+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Been here since 2011 - PR on 28/05/2015
Sweden said:
No worries - OWP is open work permit. If you apply inland and send an OWP request together with the application, you will be getting an OWP after the first stage (4 to 6 months apparently now), so then you could work until you are approved for PR. It's usually why most people choose the Inland route - as in total it's 14 months to get the PR, so for Uk applicants, longer than outland, but you get a work permit after stage 1, when with outland you have to wait until the full PR is issued - if you see the spreadsheet in my signature, you'll see that quite a few applicants are done in 7 months total ( so yes - inland is longer than outland).
Thanks Sweden!
I didnt include an OWP application as it wasn't in the application package. I was lead to believe that if stage 1 is approved then they would send the work permit automatically. Either way I'll have to sort that out at a later date now. But I do need to work, it's hard on one income!

cheers

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
UKZippy said:
Thanks Sweden!
I didnt include an OWP application as it wasn't in the application package. I was lead to believe that if stage 1 is approved then they would send the work permit automatically. Either way I'll have to sort that out at a later date now. But I do need to work, it's hard on one income!

cheers
Unfortunately, you can not add the OWP at a later stage. So... if you keep on with an Inland application, you will have to wait until the end ( as it is now, 14 months).
You can try to qualify for a work permit independently, either through LMO, or IEC visa if you qualify.
Or - send an outland application ( but that's costly!) and see who finished first... ( that's actually legal...).
Or withdraw the inland ( depending on how long you have been waiting), and file outland (redo the forms etc, but if you withdraw your inland application they probably will refund almost all the fees).
Good luck!
Sweden

michty6

Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
'In Progress' at London from 10/12/2012
File Transfer...
15-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made 28/3/2013. GCMS notes show London forgot about my file until I emailed them in February...
bonitanita said:
Hi guys

I am moving from Newfoundland to Toronto next week. I need to Land and so I was thinking of stopping at a border along the way somewhere. Has anyone had experiences at any of those borders? Can we roll up in our U-Haul and just stop by? Do I need to apply for an American tourist visa online in order to do this?

Cheers
To leave Canada and re-enter on a new visa ('flagpole') is very simple at any land border crossings. You exit the Canadian border (by vehicle or by foot - by foot is probably easier) and go across to the American side. There you tell them that you are flag-poling to renew or re-enter on a new visa (show them this paperwork) and then what they do is give you this piece of paper that says you left Canada and were 'refused entry' to America. Don't worry this is not an official refusal or anything like this, just an administrative slip that confirms you had left Canada. You then walk back across to the Canada side where they take this off you, check your paperwork and stamp you back in.

I did this at Niagara Falls (walked across the bridge just down from the falls - great view!) to re-enter Canada on my 2nd IEC with no problems at all.

The guy on the American side actually asked if I wanted to enter America or not, I just said no I was just wanting to flag-pole but thanks for the invite ;). If you were to enter (I have also done this many times over land) you would fill out some forms and pay a fee ($6 I think), they usually take a head-shot and some finger prints before giving you a 90 day stamp.

UKZippy

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vergreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-02-2013
AOR Received.
11-02-2013
Med's Request
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
Been here since 2011 - PR on 28/05/2015
Sweden said:
Unfortunately, you can not add the OWP at a later stage. So... if you keep on with an Inland application, you will have to wait until the end ( as it is now, 14 months).
You can try to qualify for a work permit independently, either through LMO, or IEC visa if you qualify.
Or - send an outland application ( but that's costly!) and see who finished first... ( that's actually legal...).
Or withdraw the inland ( depending on how long you have been waiting), and file outland (redo the forms etc, but if you withdraw your inland application they probably will refund almost all the fees).
Good luck!
Sweden
Thanks Sweden,
A shame they didn't make that clear on the web site :(

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2012 rcvd 2 May 2012
Doc's Request.
04-12-2012 sent to High Commission on 21-12-2012
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
michty6 said:
To leave Canada and re-enter on a new visa ('flagpole') is very simple at any land border crossings. You exit the Canadian border (by vehicle or by foot - by foot is probably easier) and go across to the American side. There you tell them that you are flag-poling to renew or re-enter on a new visa (show them this paperwork) and then what they do is give you this piece of paper that says you left Canada and were 'refused entry' to America. Don't worry this is not an official refusal or anything like this, just an administrative slip that confirms you had left Canada. You then walk back across to the Canada side where they take this off you, check your paperwork and stamp you back in.

I did this at Niagara Falls (walked across the bridge just down from the falls - great view!) to re-enter Canada on my 2nd IEC with no problems at all.

The guy on the American side actually asked if I wanted to enter America or not, I just said no I was just wanting to flag-pole but thanks for the invite ;). If you were to enter (I have also done this many times over land) you would fill out some forms and pay a fee ($6 I think), they usually take a head-shot and some finger prints before giving you a 90 day stamp.
Thanks. I was just wondering whether or not I would be able to walk over at a border. Only ever driven before and did not want to drive this time because we're gonna have all our crap in the truck and sometimes, customs can be a B****. Guess that is the plan for next Thursday then.... I'll let you all know how I get on. :)

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
bonitanita said:
Thanks. I was just wondering whether or not I would be able to walk over at a border. Only ever driven before and did not want to drive this time because we're gonna have all our crap in the truck and sometimes, customs can be a B****. Guess that is the plan for next Thursday then.... I'll let you all know how I get on. :)
Good luck! Whereabouts in Toronto are you moving to?

SaMoS

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
Are people still having problems getting into Ecas?

I'm missing not being able to see that my status hasn't changed... ;-)

ghunter

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
AOR Received.
03-05-2013
File Transfer...
16-05-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2013; re-issued 16-12-2013
LANDED..........
08-01-2014
Sweden said:
The 12 months don't have to be the most recent 12 months, but you need to prove that the cohabitation continues. So include the lease for 2 years where you both have your names on the lease, it will establish the "common law" criteria without any doubts. Then explain that you are currently living in Canada with your parents first ( and get a letter from them stating the dates etc, and if you have any other proofs, like letters coming for both of you etc, then include it as well), and then get a letter from the other relative, and proofs as well. You need to prove that you have lived at least 12 months together (and a rent is a good start), but you also need to prove that the common-law relationship is still on-going - hence the rest of the documents. The more complete your file is, the quicker it will be processed.
Good luck,
Sweden
Thank you! We are hoping that the two leases from the UK, letters from parents and relative saying that we lived with them this year, photos, plane tickets/ hotel reservations, a joint bank account, drivers licenses with the same address, letters from friends, and some sort of timeline of our relationship will be enough?

I am a bit confused about what to put in the lack of a cerimony for our common law relationship - we are 22 and want to wait until we can afford a proper wedding, so for now are happily common law - is that enough to say?

Thanks!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
ghunter said:
Thank you! We are hoping that the two leases from the UK, letters from parents and relative saying that we lived with them this year, photos, plane tickets/ hotel reservations, a joint bank account, drivers licenses with the same address, letters from friends, and some sort of timeline of our relationship will be enough?

I am a bit confused about what to put in the lack of a cerimony for our common law relationship - we are 22 and want to wait until we can afford a proper wedding, so for now are happily common law - is that enough to say?

Thanks!
I think that's good. They'll definitely understand that, particularly as you're so young. Are you guys officially engaged? Did you put that in the application? I think the joint bank account will be the biggest winner for you. I can't remember if it was on this thread, or another, but someone did remind us that VO's are people, not robots and given a reasonable case they will understand it!

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DGT said:
Good luck! Whereabouts in Toronto are you moving to?
We're going to be looking for an apartment downtown. Hopefully get something good when we get there! :)

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
bonitanita said:
We're going to be looking for an apartment downtown. Hopefully get something good when we get there! :)
Cool! There are some good condos in Liberty Village just west of downtown and there are quite a lot available as they're just being finished. They're kinda pricy of course but at least with a condo you don't have to pay for your heating/air con. Good nightlife and restaurants a bit further north up at King St W and Queen St W. I'd also recommend finding a realtor to help you out! It doesn't cost you anything, and it makes the whole process quick and painless. We found an apartment within 6 days of arrival! Lemme know if you need any recommendations for anywhere to eat or drink in the city too! The bar game is my business. :)

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Gary_87 said:
Can anyone help with what happens next for me? Cpc miss received my app today. What's the next stage? Aor then sponsor approval? Or is aor sponsor approval?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, once CPC Miss. has received your file they will assess your sponsor. You should receive notification (AOR) via email or snail mail that they have received your file depending on whether you gave them an email address or not and then they will send you another notification telling you whether you have sponsorship approval. If you are like me and some others you will receive your AOR first and then your approval the next day or two, but everyone is different. They are averaging about 55 days just now for first stage approval. After this they will send your file to London for processing which will take between approximately 4-9 months right now.

msmith1789

Star Member
Aug 25, 2010
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21st 2013
AOR Received.
March 7th 2013
File Transfer...
March 26th 2013
Med's Request
Sent with initial application
Med's Done....
Dec 4th 2012
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
August 19th 2013
LANDED..........
September 27th 2013
ghunter said:

Thanks!
Hi ghunter,

we sound like the same situation as you, apart from the two lease agreements. - we are both 23!

We have included three separate piles of information :

1. Sponsors documents : Mortgage, Hydro Bill
2. Applicant's Documents: Costco membership, T4, pay slips, cell phone
3. Documents in both our names: Misc bills, strata fees, joint bank account for 12 mths highlighting $ going in and out, life insurance through my work.

We also got letters from both our parents and a family cousin and Aunt & Uncle. (parents ones to be notarized)

We will add in a timeline just to pull everything together.

By the way, (this goes out to anyone) - when mailing your application how did you present it in the envelope or in which order? We were thinking - Sponsors IMM forms / Applicants IMM forms / Supporting Documents and printing off some title pages of what was in that particular section?

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DGT said:
Cool! There are some good condos in Liberty Village just west of downtown and there are quite a lot available as they're just being finished. They're kinda pricy of course but at least with a condo you don't have to pay for your heating/air con. Good nightlife and restaurants a bit further north up at King St W and Queen St W. I'd also recommend finding a realtor to help you out! It doesn't cost you anything, and it makes the whole process quick and painless. We found an apartment within 6 days of arrival! Lemme know if you need any recommendations for anywhere to eat or drink in the city too! The bar game is my business. :)
Thanks!

The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that my boyfriend has an excellent job. He earns way above average but has a bad credit score. I have an excellent credit score but will be looking for a job when we get there.

I wonder if that is going to be an issue.

Do you have a realtor you would recommend?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
bonitanita said:
Thanks!

The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that my boyfriend has an excellent job. He earns way above average but has a bad credit score. I have an excellent credit score but will be looking for a job when we get there.

I wonder if that is going to be an issue.

Do you have a realtor you would recommend?
Hey! I hope the credit score won't be an issue for you! What you will probably need in that case is a letter from his employer just stating his salary and a statement about his character. Also should be fine if you have any references! My wife and I both had good credit, so we gave our credit scores, employment info and your references. It's a good time to moving to TO because it's actually a buyers market in this 'hood just now. Lots of empty brand new properties with nervous landlords! So you should be fine. I'll message you the email address of the realtor we used. Like I say, she was quick and very helpful in dealing with all the paperwork etc.