+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
kettle said:
:) I definitely had a chuckle over your reply! Thanks! This is incredibly reassuring! and I can certainly be a lot more hopeful!

We've been together in Canada for 5 years until recently, common-law for just over two before his final visa expired. He's currently in the UK but is intending to come back as a visitor in a week. (We were going to re apply based on the fact our consultants advice) I am *HOPING* that he doesn't get refused entry at the border, as there was a kerfuffle last time he came over in January after our trip to the UK for Christmas. He was given 40 days and had to return to the UK. This time he will be bringing his letter from CIC which actually has a typo and states he has an in country application in progress. So hopefully that will work for him. Fingers crossed.
Simply put, your consultant is an idiot. No, do NOT withdraw your application!!! Leave it processing.

Re: Timelines and offices. Which offices is processing stage 2 of your application? Your sponsor approval letter will say. Let me know that office and then I'll add you into the spreadsheet, which it sounds like you've already found. The majority of people on the spreadsheet have straight-forward applications, and averages via London are sitting at about 8 months, that's been pretty steady for about a year or so. Averages for Ottawa processing is marginally faster, and averages for Mississauga processing is notably faster (like, 4 months total). So just leave it processing, sit tight. Let me know which office has your app!

Re: Re-entering Canada. Read this, it will answer all your questions and put your mind at ease: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Can_I_wait_in_Canada_while_my_application_is_being_processed:_Dual_Intent

And fire your lawyer.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
SchnookoLoly said:
Simply put, your consultant is an idiot. No, do NOT withdraw your application!!! Leave it processing.

Re: Timelines and offices. Which offices is processing stage 2 of your application? Your sponsor approval letter will say. Let me know that office and then I'll add you into the spreadsheet, which it sounds like you've already found. The majority of people on the spreadsheet have straight-forward applications, and averages via London are sitting at about 8 months, that's been pretty steady for about a year or so. Averages for Ottawa processing is marginally faster, and averages for Mississauga processing is notably faster (like, 4 months total). So just leave it processing, sit tight. Let me know which office has your app!

Re: Re-entering Canada. Read this, it will answer all your questions and put your mind at ease:
And fire your lawyer.
The firm we are using was great for his work visas, understandably the SO wanted to show his gratitude and loyalty by using them again. The consultant was just concerned about the typo originally. As soon as the request for the medical came through, she immediately told us not to resubmit. :) So not totally incompetent, just a little muddled at the beginning. :D

The 2nd stage office is Mississauga as well. Happy days!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
kettle said:
The firm we are using was great for his work visas, understandably the SO wanted to show his gratitude and loyalty by using them again. The consultant was just concerned about the typo originally. As soon as the request for the medical came through, she immediately told us not to resubmit. :) So not totally incompetent, just a little muddled at the beginning. :D

OK I've added you in! :)

Just need t know where the PA is located -- wherever the mailing address is! :)

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
SchnookoLoly said:
OK I've added you in! :)

Just need t know where the PA is located -- wherever the mailing address is! :)
UK address or Canadian one? :) (PA is the British spouse being sponsored by me the Canadian yes?)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kettle said:

No consultant worth their salt should have ever made the suggestion to switch to inland. Also, the medical should have been done AND the RPRF should have been paid BEFORE you submitted the app in order to avoid the delay caused when CIC has to request it and wait. If waiting for the requests was also the advice of your consultant....incompetent.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Ah yes, good comment - I meant to comment on that and forgot!

The checklist for the outland application CLEARLY states to include the medical - kettle, you were lucky your application wasn't returned for being incomplete!! Seriously, the lawyer may be more knowledgeable with work visas, but s/he clearly knows squat about family class!

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
No consultant worth their salt should have ever made the suggestion to switch to inland. Also, the medical should have been done AND the RPRF should have been paid BEFORE you submitted the app in order to avoid the delay caused when CIC has to request it and wait. If waiting for the requests was also the advice of your consultant....incompetent.
Yes it was her advice. She told us what documents she needed and when. He had a medical booked for the day before we were going to submit and she told us to cancel it as it might expire before they needed it, or that they might not request a medical at all?

SchnookoLoly said:
Ah yes, good comment - I meant to comment on that and forgot!

The checklist for the outland application CLEARLY states to include the medical - kettle, you were lucky your application wasn't returned for being incomplete!! Seriously, the lawyer may be more knowledgeable with work visas, but s/he clearly knows squat about family class!

Well poop. This is discouraging.

Do you think it has set us back a lot? He got the medical within two days of asking, and the fee is getting paid Tuesday when we have an appointment with the consultant.

Its kind of discouraging when you put your faith in someone who does this for a living and find out they're making mistakes and offering bad advice.

Location is Edmonton/Cardiff I wasn't sure which one you needed.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
kettle said:
Yes it was her advice. She told us what documents she needed and when. He had a medical booked for the day before we were going to submit and she told us to cancel it as it might expire before they needed it, or that they might not request a medical at all?
*HEADDESK* Might not request a medical at all?! What?! FFS.... this woman is an idiot!!!

The medical is a *REQUIREMENT*. It's on the checklist. CIC doesn't request it just when they feel like it. They have an obligation to protect the country from infectious diseases, etc. Family class applicants can't be excluded for medical requirements (e.g., your partner could have cancer, and he couldn't be denied on that basis), but every single PR applicant is screened for a few infectious diseases that could pose a threat to Canadians - TB is the main one they look for. If your medical is going to expire before they are going to issue PR, CIC will either opt to extend it themselves for up to a year, or they'll request you go do another one. Sorry, I'm not ranting at you, kettle, I'm ranting at your idiot consultant!!!!!!!

Well poop. This is discouraging.

Do you think it has set us back a lot? He got the medical within two days of asking, and the fee is getting paid Tuesday when we have an appointment with the consultant.

Its kind of discouraging when you put your faith in someone who does this for a living and find out they're making mistakes and offering bad advice.

Location is Edmonton/Cardiff I wasn't sure which one you needed.
It will set you back a bit. Blood tests and xrays etc all take time to process... so the results have to be sent to the relevant person who then has to review the results and write up a report the submit the results to CIC. It will be a bit of a delay, but not a ridiculous one. So I wouldn't stress out TOO much over it.

I've put Edmonton, presumably your other half is looking to camp out there as a visitor while waiting for PR to come through!

Chin up about the medical... if you get any other requests, though, perhaps check in with us and ignore your stupid lawyer. :) (I do feel bad for you on this one!)

The FAQ linked in my signature has a whole section on "what happens after I apply", worth just having a quick flip through that to see if it answers any outstanding questions you have. :)

Chin up, dear!

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
SchnookoLoly said:
*HEADDESK* Might not request a medical at all?! What?! FFS.... this woman is an idiot!!!

The medical is a *REQUIREMENT*. It's on the checklist. CIC doesn't request it just when they feel like it. They have an obligation to protect the country from infectious diseases, etc. Family class applicants can't be excluded for medical requirements (e.g., your partner could have cancer, and he couldn't be denied on that basis), but every single PR applicant is screened for a few infectious diseases that could pose a threat to Canadians - TB is the main one they look for. If your medical is going to expire before they are going to issue PR, CIC will either opt to extend it themselves for up to a year, or they'll request you go do another one. Sorry, I'm not ranting at you, kettle, I'm ranting at your idiot consultant!!!!!!!

It will set you back a bit. Blood tests and xrays etc all take time to process... so the results have to be sent to the relevant person who then has to review the results and write up a report the submit the results to CIC. It will be a bit of a delay, but not a ridiculous one. So I wouldn't stress out TOO much over it.

I've put Edmonton, presumably your other half is looking to camp out there as a visitor while waiting for PR to come through!

Chin up about the medical... if you get any other requests, though, perhaps check in with us and ignore your stupid lawyer. :) (I do feel bad for you on this one!)

The FAQ linked in my signature has a whole section on "what happens after I apply", worth just having a quick flip through that to see if it answers any outstanding questions you have. :)

Chin up, dear!
:) Thank you!

I just read over that link and now have another question. We only submitted a satutory declaration of our Common-Law Partnership. Thats it. Is this going to change things? Or is that somewhat null since I've already been approved as a sponsor?

I really should have come to this forum first instead of hiring our consultant.

**EDIT**

We also didn't submit police clearances. He has one from the UK, but not one from Canada... There was no mention of police clearances from our consultant until she asked us to consider withdrawing our application and resubmitting..

andrew-brit

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
SA: 31-10-2014 In Process: 07-09-2015
File Transfer...
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014 extended until 19-10-2016
Passport Req..
DM 05-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
30-12-2015
kettle said:
We also didn't submit police clearances. He has one from the UK, but not one from Canada... There was no mention of police clearances from our consultant until she asked us to consider withdrawing our application and resubmitting..
You do not need one from Canada. CIC will do their own checks.

The police clearance certificate needs to be under 3 months old from the date of issue. If it is older than 3 months when CIC receives it they will ask for a new one.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kettle said:
:) Thank you!

I just read over that link and now have another question. We only submitted a satutory declaration of our Common-Law Partnership. Thats it. Is this going to change things? Or is that somewhat null since I've already been approved as a sponsor?

Wow, your consultant really screwed you over.

The Stac Dec will mean pretty much nothing. You need to prove to CIC that you are common-law. You should have included joint leases, joint utility bills, joint bank statements, mail in each name or both names at the same address, at least 2 notarized letters from family or friends confirming your relationship (this is an actual requirement as per the checklist) photos etc.

You can expect a request for further proof of common-law status, so I suggest you start gathering it now. This will most definitely delay your app.

The police certificate should also have been sent WITH the app. Note that it must be less than 3 months old by the time CIC receives it.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
Wow, your consultant really screwed you over.

The Stac Dec will mean pretty much nothing. You need to prove to CIC that you are common-law. You should have included joint leases, joint utility bills, joint bank statements, mail in each name or both names at the same address, at least 2 notarized letters from family or friends confirming your relationship (this is an actual requirement as per the checklist) photos etc.

You can expect a request for further proof of common-law status, so I suggest you start gathering it now. This will most definitely delay your app.

The police certificate should also have been sent WITH the app. Note that it must be less than 3 months old by the time CIC receives it.
The police clearance is a week old as of today, so that's at least a silver lining.
We did provide proof of cohabitation, mail, but not bills as they are all in my name, a joint auto insurance policy, and life insurance.declaring the other half as a beneficiary also proof of bank accounts, but did not provide notarized letters because she didn't ask for them and the SO and I put our trust in her knowledge of the process and didn't double check she was asking for the correct information.

This just keeps getting worse, the more I dig into it. I will make some enquiries tomorrow and see if anyone can do up the letters for us.

christof135

Mar 18, 2015
Once a request for passports is sent from cic, how long does it take for them to return the passports? It can't be long surely? Or I wouldn't be able leave the country for ages....?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kettle said:
The police clearance is a week old as of today, so that's at least a silver lining.
We did provide proof of cohabitation, mail, but not bills as they are all in my name, a joint auto insurance policy, and life insurance.declaring the other half as a beneficiary also proof of bank accounts, but did not provide notarized letters because she didn't ask for them and the SO and I put our trust in her knowledge of the process and didn't double check she was asking for the correct information.
Send the UK PCC to Mississauga. Include a cover letter with all of your details and the file number. Don't go through the consultant or wait for CIC to request it; just send it now yourselves.

That's good that you included the proof of cohabitation. As long as you covered at least a year, you should be OK on that front.

As I stated above, the two notarized letters are actually required as per the checklist. I suggest you get those ASAP and send them off with the UK PCC. The people should write them in their own words; they should include their full contact details, state how they know you, that your relationship is genuine (possibly by telling of a time when they were with you both and observed your relationship), that you've lived together for X time. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

And try not to stress out over this stuff. Mississauga is a SUPER fast office, so even with the potential delays, your app will be processed faster than most.

Szymon

Aug 15, 2014
andrew-brit said:
You do not need one from Canada. CIC will do their own checks.

The police clearance certificate needs to be under 3 months old from the date of issue. If it is older than 3 months when CIC receives it they will ask for a new one.
We used a lawyers too - was just going through this and saw the requirement that the police certificate needs to be less than 3 months old. My certificate is from end of June and application was received on the 5th November. Whats the best thing to do now? Is it to wait for CIC to request this to be updated or is it best to request a new police certificate now and send it to the Visa Office ourselves?