+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

canucks78

May 29, 2012
yeah maybe thats why, well i hope you here soon and everything goes ok! Look like ill just sit and wait and see what happens! lol

Dawlphin_17

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2012
Doc's Request.
22-08-2012 & 22-01-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2012
File Transfer...
10-09-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Hi guys,
Im a Canadian living in England with my common-law partner, sponsoring him to come to Canada with me, as my current UK work visa expired the end of October. Our plan has always been to return to Canada together when this happens. The thing we are struggling with is providing 'proof' we are planning to live together once we are in Canada. As neither of us have job offers there, or a place, we dont have much proof to offer, other then letters from friends and family stating they have known our intent to live in Canada and a letter from my parents stating we can live with them until we can get a place of our own.
We looked into opening up a joint bank account from england in canada (via HSBC) but they want to charge 100 quid to get that set up, and with all the other fees that go along with this application we just cant afford it at the moment.
Do you think these letters, along with all of the proof of our genuine relationship we wish to continue once i have to return to Canada will be enough? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey dawlphin_17,

It's always difficult to know if the documentation will be enough, and each relationship and each case is different, so on that point I think you will only get "personal opinions" - but to me it looks like you have already quite a few documents, with letters from family and friends stating that they know you are coming back to Canada, and the letters from your parents - that looks quite good.

one thing we did - but that's only a personal suggestion, nothing more - is to include a "timeline" - since you already know when your work permit expires, maybe you could detail what you intend to do to wrap up things where you are currently living, and the intended "moving date", as well as the steps you will take once arriving in Canada - to prove to the officer that you have thought about leaving, you know what needs to be done (notice period for your current rent, for your work, expiry date of your work permit, any administrative step you or your partner need to take when leaving the UK, etc), and you are aware what moving implies for you both in the UK, and when in Canada. But then again - just a suggestion.

Good luck with your application!
Sweden

gideonj

Oct 11, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2012
Med's Done....
11-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2013
Hey guys,

I had my medical today, just thought I'd share my details so that others who are going through this know what to expect / it might be helpful.

My situation: I am an UK national, living in Canada (Vancouver) on a temporary working visa with my Canadian girlfriend of 3 years, seeking common law sponsorship.

Firstly I contacted Dr. Desmond Dwyer's office at 750 West Broadway (I found this Dr. by checking the list of approved immigration medical check Drs.). I explained when making the appointment what my situation was, they were very helpful and told me that I needed to bring a long my passport, photographs (Although they will take them for an additional 10$ if you don't have any), and appendix C from the form 3901e.As well as $190 in cash.

The appointment took me 2 hours 15 minutes to complete, most of this was waiting so bring a book :)
I filled out a form detailing all my medical history and medicine I was on (I have no current medicine, two instances of surgery in the past) I initially had to strip to my underwear and have a typical medical check (stethoscope chest and back, blood pressure), then I had to do a quick eye exam (read a chart off a wall).

Next came blood - two tubes taken form a single insertion. Pretty painless, the nurse was a pro :)

Then I had to go to a different building and have my X ray done, (they don't have on site xrays at this facility). More waiting, stripped off my top and a chest x ray.

The first part cost $160 (I needed photos doing, $150 without), and then you pay the extra $40 at the x ray place.

They handle all the postage, (Fedex) and form filling for this information, and send it off to the immigration centre, leaving you with a single slip of paper to include in your application to let the visa office find your records.

Hope that's helpful to someone, or maybe just to calm your nerves if you are nervous about medical stuff. I'm now onto getting hold of my police report from the UK while living in Canada :/ tricky (trying to find how to provide them with a proof of my address, and if they need a UK one)

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
gideonj said:
Hey guys,

I had my medical today, just thought I'd share my details so that others who are going through this know what to expect / it might be helpful.

My situation: I am an UK national, living in Canada (Vancouver) on a temporary working visa with my Canadian girlfriend of 3 years, seeking common law sponsorship.

Firstly I contacted Dr. Desmond Dwyer's office at 750 West Broadway (I found this Dr. by checking the list of approved immigration medical check Drs.). I explained when making the appointment what my situation was, they were very helpful and told me that I needed to bring a long my passport, photographs (Although they will take them for an additional 10$ if you don't have any), and appendix C from the form 3901e.As well as $190 in cash.

The appointment took me 2 hours 15 minutes to complete, most of this was waiting so bring a book :)
I filled out a form detailing all my medical history and medicine I was on (I have no current medicine, two instances of surgery in the past) I initially had to strip to my underwear and have a typical medical check (stethoscope chest and back, blood pressure), then I had to do a quick eye exam (read a chart off a wall).

Next came blood - two tubes taken form a single insertion. Pretty painless, the nurse was a pro :)

Then I had to go to a different building and have my X ray done, (they don't have on site xrays at this facility). More waiting, stripped off my top and a chest x ray.

The first part cost $160 (I needed photos doing, $150 without), and then you pay the extra $40 at the x ray place.

They handle all the postage, (Fedex) and form filling for this information, and send it off to the immigration centre, leaving you with a single slip of paper to include in your application to let the visa office find your records.

Hope that's helpful to someone, or maybe just to calm your nerves if you are nervous about medical stuff. I'm now onto getting hold of my police report from the UK while living in Canada :/ tricky (trying to find how to provide them with a proof of my address, and if they need a UK one)
I have my appointment at Dr Dwyer's office on Thursday afternoon! I rang the office today and the lady I spoke to was super helpful and nice. They're also the cheapest of the downtown medical places too. Thanks very much for the rundown of the process, it was really useful :) I'll definitely be bringing my Kindle!
My IEC visa runs out this Saturday, and we can't submit our application for PR until July as that's when my boyfriend and I hit the common law status. We've been together for just over 18 months. My original plan was to get the second IEC visa, but I don't qualify anymore as you have to have resided in the UK for 18 months continually out of the last three years, and I have been in Canada for 2.5 years now (aside from going home for 1.5 months last May).
I'm currently working my way through all the paperwork, but sometimes it makes me go cross-eyed if I stare at it too long. It feels quite overwhelming sometimes but this forum is amazing. I'm trying to organise my supporting documents at the moment and I'm going to get some stationary (dividers and stuff) when I head to Vancouver for my appointment, to try and present my application in an organised fashion. I'm also applying outland by the way, but staying in Canada whilst it's being processed.

Have you decided what you are going to do about staying over here? All I did was extend my status as a visitor, and when I filled out the form online I told them my plans to apply for PR and asked if they could make my extension 12 months rather than the usual six, and when I got my paperwork in the mail I saw that they had done that for me so I was stoked. You could probably have applied for a new IEC visa, but I think all the allocations have gone now :( But I'm sure if you wanted to study you could just apply online (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/study.asp).

babydart

Apr 22, 2010
Hi
:(
My husban has his interview in London uk on April 11,2012. The officer told him we send u the destion after two weeks , we got nothing so i emailed thim on may 12 they saied they r doing background chick up, n they will let us know .
My qution is Wht is that mean n how long it usually take for thim to do background chick n shuld I emaill thim again or just wait .
Ps they told my husband his medical got expired on the interview but they didn't ask for a new one

Plz help

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
@gideonj

Regarding the police check, when I did mine for the IEC I just used my Canada address, and I have done so for my new police check as well. Just sent the forms off today, in fact. I gave all my previous addresses in Canada (used the continuation sheet), and my last two UK addresses (the first one of these being my mum's so it took me back to 2000). I can't remember what proof of address I gave the first time, most likely a Rogers bill and some bank letter or something. This time I just submitted a BC Hydro letter and a Canada Revenue Agency letter.

I posted everything to my best friend as he is self employed and owns a limited company so he can do the photo endorsement (he did it for me last time). I also sent cash (I'm a bit worried about this but I don't really have a choice) so he can exchange it and write a cheque for me to cover the cost of the certificate, postage back to Canada etc, and then he'll post everything on to the police. When the check is done, the certificate will be posted directly back to my home in Canada.

Dawlphin_17

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2012
Doc's Request.
22-08-2012 & 22-01-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2012
File Transfer...
10-09-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Sweden said:
Hey dawlphin_17,

It's always difficult to know if the documentation will be enough, and each relationship and each case is different, so on that point I think you will only get "personal opinions" - but to me it looks like you have already quite a few documents, with letters from family and friends stating that they know you are coming back to Canada, and the letters from your parents - that looks quite good.

one thing we did - but that's only a personal suggestion, nothing more - is to include a "timeline" - since you already know when your work permit expires, maybe you could detail what you intend to do to wrap up things where you are currently living, and the intended "moving date", as well as the steps you will take once arriving in Canada - to prove to the officer that you have thought about leaving, you know what needs to be done (notice period for your current rent, for your work, expiry date of your work permit, any administrative step you or your partner need to take when leaving the UK, etc), and you are aware what moving implies for you both in the UK, and when in Canada. But then again - just a suggestion.

Good luck with your application!
Sweden
Thanks for the response Sweden! We actually do have a timeline, but I had really only done it outlining out relationship up until october when I will be leaving but am going to spend tonight writing up a tentative timeline for when I return to Canada and what he will be doing while waiting for the visa approval. And that is the last touch, in the mail tomorrow hopefully! and then the waiting game.....

gideonj

Oct 11, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2012
Med's Done....
11-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2013
@Woffles

Hey thanks for getting in touch! :) It's comforting to know people are going through nearly the exact same thing as me: I'm in a very similar situation to you... you are right I could have applied for another IEC, but I missed the date by a couple of days :( Slightly heart braking!

So now I am doing much like you, my IEC runs out in October, so after that I'll stay here as a visitor, until hopefully my application comes through - I'm working off the assumption it will take 10 months (3 months common law approval, 7 months London) and I will have to fly back to London for an interview at some point.

The scary part for me: the 5 months or so when I can't work but need to stay in Canada, eek. Ah well, I'll figure it out.

All off this sound familiar to you? Where abouts are you based if you have to come 'in' to Vancouver?

Fhaider

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babydart said:
Hi
:(
My husban has his interview in London uk on April 11,2012. The officer told him we send u the destion after two weeks , we got nothing so i emailed thim on may 12 they saied they r doing background chick up, n they will let us know .
My qution is Wht is that mean n how long it usually take for thim to do background chick n shuld I emaill thim again or just wait .
Ps they told my husband his medical got expired on the interview but they didn't ask for a new one

Plz help
Hi babydart

you need to wait. there is nothing you can do to speed up the process

wish you best of luck

Thanks

F

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Weegie said:
I have to disagree with this point. You can volunteer in most cases where you are not remunerated. Generally, you need a work permit in order to get a SIN number (NI number) in order for your employer to pay you. Conversely, if you are not being paid, you don't need a SIN and therefore don't need a work permit. See the following link for details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp
Woffles - Weegie is right, I volunteered at an animal shelter before I became a PR and had no issues whatsoever. Go ahead and volunteer your time, a great way to meet new people too.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
NevilleUK said:
Hey Pinklady,

Good to have you back. Have you been on your holidays?
I did, I went on my holidays to good old England :)

And then I got sick which is why I havent been around. I am currently catching up on all the updates!

gideonj

Oct 11, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2012
Med's Done....
11-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2013
Hi,

A couple more questions :)

Firstly forum related:
- I see that some of you have things like your timeline in your user details to the left of each post, I'd like to add mine to help out others but can't figure it out, sorry if this is asked all the time, but I can't find where to do it?

Secondly visa related:
- As i mentioned above, I'm going to be here for a period as a visitor, with no permit to work while I wait for my application to come through (if successful). I'm considering going to school in this time to grab some additional skills, and I wonder if I could apply for and get a student visa (with work permit that comes with it for some part time coffee shop work or similar) *WHILE* my PR application is ongoing.

Any experience with that kind of thing?
Thanks! :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey gideonj,

for the timeline under your profile, you need to reach 10 posts - one more to go, then in the profile you will be given the option to update and put more information...

For the student visa - I am not too sure, but I suppose somebody else will be able to answer very soon!

Good luck with putting everything together!
Best,
Sweden

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Hi again,
I think I have added all the recent updates to the spreadsheet (link below). If I have missed anything, please let me know!