going to submit my bowp + spouse owp together online. I know the bowp application does not need my signature.
does the sowp appln need my spouse's signature or is the IMM5713E (use of family member representative for online appln with her signature on it) sufficient?

Also, do i need seperate explanation letters for both applications,i.e. does the online tool give you one or two opportunities to upload additional doc?

Thanks

Ninfo

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Hi All,

Has anyone been in the following situation, if yes, then could you please answer :

Work permit was expiring so applied paper based application for bridging work permit (post graduation wp) before work permit expiry date to gain implied status. While I did not sent work permit support letter along with the application. after few days of applying I got work permit support letter from PNP and sent that as well to CIC.

Now reading this scenarios, has anyone gone through such situation ? and was work permit approved ?

I called cic and asked, they said they do not accept any additional document once the application is sent to them.

Please help !

Thanks.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Ninfo said:
Hi All,

Has anyone been in the following situation, if yes, then could you please answer :

Work permit was expiring so applied paper based application for bridging work permit (post graduation wp) before work permit expiry date to gain implied status. While I did not sent work permit support letter along with the application. after few days of applying I got work permit support letter from PNP and sent that as well to CIC.

Now reading this scenarios, has anyone gone through such situation ? and was work permit approved ?

I called cic and asked, they said they do not accept any additional document once the application is sent to them.

Please help !

Thanks.
If I'm understanding correctly, you tried submitted a BOWP application and subsequently sent the CIC a document to support the BOWP application. That document was a work support letter.

If that's the case, then it was effectively pointless to send the supporting document. The Bridging Open Work Permit is an OPEN work permit. That you have a job, is completely irrelevant.

Did you original application have your AOR?

vnsse

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I try to apply 2nd bowp. And I don't know why am I need Itinerary, Travel and how to upload those.
someone can help me about that?

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
vnsse said:
I try to apply 2nd bowp. And I don't know why am I need Itinerary, Travel and how to upload those.
someone can help me about that?
Yes, asked the same for me. So instead of itinerary i attached a letter mentioning i am curruntly residing and working in canada. I gave my current work permit details and mentioned that i have already attached the workpermit and passport page copies along with the application.

vnsse

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rohangk said:
Yes, asked the same for me. So instead of itinerary i attached a letter mentioning i am curruntly residing and working in canada. I gave my current work permit details and mentioned that i have already attached the workpermit and passport page copies along with the application.
oh!!!! Thank you very much!! just attach my workpermit paper!

rohangk

Dec 4, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th Aug, 2014
AOR Received.
11th Dec, 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14th July 2016
LANDED..........
20th Sept 2016
vnsse said:
oh!!!! Thank you very much!! just attach my workpermit paper!
For Travel i just attached a single page PDF/doc mentioning what i mentioned in the post before, by WP details i mean Client ID, Document No, Exp date etc.
I didnt include WP copy again in this letter as i already had uploaded Explanation Letter + WP copy + AOR email as a single PDF file in the Explanation Letter section.
Also my Passport pages copy includes WP copy.

If you have not already attached WP copy anywhere else then include it as second page in the doc you attach under Itinerary.

hegarty147

Apr 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/10/2014
AOR Received.
12/02/2015
Med's Request
18-03-2016
Med's Done....
21-03-2016 (RPRF Paid Upfront March 29th)
I just attached a letter saying I have been in Canada since 2013. Out of an abundance of caution I attached my flight itinenary from 2013.

vnsse

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it meant;
Itinerary/Travel : comment ei WP details (=Client ID, Document No, Exp date etc)

Add expalnation letter : WP copy&AOR as PDF file.

oops cic gives me headache always :(