+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time line for Permanent Residence application for Refugees

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
Doesn't the fact that the refugee is away from speed up the process? I had another question. If we withdraw our asylum application, does the 5-year ban on entering Canada apply? Will he no longer have a chance to get any visa?

Doesn't the fact that the refugee is away from his family speed up the process? More than 3 years!!
It is very disappointing
Starting from the time you apply for Asylum and till the time your immediate family can join you in Canada, count at least good 4 years.
Could be even longer if the pandemic lasts longer and brings other side effects. With all the uncertainties going on, one thing is for sure that everything is and will be delayed longer than expected. But even in normal circumstances, the answer to your question is around 4 years if everything goes smoothly. If refugee claim gets rejected or hearing date gets postponed then it could take much longer...

If you are not sure about keeping up with over 4 years' processing time, I highly recommend not even getting in to it.
Forget Canada and the US or I would say even travelling else where if you claim asylum somewhere and end up being deported OR withdrawing your claim. They both put you back in a situation that you will never get any visitor, study, work visa for any country abroad. As everything is bio-metric now.

Sorry if I sound harsh or too straight forward but just trying to be as honest and to the point as possible. Because being away from my spouse since over 2.5 years and not knowing how much longer, I believe new asylum seekers should be well informed and make their minds and decisions accordingly.

If the asylum seeker is an individual who has no spouse and kids, then Canada is a great country to live in even as a asylum seeker or protected person. You can work, study, drive, rent a place, enjoy the best country in the world!.

Hope it helps! Good luck

levenscan

Oct 30, 2018
Study permit for a paralegal is just like any other study permit. You've been given incorrect advice. You can easily apply for one but at this point you will probably be best waiting until you get your PR.
Found it)
Your application to the PLEA program was declined as it is not offered to International applicants/students. Please note that even if you have submitted your Notice of Decision to Seneca College you are still considered an International Student, though you will be charged Domestic Fees.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
For those who have renewed their RTD after obtaining the COPR I have a question:

If you have a US Visa stamped and valid on the old RTD, are you able to get back the page with the Visa? Or does Passport Canada allow you to keep the expired RTD?

I'm about to fill the RTD application for my parents but was hoping they don't have to apply for new US Visas.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found an official answer online. Heres the answer:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#include

Do I need to include my expired passport or travel document?
If you apply to renew your passport, you need to enclose any Canadian travel document issued to you within the last six years.

If you want us to return the cancelled passport to you, indicate this on the application form in section two. If you do not indicate your choice or do not want your passport back, we will securely destroy the submitted passport.

If you apply using the general passport application, you don’t need to return an expired passport or travel document.

Gedionite

Aug 18, 2020
Hi everyone, I applied for pr in April 2019 but I didn't pay for my 2 kids who are 17 and 14. Last week I did my medicals and passed. I would like to pay for them now and also I forgot to send their passport photos and birth certificate and passport for travel.i have all the documents now.Is it too late to do that? And if not, how can I send them to the immigration. And how long will it take after my I get my pr before they can come to canada?. I anticipate your response, thanks
Hi people, I asked some questions some days and no one replied me. Does anybody have an input on this?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
For those who have renewed their RTD after obtaining the COPR I have a question:

If you have a US Visa stamped and valid on the old RTD, are you able to get back the page with the Visa? Or does Passport Canada allow you to keep the expired RTD?

I'm about to fill the RTD application for my parents but was hoping they don't have to apply for new US Visas.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found an official answer online. Heres the answer:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#include
But they are not accepting any RTD applications at the moment ???????