Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
Tuggie said:
Hi everyone,

I am very new to this forum. The Canadian immigration lawyer that my Canadian husband and I (an American) hired to help us file our spousal application, supposedly mailed our application to Vegreville as I have been living and working in Canada since July 2008 on a work permit.

I filed a Humanitarian application last year and it was denied in March 2010 (they said I didn't have enough reasons to qualify under H&C and that I should apply under Skilled Worker -- at the time, we didn't think my husband could sponsor me because of past arrears for child support).

Anyway, I check the CIC website weekly and all that shows up is the decision that was made in March 2010 when they denied my H&C request. There is NOTHING on there regarding my current application.

I mailed a request for CAIPS notes this week. My lawyer said I could be waiting up to another month before my file even gets opened at Vegreville. Is this normal? They would have received the file in late June and it is already mid-October. 3.5 months seems like a very long time for a file to just sit there unopened.

Any advice? Anyone else had to deal with Vegreville? What was your wait time?

Thanks!
Tuggie
Any kind of Inland application takes much longer than an Outland application...You would have been better not to get a lawyer..unless you have a very complex case involving past criminal activities or being barred from Canada etc..You would also have been better to apply Outland Via Buffalo you could have almost had PR by now!

The fact that your Husband has past arrears for child support has no bearing on your application at all...my Husband is still paying child support arrears and been discharged from Bankruptcy and he was approved to sponsor me. We filed spouse outland via London UK (application went to Mississauga) in June and I landed 2 weeks ago! (I have lived in Canada as a Visitor for 5 years and was in Canada at the time of my application)

It is normal to wait 8-9 months Inland Via Vegreville to get sponsorship approved!

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
I was talking to immigration service yesterday. I wanted to check my application status because I've applied papers in June. Officer was surprised and stressed that they just opened files they received this January 2010 and added that it usually takes 8 months and they will send me mail when they open my file.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
Lana said:
I was talking to immigration service yesterday. I wanted to check my application status because I've applied papers in June. Officer was surprised and stressed that they just opened files they received this January 2010 and added that it usually takes 8 months and they will send me mail when they open my file.
I filled out the inland application and thankfully just before I was about to mail my application I found out that I can be in Canada and apply Outland. I am so thankful I applied outland I don't think I would have been able to cope with all the waiting for the Inland App...its hard enough as it is!

If you are from Nairobi I would recommend Inland as their outland processing time is 13 - 25 months, but for all other visa offices there is no advantage of Inland time wise...perhaps people from Visa exempt countries would find Inland a benefit...but the only problem with Inland is there is NO right of appeal, If your application is denied you have to re-apply all over again..

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
britincanada said:
I filled out the inland application and thankfully just before I was about to mail my application I found out that I can be in Canada and apply Outland. I am so thankful I applied outland I don't think I would have been able to cope with all the waiting for the Inland App...its hard enough as it is!

If you are from Nairobi I would recommend Inland as their outland processing time is 13 - 25 months, but for all other visa offices there is no advantage of Inland time wise...perhaps people from Visa exempt countries would find Inland a benefit...but the only problem with Inland is there is NO right of appeal, If your application is denied you have to re-apply all over again..
Alas, but I was born in Russia. So I need to stay in Canada and wait the decision...

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
Ahh I see your point Lana..I think it all depends on your situation and your country of origin as to which option you choose..

Sadly many people consult Immigration Lawyers and CIC on which option is best and these people usually end up applying Inland because they were told to do so without being told they Can apply outland and that they have no right of appeal whilst living and working in Canada...this results in more costs than necessary!

Tuggie

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 6, 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Hi,

Thank you both so much for your replies. Although it sounds like I will be waiting a much longer time than I expected, at least I know that this is "normal" for Vegreville.

Lana,
Hopefully, you and I will both receive positive replies around the same time ... unfortunately not until next February/March, but better later than never.

Thanks again.

Tuggie

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, another update from me and my husband. We drove to Buffalo today to obtain my husband's PR. It was uneventful until we actually got to the 30th floor. However, the weather was miserable!!!! Lots of rain. We were there first (or maybe second) but decided to hang out at Timmy's--not a good idea because when we went back at the bottom of the escalator (we were told to wait there), there was a number of people waiting. So my advice is get your coffee stand at the bottom of the escalator to form a line (hopefully you are first). The website said they open at 8am-wrong. We were told that the office will open at 7:30 am and just needed to wait, again, at the bottom of the escalator. Anyway, when we came back we were 5th in line, not so bad I guess. The security came and got us to go to the security desk. We we asked for our passport-even the ones that were there to accompany the applicant. We were given a visitors pass (sticker with info) told to go to the elevators, press the button with the Canadian Flag (30th). When we got there, another security. He asked if we were there for PR, we said yes, he told us to form a line on the right to go to booth# 5 and to turn off our cell phones. We were second in line for PR-the first 3 people were there for visitor/worker/student permit. When it was our turn to go to booth, we gave them everything that was asked plus an additional information they were asking from the email--a copy of our marriage certificate. The lady also said that my husband is visitor number 9, as per the sticker and it will take about 1 hour, 2 the latest and we can have a sit, they will call his number. We did not submit the marriage cert with the application because we recently got married and we were told to wait 12 weeks to request. I just put a note on the application explaining exactly that with a copy of Record of Solemnization of Marriage. We got the marriage certificate 12 weeks after our wedding but since they never asked for it, not until the PPR via e-mail, I never really sent it (I should've!). Moving along, after about 1 hour or so the person before us was called and given her PR. We were excited because we knew we were next. However, they called 5 more people--people after us! We got worried at this point as we did not know what had happened but we did not fuss about it or even asked the lady what happened or why the other people were processed first before us. We figured, it must have been the marriage cert was missing and has to go through its own process and that's why I said I should've sent it as soon as a received it. We waited another hour listening to more people after us being called for their PR. There were a lot of people in that room because it was not only for PR but for all sort of immigration status I supposed. All seats have been taken and some were standing waiting while people are standing in line (2 lines, 1 PR, 1 other). When they were giving out visitors number, we heard more than 100 (119?) but not sure if that was the number of people that was inside of that room but it was full, filled and hot. Around 10:15, the lady in booth 5 finally finished the line up for that booth. She then left, and took some "processed" PR back with her (they were in a green folder). And as soon as she sat down she called #9 and we just jumped up off our sit. We were given directions, told to make sure that name, date of birth, etc is correct on the landing papers. Make sure you read the letter, though for instructions.

We went shopping after since we know the area quiet well :). We had lunch at Walden Galleria and went to the outlet mall near Lewiston Bridge/Border. We drove to the border at 2 pm-no wait/line up and the IO asked us a bunch of question. We were given a yellow paper and were told to go to the Immigration Office. There were a few people waiting in line, including a family who was trying to land as well. We were there for maybe 15 minutes including wait time. It is true, the women did the paperwork, while the guys stand around waiting for more people with yellow slip to show up and I think they were hoping they would have to search those people to keep them busy. LOL. My husband was given a bunch of information ie. how to apply for SIN, etc. was asked a few confirming question about his dual citizenship but nothing major. The IO congratulated him and actually said "Welcome to Canada".

Let me know if you have any additional question or clarification. If I know the answer, I will share.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
jancath: Congratulations :D :D :D Sounds like an eventful day getting the Visa. But Glad your Husband had a smooth landing..I also go the " Welcome to Canada" line

midnightmav

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
04-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Congratulations jancath410! ;) What a relief to be done! I just got an email request for more documents :( more time wasting. Getting fingerprints is a real hassle here, so it's taking some time. I'm still hoping for Christmas though!

jancath410

Aug 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
midnightmav said:
Congratulations jancath410! ;) What a relief to be done! I just got an email request for more documents :( more time wasting. Getting fingerprints is a real hassle here, so it's taking some time. I'm still hoping for Christmas though!
A relief indeed! Give them everything they need as soon as you can. Sydney is well known for fast processing so there's a good chance you are done before Christmas.

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
Tuggie said:
Hi,

Thank you both so much for your replies. Although it sounds like I will be waiting a much longer time than I expected, at least I know that this is "normal" for Vegreville.

Lana,
Hopefully, you and I will both receive positive replies around the same time ... unfortunately not until next February/March, but better later than never.

Thanks again.

Tuggie
Thanks for support, you and britincanada and everybody!
Lets hope we will receive PR as soon as possible!

maru

Aug 3, 2010
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-07-2010
Passport Req..
18-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2010
My wife received her passport with visa inside today. It states that the visa was approved on Sep 27, mailed out on Oct 8 and arrived locally on Oct 11. She was away and couldn't take delivery until today.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED