+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for a successful BOWP application

Berm88

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Are there specifications regarding the digital photo used for the BOWP?

Does it have to have been taken within the last 6 months or anything like thaT??

AdriVL

Feb 6, 2014
Hi all!

I'm going to apply for the BOWP. Our actual work permit(me) and visitor visa(wife) expire on Feb 15. My wife has a visitor visa (she's in Canada with me), is it ok if I apply for an open work permit for her at the same time I apply for mine?

And another question: I read that is better to NOT send the contract or offer letter from the employment. Why is not ok to send our offer letters or contracts? I was planning to send it with the other documents.

Thank you!

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
AdriVL said:
And another question: I read that is better to NOT send the contract or offer letter from the employment. Why is not ok to send our offer letters or contracts? I was planning to send it with the other documents.
These aren't needed for BOWP and won't strengthen your application.

horvathc

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Canada, Alberta, Fort McMurray
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2013
AOR Received.
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
None - Visa exempt country
LANDED..........
23-08-2014
Berm88 said:
Are there specifications regarding the digital photo used for the BOWP?

Does it have to have been taken within the last 6 months or anything like thaT??
Hi,

This what CIC says if you send it online:
Digital dimension must be at least 420x540 pixels.
If scanned, minimum 600 pixels / inch. It should be JPEG.
The final size ideally 240 kB but not less then 60 kB. Must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for the most digital cameras.

It does not say about anything when it should be taken. I scanned and uploaded my photos what I sent with my PR package.

ritz0106

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
cppo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Folks,

I am in a real bad situation and need some valuable advice. I am on a closed work permit which is valid till Jan 2015, my current employer has lost the bid of the project and is adamant that I go back to my home country. I have applied for PR in Sep' 13 and wanted to apply for BOWP, with a covering letter explaining my situation. What are the chances of approval ?

2014aplicante

Feb 12, 2014
I have a question about the part COMING INTO CANADA

The date, place and purpose of original entry, should I put the date that I first came to Canada, as a tourist or student? Or should I put the date I got to Canada with my current work visa?

Thanks a lot!!!

2014aplicante

Feb 12, 2014
Also, for employment, should I write a detailed list similar to the one they ask for the PR form? Including when I was a student? Thanks again!

vcbc

Feb 3, 2014
Seniors..... I have a closed WP valid till Nov 2015, if I go to border to see my chances of getting a open WP and if they refuse, would I still be allowed to come inside Canada, is there any chance that they might refuse entry to me?

shsh_2014

Feb 20, 2014
Hi,
I am on my work permit and my wife is on a dependent open work permit now. But she never worked in Canada.
While applying for my BOWP, can I apply for similar dependent open work permit (not the BOWP) for my wife as well ? if so, where I need to mention this in IMM5710? :-X
Or is it better to apply for dependent status only for her? :-\
Thanks in advance for your time to answer my query!!

2014aplicante

Feb 12, 2014
can someone please help me with my questions:

COMING INTO CANADA

The date, place and purpose of original entry, should I put the date that I first came to Canada, as a tourist or student? Or should I put the date I got to Canada with my current work visa?

Also, for employment, should I write a detailed list similar to the one they ask for the PR form? Including when I was a student?

Thanks a lot!!! It's urgent I need to send it on Monday!!!

cupidsbutler

Dec 7, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 21, 2014
AOR Received.
February 25, 2014
Med's Request
August 11, 2014
Med's Done....
August 15, 2014
Hi Team,

Quick question- I applied for my PR under CEC and waiting to get an AOR within the next week or so. I've also applied for my BOWP via paper application and it was received today, given the 60 day processing timeline, I should expect it by April 24th.

I applied using the paper application method since I haven't received my AOR as of yet and my current work permit expires on March 3, 2014- I've heard of some people having success using the paper application without an AOR, in hopes of them processing the BOWP once the AOR is in the system.

My dilemma is this, I plan to travel outside of the country from June 10th and would need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order for me to re-enter Canada. CIC states that I may only apply for my TRV once I have my BOWP. If I do receive my BOWP on April 24th, 2014 that would only give me a month to apply for my TRV (while it takes approximately 2 months to approve a TRV including the time of having to send my passport to them).

If I do get my AOR by this week, which means before my work permit expires, should I place an online application for my BOWP instead and retract my paper application? If yes, how would I retract my paper application?

Any thoughts and guidance on this issue is greatly appreciated!

ritz0106

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
cppo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is an express TRV option which takes maximum of 2 weeks.

lufc_cal

Star Member
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Really confused as to how to submit files for a BOWP online. Can anyone help? I log into my 'MyCIC' account and I'm lost from there.

I've done the questionnaire, it said I may be eligible for CEC (Ive already submitted application and got AOR) - from there I can't get past "Create your personal checklist". Weird.