14-04-2011
Med's Done....
02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
Hi ddobro2,

yes that's correct for the dates, I got that file number when they replied after my enquiry. But since then,
nothing from them, and e-cas still says "application received...". I'm going to contact my MP I guess.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok, well if e-cas has not gone to "in process," you're not technically in process. what is the 7/15 date for AOR based on? e-cas or the email from buffalo?
pcdmontreal said:
Hi ddobro2,

yes that's correct for the dates, I got that file number when they replied after my enquiry. But since then,
nothing from them, and e-cas still says "application received...". I'm going to contact my MP I guess.

pcdmontreal

May 20, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
No AOR
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Done....
02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
The date is based on e-mail from Buffalo after my enquiry. They said we were in process and that e-cas doesn't always reflect what actually happens on files in Buffalo. They also gave me the file number. When I crossed the border the other day with my husband (USA to Canada), the agent checked the system and told us that the file was in process.
So I believe we actually are in process and I don't really rely to what e-cas says anyway

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
pcdmontreal said:
The date is based on e-mail from Buffalo after my enquiry. They said we were in process and that e-cas doesn't always reflect what actually happens on files in Buffalo. They also gave me the file number. When I crossed the border the other day with my husband (USA to Canada), the agent checked the system and told us that the file was in process.
So I believe we actually are in process and I don't really rely to what e-cas says anyway
How did you get a response from Buffalo? I tried contacting them a while ago, and never received a response to my email. I ended up going to the local federal deputy (I'm currently living with my husband in Sherbrooke, QC even though I did the out of country application) in July for help. Buffalo told them at the time that they'd started processing my application on July 1st (though online it says July 13th, which I think is the day they were contacted by the deputy's office) and my file had received a preliminary yes. They claimed they were waiting for an investigation or background check (an enquête in French) from the RCMP and if that checked out then they'd issue my papers. I was told at the time it would take another 1 to 3 mths. I called the deputy's office again a couple of weeks ago at the 3 mth mark and they called Buffalo again. Got essentially the same response (this time they also confirmed that I didn't need to go for an interview) that they're still waiting on a response from the RCMP.

I now have a friend whose husband works for the RCMP. I called him out of curiosity to find out why it would take so long. He claims that the RCMP doesn't do background checks for immigration applications! He's been contacting everyone he can to try and find out who/where/why such an investigation would take place, but so far no one has ever heard of such a background check.

I am so frustrated now. I have no criminal history in the U.S. or in Canada. Even if they did a background check on me it shouldn't take very long, as there is nothing to turn up. Has anyone else heard of this RCMP background check or had this response? If so, do you have any clue why or how long it will take? Thanks!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Usually, if you have not gotten an AOR from Buffalo, which is basically an automated email message confirming they received the file from CPC-M, you can email them and that way "force" an AOR. But if you keep emailing them after that, they will give you the old "don't bother us" response, or at least they have consistently in my experience.

Buffalo has had my file since early June and while I have ordered my GCMS notes (it shows which assessments they have conducted on these notes, including the RCMP check), I haven't gotten in touch with my MP/député, because I'm still well within the 11 month timeline. You have to remember that even though you may feel the process is dragging out, it still completely normal to be waiting if Buffalo received your file in July (I don't know when you filed, you might want to add that info to your signature).

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Usually, if you have not gotten an AOR from Buffalo, which is basically an automated email message confirming they received the file from CPC-M, you can email them and that way "force" an AOR.
Oh sorry, I just signed up today. I filed in February (end of), but because of Quebec's additional steps it didn't get to the federal government until March (which is why I'm writing in this thread).

May I ask what you said in your email that prompted a proper response?

I realize that I'm well within the 11 mth timeline, but since they have already informed the deputy twice now that my file is complete and essentially approved (the deputy's office has confirmed to me that my medical report was approved, there's no need for an interview and my file is complete with an unofficial "yes") as long as nothing funny comes back on the RCMP report you can see how the fact that this report has now taken 4 mths would be frustrating. I think the worst part is that they initially estimated another 1 to 3 mths, which probably was completely inaccurate to begin with. :(

Going to try writing another email now. I haven't written them since July and didn't receive a response at the time.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You filed in February/March and Buffalo only got it in July? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me. I'm in Quebec too, and the CSQ step is not something that really impedes the process......CPC-M forwards your file to Buffalo after the sponsor is approved independently of you applying to MICC for the CSQ.

I simply emailed buffalo-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca and gave them my name, Client ID, etc. and asked them to confirm receipt. Like I said, they are supposed to send AORs so you can "force" one, it's just that's all you'll be able to get out of them.

I really don't know the timeframes they deal with to process files and concerning the different steps (bona fide relationship, medical, security/background, criminal) involved. You might want to order GCMS notes just to satisfy your own curiousity without having to just trust what the MP's office tells you. Or you might get your PPR while you wait for the notes to arrive, which would be nice. But at least you would have them. My point was just that contacting the MP should kind of be done after other steps, in my humble opinion and not to offend any one of the many people on this forum who have contacted their MP ;D. But I'm glad to hear that your MP was relatively helpful. Some are really not. When do your medicals and police clearance expire?

AmericaninQuebec said:
Oh sorry, I just signed up today. I filed in February (end of), but because of Quebec's additional steps it didn't get to the federal government until March (which is why I'm writing in this thread).

May I ask what you said in your email that prompted a proper response?

I realize that I'm well within the 11 mth timeline, but since they have already informed the deputy twice now that my file is complete and essentially approved (the deputy's office has confirmed to me that my medical report was approved, there's no need for an interview and my file is complete with an unofficial "yes") as long as nothing funny comes back on the RCMP report you can see how the fact that this report has now taken 4 mths would be frustrating. I think the worst part is that they initially estimated another 1 to 3 mths, which probably was completely inaccurate to begin with. :(

Going to try writing another email now. I haven't written them since July and didn't receive a response at the time.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
You filed in February/March and Buffalo only got it in July? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me. I'm in Quebec too, and the CSQ step is not something that really impedes the process......CPC-M forwards your file to Buffalo after the sponsor is approved independently of you applying to MICC for the CSQ.
I don't think I clarified properly. My husband received sponsorship approval in March from Quebec and the Federal government. I received my Certificat de selection du Québec shortly thereafter. My application was forwarded to Buffalo in late March. I haven't received anything since, which is why we went to the MP with questions in July. I suppose it depends on the MP, but ours was very happy to contact Buffalo on our behalf (though he is newly elected and looking to garner points with constituents). It was at that time that we were informed via the MP's office that they had started processing my application and after first round review everything was complete and approved as long as my RCMP investigation came back clean. We were informed that the investigation would take between 1 and 3 mths to complete. We're in month 4 now of the wait for the RCMP report, and the only update is that I don't need to go for an interview, hence the frustration.

I'm not worried about my medical or police records expiring, since they were all received and processed on time (and my entry to Canada was just renewed at the border for another 6 mths, so no problems there). I'm simply trying to figure out if anyone has heard of this RCMP investigation being done on their file, and if so how long it has taken them so far. I suppose I will look into getting my GCMS notes about it (this is the first time I've heard of these, so thanks for the heads up).

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh, okay. The reason why I thought it got to Buffalo in July is because you wrote that the MP told you they "began processing it" July 1st and e-cas says "application was received" by the VO July 13th.

When you say you haven't heard anything since Buffalo got the file, that's actually quite normal. You will basically just get that application received update in e-cas, perhaps an AOR from the VO, and then nothing until they issue passport request. Many people have gotten PPR without even being "in process" in e-cas. They simply just go months and months with no news and then Buffalo sends them the PPR. I know it's frustrating, but that's unforch the way that they work.

Only reason I asked about the medicals is that you technically do need to land before they expire, one year after the date of the exam. It looks like you'll be fine though. For the RCMP check, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I believe that if they determined you were in the country long enough, they would ask you to get the check and you'd then go to Commissionaires or somewhere to get the prints for that.

The RCMP
AmericaninQuebec said:
I don't think I clarified properly. My husband received sponsorship approval in March from Quebec and the Federal government. I received my Certificat de selection du Québec shortly thereafter. My application was forwarded to Buffalo in late March. I haven't received anything since, which is why we went to the MP with questions in July. I suppose it depends on the MP, but ours was very happy to contact Buffalo on our behalf (though he is newly elected and looking to garner points with constituents). It was at that time that we were informed via the MP's office that they had started processing my application and after first round review everything was complete and approved as long as my RCMP investigation came back clean. We were informed that the investigation would take between 1 and 3 mths to complete. We're in month 4 now of the wait for the RCMP report, and the only update is that I don't need to go for an interview, hence the frustration.

I'm not worried about my medical or police records expiring, since they were all received and processed on time (and my entry to Canada was just renewed at the border for another 6 mths, so no problems there). I'm simply trying to figure out if anyone has heard of this RCMP investigation being done on their file, and if so how long it has taken them so far. I suppose I will look into getting my GCMS notes about it (this is the first time I've heard of these, so thanks for the heads up).

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Only reason I asked about the medicals is that you technically do need to land before they expire, one year after the date of the exam. It looks like you'll be fine though. For the RCMP check, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I believe that if they determined you were in the country long enough, they would ask you to get the check and you'd then go to Commissionaires or somewhere to get the prints for that.

The RCMP
As I had my initial fingerprints done for my FBI check at the local RCMP headquarters they already have them. Also there has been no request that I do anything whatsoever. Rather I was informed that they requested a check from the RCMP and it was all being handled internally. If that's not the case then they've really botched this one, since I would've gone months ago to have everything done.

As for the medical exam actually that's terrible to hear. I had my medical exam done in Montreal last November. We were delayed sending the application until February thanks to the FBI taking forever to send me my background check. I assume if I get my papers after November of this year then when they send them they'll send paperwork stating that I must go get another exam done to present with my papers when I land? Great. So now on top of all of this I'll likely have to spend another $200 on an unnecessary medical exam, not to mention the gas and time to go into Montreal for it. Yay for the RCMP taking forever to do my investigation! Haha.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've been here since mid August 2010, applied in late April/early May, and I also simply submitted the FBI clearance (and yeah, that thing does take forever, plus I wasted time because my first set of prints came back "illegible" because my fingers were apparently ......whatever). I didn't do it at the local RCMP headquarters, however, and I don't believe that's too common. I think most people go to one of the companies that take fingerprints and sign off on the form before you mail it to Virginia. Anyway, like I said there's a very good chance you won't get any kind of request from the VO and they will handle all the assessments they need to. I know it seems like a long time but you have to remember there are people waiting from December or earlier, and in addition to spousal PR applications, Buffalo handles TRVs and the FSW class PR applications.

Don't worry just yet about the medicals. They may "extend" them (apparently, has been done before but as this thing is a big black box, one can only wonder exactly what goes on in Buffalo). They may also ask for passport sooner precisely because your medicals are set to expire in November. Wouldn't that be nice?

I really think you'll be fine. Order the notes and don't worry so much.

AmericaninQuebec said:
As I had my initial fingerprints done for my FBI check at the local RCMP headquarters they already have them. Also there has been no request that I do anything whatsoever. Rather I was informed that they requested a check from the RCMP and it was all being handled internally. If that's not the case then they've really botched this one, since I would've gone months ago to have everything done.

As for the medical exam actually that's terrible to hear. I had my medical exam done in Montreal last November. We were delayed sending the application until February thanks to the FBI taking forever to send me my background check. I assume if I get my papers after November of this year then when they send them they'll send paperwork stating that I must go get another exam done to present with my papers when I land? Great. So now on top of all of this I'll likely have to spend another $200 on an unnecessary medical exam, not to mention the gas and time to go into Montreal for it. Yay for the RCMP taking forever to do my investigation! Haha.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
I really think you'll be fine. Order the notes and don't worry so much.
Thanks so much for your input today. I am going to fill out the form to order my notes this evening. Then I'm going to have a glass of wine, take a deep breath and try and relax about it all. :)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No worries, glad to help. Have a glass for me, lol. Also, you could post on the Buffalo thread just so everyone has their timelines together and all.
AmericaninQuebec said:
Thanks so much for your input today. I am going to fill out the form to order my notes this evening. Then I'm going to have a glass of wine, take a deep breath and try and relax about it all. :)

pcdmontreal

May 20, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
No AOR
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Done....
02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-12-2011
E-cas update today: "Medical results have been received" !
I'm happy to finally see some movement from Buffalo.
Does it mean we are not far from the end ?

Congrats to all the recent PPRs !

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Likewise for me. To which I responded, "already know that." Gotta love e-cas.....

pcdmontreal said:
E-cas update today: "Medical results have been received" !
I'm happy to finally see some movement from Buffalo.
Does it mean we are not far from the end ?

Congrats to all the recent PPRs !