+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timeline for mother and sister visit visa from Cuba

Cubanita

Sep 22, 2022
Hola amigos,

I really appreciated the information I found on this forum, especially timelines, so I thought I would share mine now that the process is coming to an end.
I originally applied for a visit visa for my mom in March 2021 and eventually reapplied using the new portal (I would have done that way sooner if I new it existed and that they prioritized applicants who applied before September 2021). My mom lives in Cuba and she had a visit visa before, which ended early 2019. I didn't originally pay for her biometrics because I thought her previous one was still valid, but I was requested to pay for it and they redid it.

Applied : March 27 2021

Reapplied : August 18, 2022

Request Letter asking to pay for biometrics (paid online, same day): August 24th, 2022

Biometrics request : August 29, 2022

Biometrics appointment: September 7th 2022

Original Passport Request: September 15th, 2022

Passport appointment: September 28th, 2022

I also applied for my sister (19 yo) to come but I haven't received any decision yet. I asked for 6 months, but after reading the different posts on this forum, my hopes are not too high.
She is currently studying French in Cuba and the goal was to have her spend some time with us for a few months to improve her French and have her do the B2 exam here in Canada, so that she can eventually apply for a Study visa to come study here. I am getting married to my common-law partner in January 2023 and mentioned in the application that one of the reason for her travel would be to attend the wedding. I didn't think there was any value in mentioning the long term plan (improve French, B2 exam, study visa) so I didn't mention any of that in the application. I'm hoping to get a decision in October 2022, based on the current IRCC estimation and based on the timelines I saw here.

Here's her timeline:

Applied: June 20th, 2022

Biometrics request: June 21st, 2022

Biometrics appointment: July 7th, 2022

I'm happy to answer any question you may have and I'm welcoming any advise you may have regarding my sister's visit visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hola amigos,

I really appreciated the information I found on this forum, especially timelines, so I thought I would share mine now that the process is coming to an end.
I originally applied for a visit visa for my mom in March 2021 and eventually reapplied using the new portal (I would have done that way sooner if I new it existed and that they prioritized applicants who applied before September 2021). My mom lives in Cuba and she had a visit visa before, which ended early 2019. I didn't originally pay for her biometrics because I thought her previous one was still valid, but I was requested to pay for it and they redid it.

Applied : March 27 2021

Reapplied : August 18, 2022

Request Letter asking to pay for biometrics (paid online, same day): August 24th, 2022

Biometrics request : August 29, 2022

Biometrics appointment: September 7th 2022

Original Passport Request: September 15th, 2022

Passport appointment: September 28th, 2022

I also applied for my sister (19 yo) to come but I haven't received any decision yet. I asked for 6 months, but after reading the different posts on this forum, my hopes are not too high.
She is currently studying French in Cuba and the goal was to have her spend some time with us for a few months to improve her French and have her do the B2 exam here in Canada, so that she can eventually apply for a Study visa to come study here. I am getting married to my common-law partner in January 2023 and mentioned in the application that one of the reason for her travel would be to attend the wedding. I didn't think there was any value in mentioning the long term plan (improve French, B2 exam, study visa) so I didn't mention any of that in the application. I'm hoping to get a decision in October 2022, based on the current IRCC estimation and based on the timelines I saw here.

Here's her timeline:

Applied: June 20th, 2022

Biometrics request: June 21st, 2022

Biometrics appointment: July 7th, 2022

I'm happy to answer any question you may have and I'm welcoming any advise you may have regarding my sister's visit visa.
Unfortunately asking for 6 months was too long but too late. Normally would recommend 2-3 weeks. Did she ever visit Canada before? The fact that your sister also is applying is a red flag. Given the situation in Cuba and the number of asylum seekers flowing into the US there will be concerns that they both won’t leave. No harm in trying.

Cubanita

Sep 22, 2022
Unfortunately asking for 6 months was too long but too late. Normally would recommend 2-3 weeks. Did she ever visit Canada before? The fact that your sister also is applying is a red flag. Given the situation in Cuba and the number of asylum seekers flowing into the US there will be concerns that they both won’t leave. No harm in trying.
No, my sister never visited Canada before. She never got out of Cuba. We don't have the same mother, both her parents are currently in Cuba. I will share my results here once we get an answer.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
I will follow this thread as my Cuban PR wife would like to bring her mother for a short visit (I am Canadian).

Frankly I think the chances are slim that IRCC will give any Cuban relatives a visitor visa at this point, what with half the country en route "to see the volcanoes". But no harm in asking.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will follow this thread as my Cuban PR wife would like to bring her mother for a short visit (I am Canadian).

Frankly I think the chances are slim that IRCC will give any Cuban relatives a visitor visa at this point, what with half the country en route "to see the volcanoes". But no harm in asking.
Think you are right. Given the volume of Cubans taking boats to Florida or flying to Panama and getting to the US border there Is a high chance of any Cuban visitor will not leave Canada. It’s the same for Venezuelan, Lebanese, people from Yemen, Syrian, etc.

joGain

Apr 20, 2022
No, my sister never visited Canada before. She never got out of Cuba. We don't have the same mother, both her parents are currently in Cuba. I will share my results here once we get an answer.
Hey @Cubanita, I sent you a private message earlier, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some insight on my query.

Cubanita

Sep 22, 2022
Good afternoon! This is to provide an update regarding my mother's visa. Her appointment at the embassy was yesterday but because of the Hurricane, there was no power and the embassy was closed. She returned this morning and received her visa. We are both very excited. With the vaccine rules dropping Saturday, it couldn't be a better timing. I'm now crossing my fingers for my sister's visa to get accepted as well (based on IRCC processing times, I'm hoping to receive an answer mid-October).

@joGain , I answered you.

Reactions: Kiva667