+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Those who plan to attend a DLI in Nova scotia, how are you planning to travel once you have your visa?

m7md

Sep 27, 2020
Those who plan to attend a DLI in Nova scotia (like Acadia and Dalhousie), how are you planning to travel once you have your visa?
Halifax airport is not open for incoming international flights. That means we have to land in and get a connecting flight from Montreal or Toronto to Halifax. We will probably have to claim our luggage and check them in to the flight to Halifax and go through customs and immigration, any idea how long that will take?
Seems like a hassle.

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
Those who plan to attend a DLI in Nova scotia (like Acadia and Dalhousie), how are you planning to travel once you have your visa?
Halifax airport is not open for incoming international flights. That means we have to land in and get a connecting flight from Montreal or Toronto to Halifax. We will probably have to claim our luggage and check them in to the flight to Halifax and go through customs and immigration, any idea how long that will take?
Seems like a hassle.
Planing to swim across the pacific ocean to reach Canada :)
Jokes aside, most of us will have to take a connecting flight from Montreal or Toronto anyways. You don't need to worry about your baggage. If you book a flight to Halifax it will be a connecting flight and your bags will automatically be transferred to the other plane (at least I hope it does)

Dude moving to another country isn't like going to the mall. Of course, it's a hassle but nonetheless, there is nothing to worry about. Immigration could take anywhere from minutes to hours depending on the rush.
Make sure to read the guidelines of IRCC before traveling to Canada. I think they require you to download an app and fill in the details before you board your flight to Canada. Whatever it is just make sure to read the news and stay updated before traveling.

m7md

Sep 27, 2020
If you book a flight to Halifax it will be a connecting flight and your bags will automatically be transferred to the other plane (at least I hope it does)
Unfortunately that is not true. The first international point of entry is where you have to go through the customs and immigration, therefore you will have to claim your luggage and check them again. I want to plan now so that I am not surprised later. The layover could be not enough time to go through customs, immigration and luggage claim and check-in. Makes me wonder, swimming the pacific might be a less hectic option...

BIG_T

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
07-08-2020
Unfortunately that is not true. The first international point of entry is where you have to go through the customs and immigration, therefore you will have to claim your luggage and check them again. I want to plan now so that I am not surprised later. The layover could be not enough time to go through customs, immigration and luggage claim and check-in. Makes me wonder, swimming the pacific might be a less hectic option...
As long as you have 2 hours I guess it's fine. If you are in a hurry you could always speak to the security and tell them you have a connecting flight departing soon. I am sure they will help you out. Try to find a connecting flight with at least 4 hours in transit if you are required to collect your baggage but I think it will be transferred to another plane, you have to talk to the airliner regarding this

m7md

Sep 27, 2020
As long as you have 2 hours I guess it's fine. If you are in a hurry you could always speak to the security and tell them you have a connecting flight departing soon. I am sure they will help you out. Try to find a connecting flight with at least 4 hours in transit if you are required to collect your baggage but I think it will be transferred to another plane, you have to talk to the airliner regarding this
Thanks. The flight I am looking at has 3 hours transit. I just confirmed with the airline that I will need to reclaim my luggage in the first port of entry and them recheck them again. Will look into flights with more transit hours.

m7md

Sep 27, 2020
What do you think is a reasonable price
Totally depends on the route. From MCT to YHZ I have seen from $900 to $1150 USD. studentuniverse.com has good prices. A flight from MCT to YHZ from Qatar Airways website costs $1000 USD while on student universe, the exact same flight costs $846 USD.

spoke with someone who went recently,
That is very comforting, thank you. Was it their first time going to Canada?

Last edited:

luciapaula

Aug 11, 2020
Last year I went to Halifax from Sao Paulo with connection in Orlando. Next time, I will try the same route.

m7md

Sep 27, 2020
Last year I went to Halifax from Sao Paulo with connection in Orlando. Next time, I will try the same route.
That is not possible currently.

No international flights fly to Halifax now. You have to land in Toronto or Montreal first then from there to Halifax.
This is the email I got from Halifax Airport, "At the beginning of the pandemic, on March 18, 2020, the Canadian Government instructed airlines to redirect international passenger flights to four Canadian airports (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary). These four major hubs continue to be the only international landings points in Canada until further notice. I’m afraid no date has been set for the return of international flights to other airports including Halifax".

luciapaula

Aug 11, 2020
That is not possible currently.

No international flights fly to Halifax now. You have to land in Toronto or Montreal first then from there to Halifax.
This is the email I got from Halifax Airport, "At the beginning of the pandemic, on March 18, 2020, the Canadian Government instructed airlines to redirect international passenger flights to four Canadian airports (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary). These four major hubs continue to be the only international landings points in Canada until further notice. I’m afraid no date has been set for the return of international flights to other airports including Halifax".
That's why I'm going to stay right here in Brazil until next July.

Worthy

Oct 21, 2020
Just wondering if anyone has traveled to Nova Scotia after DLI approval, which port of entry did you receive your study permit?