+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

Mlneron

Jan 11, 2013
Hi everyone,

We are going to apply for the sponsorship common-law partner OUTSIDE of Canada. My partner (Australian) is currently living with me in Canada on a visitor VISA.

We have friends who had just been asked to supply more info about living together consecutively for 12 months. We are now concerned because we had to separate for 5 months due to Visa issues. We have now been living together for 8 months consecutive and have a lease together for an extra 7 months in Canada.

Even if we have been apart is our relationship considered consecutive?

We have proves that we were in touch on that 5 months apart.

Thanks,

Marie-Lou

marcopolocan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Guys,

I haven't been around for a bit........we have our COPR in our hot little hands (as of March 14th) and planning the trip to the border in a couple of days, weather permitting.

Hope everyone is doing well with their journey's.

Cheers

Canstralian/Oznadian

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-06-2012
Med's Done....
09-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2013, arrived in Canada 13-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
Congrats Marcopolocan, so happy for you!! We're still waiting for the PPR.......6 days will be a year since we submitted. :(

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Mlneron said:
Hi everyone,

We are going to apply for the sponsorship common-law partner OUTSIDE of Canada. My partner (Australian) is currently living with me in Canada on a visitor VISA.

We have friends who had just been asked to supply more info about living together consecutively for 12 months. We are now concerned because we had to separate for 5 months due to Visa issues. We have now been living together for 8 months consecutive and have a lease together for an extra 7 months in Canada.

Even if we have been apart is our relationship considered consecutive?

We have proves that we were in touch on that 5 months apart.

Thanks,

Marie-Lou
Hi There,
In order to be considered common-law you have to live together for 12 months consecutively. Otherwise, you'd have to be married to apply for spousal sponsorship.
Have you been living together for more than a year elsewhere? The only catch is that I think you'd have to be common-law at the time of the application.
There is an option to do conjugal partner applications, but I'm pretty sure we don't qualify for this as we're all from commonwealth countries and free to visit etc. My understanding is that its more for places that have civil unrest, travel restrictions, etc.
Sorry if that's not great news. Just wanted to try and give some info.
Good luck!

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Canstralian/Oznadian said:
Congrats Marcopolocan, so happy for you!! We're still waiting for the PPR.......6 days will be a year since we submitted. :(
Wow, its taking a long time for you! I'm concerned this will happen for us too as we had delays in stage 1. Have you heard anything about extending the medical? Looks like yours (or your partners) medical expired in Jan. I'm curious about how they handle this.

Canstralian/Oznadian

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-06-2012
Med's Done....
09-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2013, arrived in Canada 13-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
nzandcanada said:
Wow, its taking a long time for you! I'm concerned this will happen for us too as we had delays in stage 1. Have you heard anything about extending the medical? Looks like yours (or your partners) medical expired in Jan. I'm curious about how they handle this.

We haven't heard anything about extending the medical, we're keeping our fingers crossed that they are extending it. We're very frustrated with the length of time we've waited, nobody has taken as long as us. My poor hubby is bored beyond belief and his spirits aren't too high at present. :(

nzandcanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
No AOR received
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
19-10-2012
Canstralian/Oznadian said:
We haven't heard anything about extending the medical, we're keeping our fingers crossed that they are extending it. We're very frustrated with the length of time we've waited, nobody has taken as long as us. My poor hubby is bored beyond belief and his spirits aren't too high at present. :(
So sorry to hear that! Must be frustrating! Will you try to contact them soon? I think the medicals exp is probably a good question at this point... and you are nearly at their 9 months mark.
All the best!

5harkey

Mar 22, 2013
Wow freezing_aussie, that spreadsheet you have put together is a great idea.

At the end of the month I will have been here in Calgary for 1 year, in the next month or so, I will be putting together my paperwork to apply outland via Mississauga to Sydney. I have only just found out about this process in the past week and thought that because I was living in Canada I can only apply through here. The difference in waiting periods for inland/outland is absolutely ridiculous!

My girlfriend and I are extremely excited to begin the process. Any tips?

freezing_aussie

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
10-10-2012
Med's Done....
16-07-2012
Passport Req..
10-04-2013
Oh, I cannot take any credit for the spreadsheet. It was rachiy who set it up. However, now that she is on the other side of the process, rachiy understandably does not hang out here so much anymore.

I don't know what tips to give you. If you have any questions, just ask, and I and the other forumites will help out if we can. My application is still in process so I'm not yet that confident that how I put my application together is up to scratch. Read through this thread, as well as the other Oz thread for more helpful info: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/australian-or-nz-applicants-share-timeline-here-t105255.0.html
Anything that's not clear, just ask.

The only tip I can think of straight away is to be careful about ordering the required paperwork too far ahead of time before you plan to submit. I had to order the police report from Australia twice because it expired before we had a chance to pull it all together. That was a complete pain!

BCRain

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Syndey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-07-2012
So finally some news on our application. We receiving an email last night asking for a UK police Check. We are so confused though because she's never lived in the uk. She has a British passport through her parents citizenship and travelled around the country for 6 moths once, but never had a bank account or permanent address or anything like that there. So we are not sure why they are asking for it other than she was once in the country for 6 consecutive months...anyone have thoughts??
We were going to call the office to clarify this. Has anyone called the office before? Is it just the number in the email signature?

Any insight would be appreciated.

crassy

Sep 15, 2011
Niagara Falls
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2012
AOR Received.
6-11-2012
File Transfer...
6-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2013
LANDED..........
26-07-2013
BCRain said:
So finally some news on our application. We receiving an email last night asking for a UK police Check. We are so confused though because she's never lived in the uk. She has a British passport through her parents citizenship and travelled around the country for 6 moths once, but never had a bank account or permanent address or anything like that there. So we are not sure why they are asking for it other than she was once in the country for 6 consecutive months...anyone have thoughts??
We were going to call the office to clarify this. Has anyone called the office before? Is it just the number in the email signature?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Unfortunately because she was there for 6 consecutive months she is required to obtain a police certificate. It is stated on the CIC website and on the immigration forms.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

One needn't have had a bank account and address, it is just a matter of if you were in a country for the six consecutive months after turning 18. So yes, to qualify for PR in Canada she must obtain this police clearance. She can do so via the ACPO Criminal Records Office.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/united-kingdom.asp

matthew_fitzy

Star Member
Aug 26, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2012
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
26-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-03-2013
Well I haven't been back here in about two weeks, and so much has progressed since! I got back into the spreadsheet to see so many people around me with updates, so I looked on ecas and saw that my application has gone to in process on March 12!

So I have settled in Kelowna, we landed on the 10th March, no issues getting through customs on my working holiday visa and my wife with our goods to follow list. I am sensing a border crossing soon!

To those who have scanned and emailed their passports, did you send the attachment in a reply email to the one that sends you the PPR in the first place, or a specific email address?

BCRain

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Syndey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-07-2012
crassy said:
Unfortunately because she was there for 6 consecutive months she is required to obtain a police certificate. It is stated on the CIC website and on the immigration forms.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

One needn't have had a bank account and address, it is just a matter of if you were in a country for the six consecutive months after turning 18. So yes, to qualify for PR in Canada she must obtain this police clearance. She can do so via the ACPO Criminal Records Office.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/united-kingdom.asp
Thanks for your quick reply!
That's what I thought might be the case. It's just difficult as for the police check it asks for your last address in the UK which was a hotel/hostel, haha so that should be interesting!

matthew_fitzy

Star Member
Aug 26, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2012
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
26-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-04-2013
LANDED..........
10-03-2013
Spoke too soon. PPR today 8)

Those who submitted by email, how did you go about this? The attachment I received does not list email as an option.