+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time taken for Passport Request after medical exam

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I was wondering how long it typically takes for the passport request, after the medical tests have been done. I know that this is a common question and has been asked by many, but browsing through the forum, it appears that the time varies widely. Any information on the latest trend would be greatly appreciated.

I am a PNP applicant nominated by Ontario, under the international PhD graduate (no job offer required) category, if that is relevant to my question.

Thank you!

SpoonRaccoon

Jul 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ulysses said:
Hello, I was wondering how long it typically takes for the passport request, after the medical tests have been done. I know that this is a common question and has been asked by many, but browsing through the forum, it appears that the time varies widely. Any information on the latest trend would be greatly appreciated.

I am a PNP applicant nominated by Ontario, under the international PhD graduate (no job offer required) category, if that is relevant to my question.

Thank you!
16 months.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Ulysses said:

Thank you!
16 months is not typical by any means. I did my medicals last October and got PPR mid-May, so for me it was about 8 months. It's worth noting though that I got the medical request already in August but couldn't take the exam until early October. But I still got IP and PPR around the same time as lots of others who sent their application at the same time as me but who did their medicals sooner, which would suggest that the date of doing the medicals may not be as relevant as the application date or AOR date. The total time from submitting the application to getting PPR usually falls somewhere under the 1 year mark, if the application is "simple" and doesn't get flagged for any additional checks or doc requests.

You can see the tracker spreadsheet here to get an idea of what the timelines have been in the past year or so: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18hpKdPR_TeZX0VHDXPNjwfS729tgAOqEwq7bsxfOMOI/edit#gid=0. Good luck!

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Lisa, Thanks a lot for your reply and for sharing the excel sheet, that was really helpful.

Yes, it seems that 16 months is too high. In some other threads, I read about some PNP candidates being subjected to Quality Assurance which meant additional processing time. I don't know how that's done or whether these delays have got anything to do with that.

BTW, a friend of mine (Ontario PNP - Internatoinal Masters graduate, no job offer) recently got her passport request within less than a month of her medical assessment, which was super quick! Her Work permit was about to expire soon, I don't know if this has got anything to do with that.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Ulysses said:
Hello Lisa, Thanks a lot for your reply and for sharing the excel sheet, that was really helpful.

Yes, it seems that 16 months is too high. In some other threads, I read about some PNP candidates being subjected to Quality Assurance which meant additional processing time. I don't know how that's done or whether these delays have got anything to do with that.

BTW, a friend of mine (Ontario PNP - Internatoinal Masters graduate, no job offer) recently got her passport request within less than a month of her medical assessment, which was super quick! Her Work permit was about to expire soon, I don't know if this has got anything to do with that.
No problem!

Yes, there was a QA process happening last year mainly with Ontario applicants, which delayed the processing significantly for a lot of them (although the delay seemed to be with giving AORs and medical requests - once those were finally done, they started getting the finalizations quite fast, within just a month or two, as opposed to waiting for 8-10 months like most of us). The whole thing was sparked by an independent evaluation of the OPNP system, which showed that there was an overwhelming percentage of misrepresentation and other fraudulent/suspicious activity in PNP cases that were already approved. Therefore CIC put a hold on those PR applications that were based on OPNP certificates, to make sure that those applicants actually had legitimate grounds to apply for PR.

Based on what I've seen here in the past 1.5 years, usually the long wait happens between "medicals received" and "in process". In process to DM = around 3-6 weeks; DM to PPR = 1-3 weeks.

Either way, CIC doesn't follow a set timeline and they're 100% authorized to speed up applications that they deem worthy, such as people with a high-demand job or like you said, a work permit expiring soon. And I keep saying this over and over - every case is unique and what applies to one person doesn't necessarily apply to others. If an applicant's home country doesn't have a properly working government and CIC has trouble obtaining information from them if it needs it, that will definitely slow down the processing. Or if an applicant happens to share their name with someone who's on a security black list, that will slow it down too. It's so hard for some people to understand why they don't necessarily get processed in the same exact conditions as someone else. Sure, the one thing that CIC could improve on is making the processing more transparent, so that applicants who get delayed would at least have the chance to know why things are not moving. But for CIC it's 100% a resource issue - with 285.000 new permanent residents accepted every year, plus every other type of immigration they process, the amount of extra work it would require to create and maintain an open system is just unfathomable.

Also it's worth noting that the new Express Entry has changed / will change all these timelines, once there are no more old-school paper applications in the processing queue. So it's very likely that whoever applied starting 2015 can expect at least somewhat different timelines.