+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for a successful BOWP application

a.pe

Nov 5, 2015
Hi guys, I have to apply today, as I am running out of time and have a few questions that I am very confused about. Would anyone be able to help me please? I would be extremely grateful. I have already applied for PR last week.

1. From imm5710e
a) I am applying for one of the following: Restore my status as a worker * Apply for a work permit with the same employer * Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer * Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only) is the right answer:Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer?
b) DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA - if you have a job and you are planning to work at the same job should you put this employer there? In many sources people say to leave it blank, is this a correct way to fill this form?

2. From imm5707e
It wouldn't let sign it. According to cic: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/use-application-form.html you should not print and sign if you are using electronic application, but also at the bottom of this form is says:
Signature
Sign and date in the boxes provided at the bottom of the page. Note: By signing, you certify that you fully understand the questions asked, and that the information you have provided is complete, accurate and factual. If you do not sign or date the form, your application will be returned to you

So which way is correct? Should we print and sign it or no?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

priscabowman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
03-10-2018
AOR Received.
20-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-09-18
Hi guys, I have to apply today, as I am running out of time and have a few questions that I am very confused about. Would anyone be able to help me please? I would be extremely grateful. I have already applied for PR last week.

1. From imm5710e
a) I am applying for one of the following: Restore my status as a worker * Apply for a work permit with the same employer * Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer * Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only) is the right answer:Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer?
b) DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA - if you have a job and you are planning to work at the same job should you put this employer there? In many sources people say to leave it blank, is this a correct way to fill this form?

2. From imm5707e
It wouldn't let sign it. According to cic: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/use-application-form.html you should not print and sign if you are using electronic application, but also at the bottom of this form is says:
Signature
Sign and date in the boxes provided at the bottom of the page. Note: By signing, you certify that you fully understand the questions asked, and that the information you have provided is complete, accurate and factual. If you do not sign or date the form, your application will be returned to you

So which way is correct? Should we print and sign it or no?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
I choose “new employer” for mine.

I put in “BOWP-n/a” for all work related questions even though I was working. It’s an open work permit so you are not required to answer that

Is this the form where we were required to validate at the top right corner? I can’t remember exactly but I know I validated one of the forms when I applied for mine. The “signature” is actually your full name and date of birth etc.

Island_vibes

Oct 22, 2018
I applied for this a few days ago.

1. I did not complete this form.
2. Option B
3. I entered the date my immigration status started in Canada. Even though I left for 6 months during that period.
4. Look at your permit. There is a document number I believe it should begin with a U.
5. Yes, open work permit. You need to answer question 8. Leave 2 - 7 Blank.
6. List all your work experience to be safe. I created a PDF spreadsheet and included it with my LOE listing my employment history.
7. You will also be asked to fill out IMM5707. This is a form asking about your family's details (Spouse, parents, and your children). This form is to be filled out electronically, but printed and signed. It asks for their full name, DOB, address, marriage status, occupation and whether they are coming to Canada with you.

Please note, IMM5710 is to be completed electronically. You need Adobe Reader to fill it out. You will then press the validate button and it should generate 6 barcodes on the last page. You then enter your name and date at the signature section. A lot of people have trouble with this including me. I had to use an older computer to generate the barcodes so ensure you have plenty of time allocated for your application.
Hi,
If you see this, please help! I see you created a extra PDF with all your experience. Did u sign this piece of paper as well ? Or did you only sign the LOE and mentioned about the PDF file ? Please advise

drshravya

Jun 15, 2019
Hi everyone, Im currently trying to complete my BOWP, my current work permit runs out pretty soon so I need to get this done ASAP. I have complete everything so far but am having trouble uploading the IMM5710. Whenever I try upload the document, I get the following msg:
  • Error Description:
    Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form.
I have made sure that both dates on my questionnaire is the same as the date in the IMM5710 but continue to get this msg. Has anyone got this before or know any solution to work around it?

Appreciate any comments back.
Rowan
Hey, I am facing the same issue too could you please help me with this regard, my work permit expires in 9 days and I am stuck with this for past three days I cannot figure out where did I go round. Thanks in advance.

xrypto

Star Member
Nov 6, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have hardly 70 days until my PGWP expires. I also brought my wife in OPW (expires on the same date as mine) and she is working since then. We also got AOR.

I am really confused here. Even when I explored the CIC website, I dont find my answer.

I know that now I have to apply for BOWP. So should I apply for a separate BOWP for my wife or a separate normal OPW?

And she is resigning from her company. Meaning that when we are applying for the extensions, she will be unemployed ( I will still be employed though).

So can she get an OPW or BOWP when she dont have a job?

shev35

Feb 6, 2019
Dear,

Have you any success experience of getting BOWP if close work permit expired more than 4 months (in my case 12 months). I lost job and would like to get open work permit.

korucu

Jun 24, 2019
Hi everyone,
So I am hoping to get ITA this month. After that, I need to apply BOWP asap as my current visa will be expired on July 30th.
Let's say I got my ITA, filled the eAPR and submitted and got AOR. What is the next step to apply BOWP and which document will I need to do it?
I want to be prepared to save time when it happens...

Reactions: Mattbill

sans351

Dec 15, 2017
I have some questions about a BOWP application, and I am wondering if I could get some feedback from seniors or those with knowledge and experience. Your prompt response and effort will be greatly appreciated.

Background: BOWP application, CEC Inland EE applicant, currently on PGWP.

1. Under optional documents there is a Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM5257). First of all, it says 'made outside' and secondly, I understand that it is an optional document. However, is it optional for everyone or only applicants from visa-exempt countries?

2. I am applying for one or more of the following: a) Apply for a work permit with the same employer OR b) Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer. Which option should be selected? I do not think that it would be 'restore your status as a worker'.

3. Personal Details section: Current country of residence: Canada and status is worker, but what should be mentioned in the 'from date' field? The date from your work permit or the date since you first arrived in Canada as a student?

4. Coming into Canada section: If applicable, provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit or Temporary Resident Permit issued to you. Not sure what they mean here or what document number to provide?

5. Details of Intended Work in Canada section: What type of work permit are you applying for, Open Work Permit? For questions 02 – 08, no information is required and should be left blank?

6. Employment section: Give details of your employment for the past 10 years, including if you have held any government positions (such as civil servant, judge, police officer, mayor, member of parliament, hospital administrator.) Should you list your on or off campus part-time work experience in Canada? There are only 03 spaces provided for employment details, but if you have more, then where should you list the rest?

7. Document Checklist: Application Form (IMM5710), Passport, Photo, Medical Exam, and LOE (cover letter & AOR). Is there any other document required for a BOWP application?

Thank you for your time and patience.
Hi,

I am also having a same query. I am on PGWP too, Any chance to tell which option you selected for Question 2 ?

Also, I sponsored my husband and got the open work permit. He is not working at the moment. What option should we select on his application for Question 2 ?

Please help

sethtammy

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm applying for BOWP due to my current WP will be expired in the end of next month. Much appreciated if you can share with me your experience on your BOWP application and got it successfully.

I'm confused some questions in form IMM5710. In the "Details of Intended work in Canada", am I supposed to click "Open Work Permit" and "Apply for open work permit with the same employer" right? Do I have to give information about my employer in the next questions? I heard some said Yes but some said No just leave in blank. Very confused! I'm working as a permanent employee, so I won't change my job or employer.

How long did you get your BOWP and how long does it last? It is said that 101 days but I know it depends on every situation. Did you include your AoR and explanation letter in your BOWP application? IRCC gave me the document checklist but no place for AoR to be submitted.

Thank you for your help!

grprtsingh

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Calgary
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
Hi guys i hope someone is active here i really need your help im on lmia my lmia will expire in 3months and i have applied for my PR i wanted to apply for BOWP i applied my PR under PNP paper based application.

1.would i get a work permit with the same employer and
2.do i need to keep working their until i get my PR?
3.what are the requirements of BOWP for pnp based PR?

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
Hi guys i hope someone is active here i really need your help im on lmia my lmia will expire in 3months and i have applied for my PR i wanted to apply for BOWP i applied my PR under PNP paper based application.

1.would i get a work permit with the same employer and
2.do i need to keep working their until i get my PR?
3.what are the requirements of BOWP for pnp based PR?
1 - No. It's an open work permit (no employer specified).
2 - It depends of your PNP stream/program.
3 - Read this document/manual (it will have the answers): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Reactions: grprtsingh

grprtsingh

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Calgary
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
04-11-2019

Evgeni

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Richmond
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
Doc's Request.
03-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2018
Med's Request
03-05-2019
Med's Done....
22-05-2019
Could anyone explain, please, what is "have no employment restrictions as a condition of your nomination"?
I have the BC PNP Confirmation of Nomination letter. In the letter I have the filled up the EMPLOYER field - the name of the company, but in the field RESTRICTIONS ON EMPLOYMENT I have "NO".

Also I have the Conditions of Nomination letter:
Conditions of Nomination

You must continue to meet the conditions under which you were nominated, which are set
out in this document. It is a condition of your nomination that you are not at any time:
 prohibited from entering Canada;
 under a removal order in or outside of Canada; or
 working in Canada for any employer without authorization.
If you are in Canada, you must:
 have legal status in Canada; or if status has expired, be able to demonstrate that an
application for restoration of status was submitted within the 90-day eligibility
period.
If you do not have a work permit that enables you to work for your supporting employer in
B.C., you must demonstrate genuine efforts to apply for a valid work permit and commence
employment with your supporting employer in B.C.
If you have a work permit and a supporting B.C. employer, you must:
 have a valid work permit that enables you to work for the supporting employer listed
on the Confirmation of Nomination (CON);
 maintain full-time employment with the supporting employer;
 receive a wage that is equal to or greater than the wage listed in your BC PNP
application;
 work in the occupation that is listed on your BC PNP application; and
 meet minimum income requirements
If you were nominated under one of the International Post-Graduate categories, you must
continue to demonstrate an ability and intent to permanently reside and economically
establish in B.C. Failure to demonstrate that you are residing in B.C. following your
nomination may result in a withdrawal of your nomination.
You must inform the BC PNP by sending an email to PNPPostNom@gov.bc.ca if any of the
following occurs:
 change of employer, job title, work location, or job duties;
 decrease in wage or decrease in regular work hours below 30 hours per week;
 loss of employment;
 change in marital status or number of dependants;
 change in immigration status; or
 refusal of work permit.
You must provide any information requested by the BC PNP to verify that conditions of
nomination continue to be met. Failure to abide by the conditions of nomination, including
failure to provide requested information, may result in a withdrawal of your nomination.
If the BC PNP determines that you provided false or misleading information to the BC PNP,
before or after nomination, your nomination may be withdrawn.

Question: Do I have employment restrictions?

danlb34

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
@Evgeni

You don't have employment restriction in your nomination letter, you should be good to apply for BOWP.
You can check the section of this document for 'Determining if nomination has employment restrictions': https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Extract of the document of the link above:

Provinces and territories may include an employer or the name of the occupation and the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code and still indicate that there are no employment restrictions. In these cases, the applicants are eligible for an open work permit, provided they meet the other eligibility criteria. A separate letter from the applicant or the nominating province to confirm that no employment restrictions exist should not be requested.

Observation: I recommend that you read the document of the link as it has all requirements of the Bowp for a provincial nominee, and how the officer is supposed to evaluate the application.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

Reactions: Evgeni

Evgeni

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Richmond
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
Doc's Request.
03-05-2019
AOR Received.