+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This

yata520

Oct 9, 2013
MofC2014 said:
Rob is totally right. My husband is a non resident and I called CRA and they told me to input SIN # 999-999-999 if doing online taxes. Which helps me a lot since I will get credit as his income is 0.
okok thank you so much Rob and Mofc u guys save me ~ i was worry so much :D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MofC2014 said:
Rob is totally right. My husband is a non resident and I called CRA and they told me to input SIN # 999-999-999 if doing online taxes. Which helps me a lot since I will get credit as his income is 0.
Just keep in mind that in order to claim the tax credit, it's expected that you are actually supporting your non-resident spouse since their world income is 0. So if not living together then if you are ever audited by CRA, they will expect you to show things like: "receipts for post office or bank money orders, cancelled cheques that were payable to and negotiated by the spouse, child or grandchild, or receipts from private agencies established for the purpose of transferring money or goods to residents of other countries."

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Wow this post escalated fast. He changed his status in his CRA (what ever its called) as soon as we became common law partners. I didn't know what to do with the SIN numbers so I gave him my SSN figuring it had to be the same thing right? I will ask him what he did when I talk to him next.

On one of my visitor records I kept the address attached to it so In case I needed something like that I would have it on there. I will make sure to get his crap stuff proving that he switched to common law. Wouldn't that be his option C print out??????

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DarkDragons91 said:
Wow this post escalated fast. He changed his status in his CRA (what ever its called) as soon as we became common law partners. I didn't know what to do with the SIN numbers so I gave him my SSN figuring it had to be the same thing right? I will ask him what he did when I talk to him next.

On one of my visitor records I kept the address attached to it so In case I needed something like that I would have it on there. I will make sure to get his crap stuff proving that he switched to common law. Wouldn't that be his option C print out??????
If he gets his Option C or Notice of Assessment for the 2013 tax year BEFORE you submit your app, then it will show the new marital status. However depending when he does taxes, that might not be available at the time you apply.

CRA has an online account service called "my account" http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/myccnt/menu-eng.html
If he creates and account here and logs in, you can simply access the "marital status" section, and print off the page that shows common-law status and date it became effective.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
DarkDragons91 said:

No, your SS# is not the same as a SIN. Make sure he doesn't try to use your SS#. They kind of look the same, but definitely are not.

@Rice-Racer: On the upside of even having to continue filing taxes to the US you can/do get credit for taxes paid into Canada. The tax base is quite a bit higher here than in the US so the odds of your wife having to pay anyting to the US in taxes is slim to none. She will likely make funny faces at you when you talk about filing separate tax forms and such here because in the states you just don't do that, at least not if you want the credits and such. Tax stuff is a LOT different to anything she knows from home.

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Alright I will make sure he sends his option C and the print out of our status. Thank you very much. I will try to send it all as soon as possible. I cant take texts off my phone but I think he can. He got a new Iphone so hopefully. Trying to get my facebook stuff now too. Its taking awhile.... I haven't gotten it yet and I downloaded it yesterday.

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
remeds: Oct 15, 2013
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
I love reading all this tax chatter as I went through this in 2013. I moved back to Canada from the US with my Japanese spouse in July, 2012. I made sure to move to Canada in July to avoid the 188 day rule and potentially have to pay Canadian taxes on my US earnings. This turned out to be a smart move. While living in the US we applied for a TTN (Temporary Tax Number) and I was able to claim the full tax benefits of being married.

It works the same way in Canada although there is no joint income tax filing. I hired a tax adviser for the first time in my life and spent a lot of time on the phone with the CRA's Winnipeg Tax Office to get the correct information on how to handle this situation. I was advised to file an income tax return for my wife in Canada (international tax office - Ottawa) leaving the SIN area blank but indicating she was married to me and obviously including my SIN. We reported her world income as zero. At the same time we applied for the Child tax credit under my wife's name, again with no SIN. The Winnipeg Tax office assigned a temporary tax number to my wife which is used in place of a SIN. The only difference is the number starts with "O" The international tax office connected the two files and used the TTN to complete my wife's income tax return. Apparently it's easier to get a TTN through your regional tax office. Because we were in Canada for less than 188 days my US earnings did not affect my Canadian income and we received a nice refund. In addition CTC was paid back to the time we entered Canada and we received another nice cheque. (The benefits calculation is based on World Family Income) My wife still has no SIN as we wait out her visa processing but she receives a monthly deposit for our Child Tax Credit. Once she gets her PR status we will apply for a SIN and inform CRA. I will be using her TTN to file our 2013 tax returns. The only downside is the International Tax office takes months to process tax returns as they only accept paper returns.

Scosan

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have deleted my post and will in due course write it again as a new topic in another section of the forum

DarkDragons91

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
Alright so, Here is a new update on my situation. I went to do my medical exam thinking that they would give me all the information. No, they sent it up to canada already and it has been submitted. I, however, have not even began to send all my forums as the money issue keeps getting in the way. I am still trying to get my FBI background check, they keep sending it back because my fingerprints are messed up.

I have everything else though. All my documents, some proof such as our joint bank account, receipt for a apple laptop I just bought him, some pictures of us together and some letters from friends and family. The facebook thing flopped because for some reason it wont load on my laptop. I'm doing the best I can with evidence. I have $550 to start the process but will I need to pay the 4 hundred something for the medical and fbi background check also sense the medical got sent in?