Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I love all this car talk but I would rather be discussing PPRs ;D Are we seriously going on Thursday without a single PPR yet this week? :'(

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, you're one of the lucky Marchers ;) It's important to remember that the 11 months is for 80% of cases, but I don't blame you for thinking conservatively about that and not expecting a quick processing time. Now you've got a pleasant surprise.
yvzp said:
I know, but we applied in March and the website says 11 month which would be February, yet here it is only September. I was totally expecting another 4-5 months.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
My lawyer told us that we could chose Buffalo, Paris or Canada since she has been living in Canada for more than one year, and that seems consistent with what I've read. I am really new to all of this (I thought we could only apply in Canada), so I am just trying to figure out our options... which is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. I keep getting different information from different people (government, embassy, advisors, and lawyers). This seems to be one of the best ways to get information since everyone here has gone through the process.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand your frustration. This forum will alleviate some of that as well as the sense of cluelessness you may feel about this process. Although I still think that "the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know" also applies to immigration as experienced on this forum.

I would suggest not doing an inland application. The disadvantages are a much longer processing time, no right of appeal if she is refused PR, and only short trips outside of the country for reasons CIC deems significant enough. She would be able to work, though. I'm not in your shoes, but just learn the differences between inland and outland so you can make the best decision for your case.

If she's able to apply through Buffalo, great. I would just suggest that you really prepare the application meticulously before you put that thing in the mail. I know you must feel so hurried (and maybe also harried) with the situation you're in, but sending in an application that is less than thorough will not do you any favors. Let us know how it goes! :)
gatherroses said:
My lawyer told us that we could chose Buffalo, Paris or Canada since she has been living in Canada for more than one year, and that seems consistent with what I've read. I am really new to all of this (I thought we could only apply in Canada), so I am just trying to figure out our options... which is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. I keep getting different information from different people (government, embassy, advisors, and lawyers). This seems to be one of the best ways to get information since everyone here has gone through the process.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
It sounds like it might be safer to do the non-inland one and wait (plus, after one factors in the "application in principle" times, she could pretty much have her PR card)... It does take a few months, right?

Do you all think it is worth it to hire a lawyer? We're short on cash (notably if she can't work for a few months), but it will be even worse if she gets refused, and sent back to France!!!

And, thanks for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me. This night was not fun at all.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think most people do not employ an attorney or consultant and do just fine. CIC does not treat applications that have been prepared by an attorney more or less seriously than one prepared by a sponsor or applicant. That's up to you though. It normally takes a few months for people to complete an application, because there are several types of documents involved - the police record(s) and medical exam, for example. I honestly think that if you're willing to give the application the detailed attention it deserves, there's no need for a lawyer. You have the right to appeal a refusal if you do an outland application, except if the refusal was on grounds of security, human or international rights violations, or serious criminality. Can I ask why her getting "sent back" to France is so worrisome?
gatherroses said:
It sounds like it might be safer to do the non-inland one and wait (plus, after one factors in the "application in principle" times, she could pretty much have her PR card)... It does take a few months, right?

Do you all think it is worth it to hire a lawyer? We're short on cash (notably if she can't work for a few months), but it will be even worse if she gets refused, and sent back to France!!!

And, thanks for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me. This night was not fun at all.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Ok! Thanks for the advice. The only other three people I know who have gone through this process got a lawyer.

She doesn't want to go back to France because she has established a life here, and we have established a life here together (she expected to stay for 1.5 more years without any trouble from the government up until today). We would also like to remain together.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand. You two sound like a great couple. Best of luck with your immigration journey.
gatherroses said:
Ok! Thanks for the advice. The only other three people I know who have gone through this process got a lawyer.

She doesn't want to go back to France because she has established a life here, and we have established a life here together (she expected to stay for 1.5 more years without any trouble from the government up until today). We would also like to remain together.

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
Tiggilicious said:
The car needs to be present in the US for 3 business days, during the export process (and not taken out of the US during that time)
I guess Im takeing a trip down to Montana when the time comes.

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
ddobro2 said:
I love all this car talk but I would rather be discussing PPRs ;D Are we seriously going on Thursday without a single PPR yet this week? :'(
I like to be informed and have everything done ahead of time thats why I started asking all the questions about importing my vehicle.Since my app went into process I like to be one step ahead.I even contacted the finance company today to talk to them and give them a heads up on what I was doing.Dont get me wrong I would rather be talking PPR's but there hasnt been any.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lol, I completely understand and your posts do others on this thread. That was just me being snarky :p
Calgary-Bound said:
I like to be informed and have everything done ahead of time thats why I started asking all the questions about importing my vehicle.Since my app went into process I like to be one step ahead.I even contacted the finance company today to talk to them and give them a heads up on what I was doing.Dont get me wrong I would rather be talking PPR's but there hasnt been any.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Thank-you so much!!! After spending the last 12 hours on the internet, I *may* have found a class of visa that will get her an open work permit for a year!!! It was tucked away in a corner under some links I've never clicked. I am emailing the embassy for clarification, but it seems like it will work!!!! I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for your support, and I wish you all the best as well. I really appreciate everything you've all done for me tonight. It made this horrible, horrible night more tolerable. I'll be sure to see you around... this is not a journey to be taken without support. =) Hopefully, when I start to understand what is going on, I'll be able to help other people like you've all helped me!

mmshock

Star Member
Jan 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Done....
11-02-2011
Passport Req..
30-08-2011
LANDED..........
08-09-2011
Calgary-Bound said:
I guess Im takeing a trip down to Montana when the time comes.
Perhaps call the border you plan to cross and see what they require. StumpedMom didn't have to worry about the 3 day thing exporting/importing at Detroit/Windsor, but my officer at the Lewiston Bridge was very strict about it. While he was very nice, when I went to get my export stamp he was sure to ask where the car was the day prior. I had proof even if he needed!

I also didn't have to pay the AC tax or give a recall clearance. I had my inspection form ready within 24 hours of importing.....

quagaar145

Jan 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-02-2011
Doc's Request.
12-09-2011
AOR Received.
18-07-2011
File Transfer...
03-03-2011
Med's Done....
24-01-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2011
Finally got an e-cas update today!

"We started processing your application on September 12, 2011.

Medical results have been received."

I am very very happy to hear something. I got my file number from Buffalo back in July only after bugging them through email a couple of times, but since then I have been stuck at "application received."

Hopefully this means someone in Buffalo has woken up this week and we will hear more soon!

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
Tiggilicious said:
The car needs to be present in the US for 3 business days, during the export process (and not taken out of the US during that time)
Depends on the border...both detroit and port huron did not require that, as long as they have the paperwork, they could care less where the car was thats what I was told, our car was not in the US for 3 days, and we had no issues....call the border where you are landing and ask them the requirements...