+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for 2016 (Future) PGP Applicants

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow this the dillema for me, I have A FEDEX office and a purolater office next to each other, and both saying that if I mail on 31st with priority shipping it will get delivered on 4th Jan..... not sure if I should go 31st morning or 30 evening....

any other experiences of ppl mailing form calgary???

Rossei said:
Thanks for sharing your story. Since it's a GTA story, I want to share mine as this is from outside GTA so that 2016 applicants have both examples to learn from. Like you, I also missed 2014 intake as I started working from July-2010 and didn't have a NOA which meets MNI for 2010. I had the chance to start working from May right after my graduation, but instead took some time-off to go back to my home country. Anyway, here's my story of 2015 PGP application for my mom:

• Assuming it will be crazy on Jan 2 at CPC-M, I contacted Canadapost, Purolator and Fedex in person on the last week of December, 2014. Having no idea about PGP, they all said if I ship my package before last pickup on Dec 31, it should be fine to reach Mississauga on Jan 2.
  • Our Fedex office in Sarnia, ON was very specific that they will be closed on Dec 31 and they can only take my package on Dec 30 by 5pm. So, I leaned towards Purolator as they said their last pickup is always on 3pm but insisted to come little early just because it's 31st.
  • So, I set my mind on Purolator for 9am delivery on Jan 2. My idea was to wait till noon on Dec 31 to see if CIC makes any last minute changes on the form (fortunately my mom was here with me on Super Visa).
  • On 31st, I come to my office, not in a mood of working, refreshing PGP application page every 5 min, checking forum for any update. There was no last minute change. I decided to give another 30 min after noon to play safe. Then, I drove to Purolator office (inside Staples).
  • Guess what, Purolator says the last pickup was at 11am. I met the driver on Dec 30 on my 2nd visit to them. He personally told me that he would come around 3pm on Dec 31 to pickup. The whole world collapsed before me hearing this.
  • I almost cried before swearing and cursing myself, Purolator and the city I live in - Sarnia. Then the Staples Imaging lady (who was just covering for Purolator for that day) told me to check UPS store. I quickly drove to UPS (5 min dirve) and found that they were closed.
  • I come back to Staples with heart-broken and find a Fedex drop-box which was still saying "Next pickup at 3pm". I become hopeful again.
  • I quickly make a Fedex label while constantly checking the door where the drop-box is located. By the time I was done with all the complicated steps of Fedex labeling, it was already 1:15pm.
  • I stood by the door of Staples with a Fedex envelope in hand (not sealed yet) anxiously waiting to see a Fedex truck. I was even thinking of driving to Toronto on the weekends and going for same day delivery with some local services.
  • Since I had to come back to office, I finally decided to drop my mail. It was around 1:30pm.
  • I sat for a while in my car with hope that I would see a Fedex truck being parked and open the drop-box. Alas! I couldn't see any.
  • I come back to my office and thought how I can decline my submission if I drive to GTA in the weekends. I probably made few calls to Fedex. After my office breaks at 3pm, I drove back to Staples to see if it has been picked up. No, the label was still showing same. I drove to see it again after 5pm, but no luck. They must have picked up before noon then.
  • I was so emotionally upset thinking what sort of son I am not doing a single thing that I have been waiting to accomplish for my mom for few years. Even my mom said "It's okay, perhaps next year." :(
  • Anyway, my family didn't want me to drive to Toronto with that kind of mindset. So, I omitted to go and sticked with my delayed Fedex parcel.
  • Fedex finally picked it up on Jan 2 and my application was delivered at 11am on Jan 5. I was very much active during that period on this forum and had a thin line of hope of still making it to 5000 cap.
  • Guesst what! I made it. I consider myself extremely lucky finding that CIC perhaps stopped taking any application after 12 on Jan 5.

I hope you guys learn a thing or two from jhutti and my story and make the right call. Hence, I called it the biggest challenge in my original post. Good luck to you all!

farhan841

Nov 20, 2015
hi,
I am filling out forms for 2016 PGP sponsorship and I am heck a lot confused.

I want to sponsor my parents but I can only sponsor one of them due to income limitations (I qualify only for one) due to income in 2012. My questions are follows

- Should I sponsor my mom or my dad first (or it does't matter)?
- I have a sister who qualifies for being dependent of my parents. If I sponsor for my mom only, do I have to put her under her dependent in for IMM0008?

- In form IMM0008, under question 3, it says how many family members including you are in this application. If I am sponsoring my mom only, should I add my sister and all other children (my brothers and sisters) who are not dependent (on the other IMM0008 DEPENU?) or should I add all my brothers and sisters under my dad's application which I will file next year?

- If I add my sister in form IMM0008 who is dependant, then I would have to qualify for income with a family of 4 i.e my, wife, mom and sister.. therefore I wanted to sponsor my dad next year with my sister as a dependent. Is this the right approcah. Please help!

adelebai

Aug 10, 2015
Jacaranda said:
Wow this the dillema for me, I have A FEDEX office and a purolater office next to each other, and both saying that if I mail on 31st with priority shipping it will get delivered on 4th Jan..... not sure if I should go 31st morning or 30 evening....

Same dilemma here. I live in Medicine Hat, where a lot of offices are only open for half a day/closed on Dec 31. They all told me to deliver on Dec 30th or Dec 29th. I have considered going to Calgary to make the delivery. However, I called an UPS store in Calgary - the person who answered my phone told me there's no guarantee of next day delivery because it's holiday season.
It's almost like a gamble for folks not living in Ontario...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
farhan841 said:
I want to sponsor my parents but I can only sponsor one of them due to income limitations (I qualify only for one) due to income in 2012. My questions are follows

- Should I sponsor my mom or my dad first (or it does't matter)?
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Even if you just want to sponsor 1 parent now, the other parent and all qualifying dependents (so those under age 19) MUST ALL be listed as a non-accompanying dependent. And the other parent/dependents must also count in your family size for income calculations.

If you don't qualify to sponsor both parents and all dependents, then you can't sponsor any of them.

If you have a wife then your family size would be you + wife + 2 parents + dependent sister = 5 people. So you need income for past 3 years for MNI of 5 people in any app you submit.

Only way you can completely exclude your dad from this app, is if your parents are divorced.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Jacaranda said:

adelebai said:
Same dilemma here. I live in Medicine Hat, where a lot of offices are only open for half a day/closed on Dec 31. They all told me to deliver on Dec 30th or Dec 29th. I have considered going to Calgary to make the delivery. However, I called an UPS store in Calgary - the person who answered my phone told me there's no guarantee of next day delivery because it's holiday season.
It's almost like a gamble for folks not living in Ontario...
That's all depend on when CIC decides to update the guide and forms for 2016. For 2015 PGP, most updates occurred in either August or November of 2014 (see below). But since there was last minute update on 31-Dec-2013 for 2014 intake, we had to be cautious. IMM1344 & IMM5768 must be updated as they need to reflect 2012, 2013 & 2014 income requirements. The other forms that got updated for us were mainly due to change in dependent age restriction. It may not happen again this year. So, you guys should have keen eyes on the forms. It's unlikely that CIC is going to repeat what they did back in 2013-14 (last minute changes).

Below is the list of forms with last update info (month & year) that took place for 2015 intake:
1. IMM0008DEP - Additional Dependents, updated in Aug, 2014
2. IMM0008 - General Application, updated in Nov, 2014
3. IMM1344 - Application to Sponsor, updated in Aug, 2014
4. IMM5406 - Additional Family Info, updated in Sep, 2013
5. IMM5409 - Statutory Declaration of Common-law, updated in Apr, 2013
6. IMM5476 - Use of Representative, updated in Mar, 2014
7. IMM5669 - Schedule A Background, updated in Dec, 2012
8. IMM5768 - Financial Evaluation, updated in Nov, 2014
9. IMM5770 - Payment Form, updated in Aug, 2014
10. IMM5771 - Checklist, updated in Dec, 2013

sabrina27

Nov 9, 2015
Wow - the success stories from applications that got delivered on January 5th brings back all the despondent emotions I felt when my application was returned to me with the useless letter from CIC about supervisas (I only say useless because my parents still have more than a decade of working years left). My application for my parents was delivered on January 5th and didn't make the cutoff.

As such, I'm in the process of finding a courier service to hand-deliver my application on January 4th. Not UPS, Purolator, FedEx or CanadaPost.

Question for those of you who used an alternate courier service - do you know how long it took them to actually deliver the application once they got to the CIC office? I'd like to give the company a ballpark time estimate, especially if it's more than an hour.

Thanks!

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rossei said:
Thanks for the reply Rossei.

For my question:

2. I have no idea what will be the intended job of my parents when they arrive here (if application is approved), any suggestion about what to put in the 'INTENDED OCCUPATION' field of the 'GENERIC APPLICATION?'
- In my case, I put "Unemployed (retired)".
My parent is not retired yet though, will 'nanny' be fine?

Thanks,

alberta2016

Nov 23, 2015
Hi there,

I am filling out forms for the 2016 PGP sponsorship.

I want to sponsor my mother and half-sister, who is 18 years old. My mother is married to my half-sister's father. However, my half-sister's father has no intention to accompany my mother and half-sister to Canada.

Given that I am only sponsoring my mother and half-sister, should my half-sister's father be included in the number of family members in box#3 of form IMM 0008 under "Application Details"?

Thanks in advance!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
alberta2016 said:
Hi there,

I am filling out forms for the 2016 PGP sponsorship.

I want to sponsor my mother and half-sister, who is 18 years old. My mother is married to my half-sister's father. However, my half-sister's father has no intention to accompany my mother and half-sister to Canada.

Given that I am only sponsoring my mother and half-sister, should my half-sister's father be included in the number of family members in box#3 of form IMM 0008 under "Application Details"?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if they are married the father needs to be included in the application as a non-accompanying spouse (your mom will be the primary applicant). You must count him into your family size for LICO/MNI income requirement.

The father must also do medical exam and police checks, and if he fails either then the entire application will be rejected for everyone. So hopefully he passes.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
planningtogo said:
My parent is not retired yet though, will 'nanny' be fine?

Thanks,
If you want to show CIC that your parents are willing to work and earn in Canada rather than depending on you financially, you can write anything there. BTW, it's "intended occupation in Canada", not "current occupation"; so what your parents do now won't matter.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
sabrina27 said:
Wow - the success stories from applications that got delivered on January 5th brings back all the despondent emotions I felt when my application was returned to me with the useless letter from CIC about supervisas (I only say useless because my parents still have more than a decade of working years left). My application for my parents was delivered on January 5th and didn't make the cutoff.

As such, I'm in the process of finding a courier service to hand-deliver my application on January 4th. Not UPS, Purolator, FedEx or CanadaPost.

Question for those of you who used an alternate courier service - do you know how long it took them to actually deliver the application once they got to the CIC office? I'd like to give the company a ballpark time estimate, especially if it's more than an hour.

Thanks!
But you mentioned that your app reached on Jan 2, 2015 in our database. Anyway, I wish you have better luck this time.

Re: your question, you can look for the time-stamp we have in our spreadsheet (link in my signature). The earlier it gets to CPC-M gate, the less they have to wait. My guess is if the courier reaches CPC-M around 10 am, they may have to wait 2~3 hours. Given that, I would suggest to look for such courier who can:
  • Be there at 8 am to deliver (you pay high charges for that)
  • Will charge you a flat rate per hour extra they have to wait

sabrina27

Nov 9, 2015
Rossei said:
But you mentioned that your app reached on Jan 2, 2015 in our database. Anyway, I wish you have better luck this time.
Honest typo I think - can I update the database?

I found a company that will get it there by 8am for me. Thanks.

shikha0104033

Feb 4, 2010
Hi,

I am planning to sponsor my mother and sister for immigration; and want to send the application in 2016. I live in Canada.

I have 2 questions.

1. If I have to use my 2015 income for sponsorship, do I need to wait till I get the 2015 CRA assessment? If so, then I may not be able to apply in 2016. Is there any other documents that I can send, so that they can assess my 2015 income?

2. Currently in my family it's me, my husband and my kid. We all are Canadian citizens. While calculating the family size for 2013, 2014 and 2015 what should be the number? Will it be 3+2=5? It does not make sense, since I was not supporting 5 people now.

I would greatly appreciate if someone can answer my questions.

Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
shikha0104033 said:
I am planning to sponsor my mother and sister for immigration; and want to send the application in 2016. I live in Canada.
This is possible as long as your mom does not have a husband, and your sister is age 18 or under.

1. If I have to use my 2015 income for sponsorship, do I need to wait till I get the 2015 CRA assessment? If so, then I may not be able to apply in 2016. Is there any other documents that I can send, so that they can assess my 2015 income?
You can't use 2015 income, period. There is no way.

YOu must use 2012, 2013 and 2014 income to meet LICO/MNI in those years, to apply in 2016. If you need 2015 income, you'll need to wait to apply in 2017.

2. Currently in my family it's me, my husband and my kid. We all are Canadian citizens. While calculating the family size for 2013, 2014 and 2015 what should be the number? Will it be 3+2=5? It does not make sense, since I was not supporting 5 people now.
Your family size for 2012, 2013 and 2014 will be 3+2=5. You must meet LICO/MNI for 5 people, for these 3 previous years. Again your 2015 income is irrelevant since it can't be used in this application.