+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Shadowsun

Feb 18, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-16
AOR Received.
06-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
09-01-2017
LANDED..........
16-02-2017
Our application status has finally changed to 'Decision Made' on our CIC profile on December 13th, 2016! Now it's just to wait for the COPR ^_^!!!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Shadowsun said:
Our application status has finally changed to 'Decision Made' on our CIC profile on December 13th, 2016! Now it's just to wait for the COPR ^_^!!!
Wonderful, congratulations! Please let us know when your COIPR arrives so we can close out your entry.

Spreadsheet updated!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Anjan83 said:
hi,does anybody know if sponsor is Permanent resident of canada,application at LVO takes more time or not?
Errrr.... The sponsor is assessed and approved as the first stage of the process at CIC Mississauga BEFORE they then send the paper on to either Ottawa, London etc. for PA assessment. So sponsor decision does not affect the visa office that assesses the PA.

Anjan83

Oct 24, 2016
Hurlabrick said:
Errrr.... The sponsor is assessed and approved as the first stage of the process at CIC Mississauga BEFORE they then send the paper on to either Ottawa, London etc. for PA assessment. So sponsor decision does not affect the visa office that assesses the PA.
thanks

Kanukki

Oct 10, 2016
I received an email from CPC-Ottawa on December 14th asking for further evidence regarding our re-settlement in Canada:

Based on the information you have submitted, I am not satisfied that it is your sponsor’s intention to return to live in Canada at the time that you become a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Your sponsor has stated that she intends to return to Canada on 01October2017. This intended date of return would be beyond the expiry date of your COPR. Your COPR is only valid until the date that will be indicated. You must arrive in Canada on or before this date. Your permanent resident visa will have been given the maximum validity (usually the expiry of the valid medical exam which expires on 11July2017). It cannot be extended for any reason.
In our application, we had filled out October 1st 2017 as the estimated moving date on form IMM5540. This date was chosen somewhat arbitrarily not knowing how long the application process would actually take, so it was based on the estimated processing time of 14 months from our application in July 2016. We did however included a long detailed letter explaining our re-settlement plans, in which amongst other things explained that my wife's current job contract in the UK finishes at the end of June 2017, and that she would be applying for various academic posts in Canada with start dates of July 1st 2017. It would appear that CIC only noted the October 2017 date on the IMM5540 form, rather than the actual plan that we'd outlined.

We have subsequently responded to the email, explaining that it is my wife's intention to indeed relocate to Canada at the end of June 2017, and we attached numerous job applications that have been submitted to various academic roles. We've also included various job specifications for these roles, specifying the start date of July 1st 2017. Our plan is to initially rent an apartment, however we've cast the net out quite wide geographically with regards to academic positions, so we haven't made any firm contact regarding potential housing. We also stated in the email response that should my wife be unsuccessful in these academic applications, the intention is for her to broaden the job search to other public sector/research roles in the GTA and Ottawa regions (where she has family, and we have offers of temporary accommodation).

Does it sound like we've covered our bases with this? Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Kanukki said:
I received an email from CPC-Ottawa on December 14th asking for further evidence regarding our re-settlement in Canada:

In our application, we had filled out October 1st 2017 as the estimated moving date on form IMM5540. This date was chosen somewhat arbitrarily not knowing how long the application process would actually take, so it was based on the estimated processing time of 14 months from our application in July 2016. We did however included a long detailed letter explaining our re-settlement plans, in which amongst other things explained that my wife's current job contract in the UK finishes at the end of June 2017, and that she would be applying for various academic posts in Canada with start dates of July 1st 2017. It would appear that CIC only noted the October 2017 date on the IMM5540 form, rather than the actual plan that we'd outlined.

We have subsequently responded to the email, explaining that it is my wife's intention to indeed relocate to Canada at the end of June 2017, and we attached numerous job applications that have been submitted to various academic roles. We've also included various job specifications for these roles, specifying the start date of July 1st 2017. Our plan is to initially rent an apartment, however we've cast the net out quite wide geographically with regards to academic positions, so we haven't made any firm contact regarding potential housing. We also stated in the email response that should my wife be unsuccessful in these academic applications, the intention is for her to broaden the job search to other public sector/research roles in the GTA and Ottawa regions (where she has family, and we have offers of temporary accommodation).

Does it sound like we've covered our bases with this? Any help or insight would be appreciated!
Sounds like you have covered it to me. I would also provide the explanation you gave in your first paragraph explaining the October 2017 date in your original application (if you have not already). Yes, seems like they have fastened on one date you gave. Might be worth saying that you would move regardless of the job situation by 'x' date.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Kanukki said:

Oh crikey! I think I might have done something similar as regards our dates, I will check the copy of the forms I submitted when I get home! We haven't had any queries yet.

Of course I realise that you get 1 year from the date of the medical. If we can sell up before that date, then it will be one trip, but if the house is still not sold, we would do a 'soft landing' before the COPR expiry date to start her PR, then return to the UK for a the time it might take to finalise the house sale and make the 'residence trip' later - all of which is perfectly standard and acceptable AIUI (as long as you then meet the '2 years in 5 years' PR requirement etc.).

So for me (and I suspect for you) it is the different dates for 'landing to declare PR' (which is one date) and the possible later 'landing for residence' that seems to be confusing them??

Kanukki

Oct 10, 2016
Hurlabrick said:
Sounds like you have covered it to me. I would also provide the explanation you gave in your first paragraph explaining the October 2017 date in your original application (if you have not already). Yes, seems like they have fastened on one date you gave. Might be worth saying that you would move regardless of the job situation by 'x' date.
Thank you for the response! I did actually mention everything you suggested in our original response, so hopefully that'll alleviate their concerns.

Hurlabrick said:
Of course I realise that you get 1 year from the date of the medical. If we can sell up before that date, then it will be one trip, but if the house is still not sold, we would do a 'soft landing' before the COPR expiry date to start her PR, then return to the UK for a the time it might take to finalise the house sale and make the 'residence trip' later - all of which is perfectly standard and acceptable AIUI (as long as you then meet the '2 years in 5 years' PR requirement etc.).
This was what I had understood too from everyone else's responses, however the email from CPC-Ottawa mentioned the following, which gave me some doubts:

Subsection 130(2) of the Regulations states that, a sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor a foreign national who makes an application referred to in subsection (1) and is the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children, if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the foreign national becomes a permanent resident.

Your application states that your sponsor is a Canadian Citizen who is residing abroad (with you, in Scotland). You must satisfy a visa officer that your sponsor will reside in Canada at the time that you become a Permanent Resident of Canada and you must become a Permanent of Canada within the validity period of your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency).

To me that seems to conflict with the concept of a soft-landing? I'll keep you informed with my progress either way!

Kanukki

Oct 10, 2016
Kanukki said:
This was what I had understood too from everyone else's responses, however the email from CPC-Ottawa mentioned the following, which gave me some doubts:

Subsection 130(2) of the Regulations states that, a sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor a foreign national who makes an application referred to in subsection (1) and is the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children, if the sponsor will reside in Canada when the foreign national becomes a permanent resident.

Your application states that your sponsor is a Canadian Citizen who is residing abroad (with you, in Scotland). You must satisfy a visa officer that your sponsor will reside in Canada at the time that you become a Permanent Resident of Canada and you must become a Permanent of Canada within the validity period of your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency).
I should've mentioned that I've added the emphasis in that quote - the bolded sections were not specifically emphasised by CIC.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Kanukki you're just overthinking it. :) Not everyone is able to move immediately, so they do the 'soft landing', tie up loose ends, etc, and then make the permanent move after that. A lot of people as well wait to apply for jobs until they have PR because most employers don't want to hire someone who might not be able to work, it's much easier to apply once you are all sorted with your working status. And not everyone can afford to be without a job while they look for a new one and whatnot.

We did the same thing. Landed Dec 2012, went back to the UK. Did a 2-week trip June 2013, did interviews, went back to the UK. Moved permanently in September 2013. No problem on any of those encounters with CBSA.

It's totally normal, and in a lot of cases, expected.

Don't stress. :)

Kanukki

Oct 10, 2016
SchnookoLoly said:
Kanukki you're just overthinking it. :) Not everyone is able to move immediately, so they do the 'soft landing', tie up loose ends, etc, and then make the permanent move after that. A lot of people as well wait to apply for jobs until they have PR because most employers don't want to hire someone who might not be able to work, it's much easier to apply once you are all sorted with your working status. And not everyone can afford to be without a job while they look for a new one and whatnot.

We did the same thing. Landed Dec 2012, went back to the UK. Did a 2-week trip June 2013, did interviews, went back to the UK. Moved permanently in September 2013. No problem on any of those encounters with CBSA.

It's totally normal, and in a lot of cases, expected.

Don't stress. :)
I wasn't worried before that email last week :D Based on what I've read, I think we should be fine with the additional information we've sent, but it's still a little unnerving knowing that it's ultimately at an officer's discretion. But, like you said, I'm probably overthinking it, and it'll all be sorted in a few months time!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Kanukki said:
I wasn't worried before that email last week :D Based on what I've read, I think we should be fine with the additional information we've sent, but it's still a little unnerving knowing that it's ultimately at an officer's discretion. But, like you said, I'm probably overthinking it, and it'll all be sorted in a few months time!
I just responded to your post in the more specific thread on BE, and I messaged a few more people to ask for their input because I am honestly a bit baffled by the situation!

DeanoC91

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/12/2016
AOR Received.
09/01/2017
Med's Done....
25-11-16
Mississuaga received my application 07/12/2016

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
DeanoC91 said:
Mississuaga received my application 07/12/2016
I cant see you on the spreadsheet, do you want to have an entry? If so, please let us have the details you can see on the spreadsheet in my signature line and I will set that up......