+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for a successful BOWP application

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
user2000 said:
Hi guys,

I wanna share my experience with you re the BOWP

I applied last month while my Visa will expire in June which mean 5 months with explanation letter
I got refused due to
1- my visa valid for more than 4 months
2- they claim that I didn't provided evidence that you have received a positive eligibility decision on your PR
application.

In my explanation letter, i mentioned my file/application no plus UCI

My guess is that I should print/scan and then upload the confirmation email that indicate that contains a positive final determination of eligibility

let me know what do you think about that..

Thanks
Sam
You got refused for two reasons, so even if you eliminate the AOR part, you will still be refused based
on the validity of your current work permit.

But yes, I suggest scanning and mailing the AOR along with your BOWP application next time you apply.

user2000

Oct 1, 2013
iam_toby said:
You got refused for two reasons, so even if you eliminate the AOR part, you will still be refused based
on the validity of your current work permit.

But yes, I suggest scanning and mailing the AOR along with your BOWP application next time you apply.
I agree with the reason of visa validity even some ppl got approved with the case more than 4 mons but the AOR!!! I wrote my file no/ UCI loud and clear in the explanation letter with copy of my work permit or there is anything else missing ?!

Anyway, anyone willing to apply he/she must provide a copy of the AOR confirmation email

my question here, should I use the same forms and everything or start a new questionnaire from the beginning

Thanks
Sam

sirisak

Jan 31, 2014
But I would be continuing with the same employer till I find a different job. Is it still ok to select as "new employer" ?

LPS said:
Select "new employer".

This question tends to confuse applicants for open work permits, as the employer details are not applicable. But basically what the question is asking is, 'is this an application for an extension with your current job/employer' (it isn't).
Question

I am applying for BOWP and currently on Closed Work Permit with an employer in Canada.

I have a quick question in filling the IMM5710E form.

In Question 3 -
"I am applying for one or more of the following"
Check box Options -
"A work permit with the same employer"
"An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer"

Form does not let me select both the options. Can you please advise which one do I need to check here?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sirisak said:
But I would be continuing with the same employer till I find a different job. Is it still ok to select as "new employer" ?

Question

I am applying for BOWP and currently on Closed Work Permit with an employer in Canada.

I have a quick question in filling the IMM5710E form.

In Question 3 -
"I am applying for one or more of the following"
Check box Options -
"A work permit with the same employer"
"An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer"

Form does not let me select both the options. Can you please advise which one do I need to check here?
I checked 'New Employer' and got it approved. Guess it doesn't make a difference for BOWP applications, as the BOWP
is an open work permit anyway. I know of people who checked 'Same Employer' and also got the BOWP approved.

jimkal

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2013
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
14-01-2014
Med's Request
10-09-2014
Med's Done....
11-09-2014
Interview........
Non
Passport Req..
01-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
iam_toby said:
I checked 'New Employer' and got it approved. Guess it doesn't make a difference for BOWP applications, as the BOWP
is an open work permit anyway. I know of people who checked 'Same Employer' and also got the BOWP approved.
Hi Iam_toby, do you mean if one does not have a new employer still he can mention and get the BOWP approved. If we select new employer do we have to provide details of the new employer?

ckexploration

Star Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-CTD-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-06-2014
Med's Done....
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-07-2014
LANDED..........
23-08-2014
Good morning guys! I wish I had stayed in bed longer today....
Woke up with a message from CIC about my refusal for the OWP.
They say
- I have not provided evidence that I received a positive eligibility decision on my PR application
- my WP is not expiring within 4 months

I don't get that all! I applied online and uploaded a pdf that contains my letter of explanation, my AOR for the PR application, a scan of my passport and additional info on employment history. If the officer was happy with all these files and never asked for anything else to be uploaded, I assume he/she saw my passport scan and then also the AOR. So why is he/she saying I did not provide evidence for a positive AOR???
My WP expires in November, so I can apply for an BOWP in July.
Not a big help right now...
IS THERE ANY OTHER CHANCE TO GET AN OWP? IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Cause if not... I think my time here in Canada is up for now

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Your BOWP was probably refused for only one reason - the validity of your permit. Wait until you are eligible and then try again.

Strangely, it seems that a few people's BOWP refusal letters contain the same two reasons - one, your permit has longer than four months to go, and two, you did not provide evidence of a positive eligibility decision - even in cases where only one of these reasons is justified.

If you attached an AOR, then this is evidence enough of a positive eligibility decision.

I'm not sure that they ever 'request additional documents' for a work permit application - your application package is either complete or it isn't - and certainly not if the documents you provided are sufficient for them to make a decision.

ckexploration

Star Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-CTD-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-06-2014
Med's Done....
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-07-2014
LANDED..........
23-08-2014
Thanks LPS. I think they have the choices which reason for refusal to put in the letter. Sitting there on a desk with a fresh coffee and then choosing what reasons to put in the letter... and just to piss me off they add the "not provided evidence that you received a positive eligibility decision on your PR application".
I will of course apply in July again! But until then I don't know if I can stay here for 5 months without a job!!! Anybody wants to sponsor me? ;-)

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
jimkal said:
Hi Iam_toby, do you mean if one does not have a new employer still he can mention and get the BOWP approved. If we select new employer do we have to provide details of the new employer?
Correct, the BOWP is an open work permit ( as the name states ) and therefore not bound to an employer.
I'm still working with the same employer and checked 'New Employer'.
Don't, I repeat, do NOT provide information about your current or future employer on your BOWP application.
In the details field put 'BOWP - Not Applicable', so the VO knows you're applying for the BOWP.

jimkal

Star Member
Dec 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2013
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
14-01-2014
Med's Request
10-09-2014
Med's Done....
11-09-2014
Interview........
Non
Passport Req..
01-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
iam_toby said:
Correct, the BOWP is an open work permit ( as the name states ) and therefore not bound to an employer.
I'm still working with the same employer and checked 'New Employer'.
Don't, I repeat, do NOT provide information about your current or future employer on your BOWP application.
In the details field put 'BOWP - Not Applicable', so the VO knows you're applying for the BOWP.
Thank you for sharing.....I guess it really helps to all those who are thinking of applying for BOWP.

kunwar2013

Nov 14, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions.

1) How long the BOWP is valid for?
2) If PR gets rejected, will one be able continue to work until his BOWP expires or he will have to leave as his PR is rejected?

Thank you.

user2000

Oct 1, 2013
ckexploration said:
Good morning guys! I wish I had stayed in bed longer today....
Woke up with a message from CIC about my refusal for the OWP.
They say
- I have not provided evidence that I received a positive eligibility decision on my PR application
- my WP is not expiring within 4 months

I don't get that all! I applied online and uploaded a pdf that contains my letter of explanation, my AOR for the PR application, a scan of my passport and additional info on employment history. If the officer was happy with all these files and never asked for anything else to be uploaded, I assume he/she saw my passport scan and then also the AOR. So why is he/she saying I did not provide evidence for a positive AOR???
My WP expires in November, so I can apply for an BOWP in July.
Not a big help right now...
IS THERE ANY OTHER CHANCE TO GET AN OWP? IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Cause if not... I think my time here in Canada is up for now
I got the same reply this Monday

My visa will expire in 5 month and I just sent the AOR number without scanning the confirmation email so I really seems that they have a standard reply for refusal letter

Sam

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
kunwar2013 said:
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions.

1) How long the BOWP is valid for?

usually 12 months.

2) If PR gets rejected, will one be able continue to work until his BOWP expires or he will have to leave as his PR is rejected?

yes, you can continue to work, at least for what I know.

Thank you.
See comments above.