Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DarkDragons91 said:
Dang, I should of done my medical in canada!!!! DX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYWHO,

I have all the flight papers, my visitor papers to show I lived there a whole year. I also have a letter from his mother (who we lived with) stating that I was at her home for a whole year. I also have a letter from my mother stating when he visited and when I left.

We have a joint bank account but that is it, as we don't pay rent or any bills.
Does the joint bank account clearly show both your names, and the common address you lived at?
Visitor papers will just show you lived in Canada, I don't think they show what address you lived at.
If you had ANY mail ever delivered to that address in Canada, a copy of that mail should also be included as well.
Also for the 2013 tax year, your spouse needs to change his status with CRA to "common-law", and file taxes with you as his dependent. Once he makes the marital status change (he should have done it the same month you reached 12 months), then can print off the page from online account that shows this. Its another good proof to have.

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Does the joint bank account clearly show both your names, and the common address you lived at?
Visitor papers will just show you lived in Canada, I don't think they show what address you lived at.
If you had ANY mail ever delivered to that address in Canada, a copy of that mail should also be included as well.
Also for the 2013 tax year, your spouse needs to change his status with CRA to "common-law", and file taxes with you as his dependent. Once he makes the marital status change (he should have done it the same month you reached 12 months), then can print off the page from online account that shows this. Its another good proof to have.
I'm not sure if legally she can be claimed with Revenue Canada, since she doesn't have a SIN, any form of legal "residency" in Canada. I would be careful with that. Also, any letters from anyone, should be notarized, just again, validate the proof.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
jboo said:
How can I pull the text messages from my iPhone?
I used http://www.copytrans.net/support/copytrans-control-center/ . I downloaded it. Then when I used the program you open "Copy Trans Contacts" when you phone is connected. It can take some time to load it all. I think about 20-25 minutes but I had a TON of messages. Once all loaded you will be able to see all your contacts and ALL your conversations from your iphone on your computer. There will be a little box with a check mark in it, so if you don't want that part to show when when you print then you uncheck the box. And then you just print it. I think you get 10 free uses with it without having to buy the program. I didn't buy it. I printed all our text history and my text history with his parents and included it in the application

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rice-racer said:
I'm not sure if legally she can be claimed with Revenue Canada, since she doesn't have a SIN, any form of legal "residency" in Canada. I would be careful with that. Also, any letters from anyone, should be notarized, just again, validate the proof.
For the sponsor, a common-law spouse MUST be claimed as a spouse for tax purposes. To not do so and to file as single when you actually have a spouse, is considered tax fraud. It doesn't matter if the spouse is a non-resident or where in the world they are living. A SIN doesn't need to be entered when indicating a dependent or spouse.

Testimonial letters can be notarized, but it's not mandatory. A letter can be made official looking by having the writer include their full name, business title (if applicable), address, email and phone number.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
For the sponsor, a common-law spouse MUST be claimed as a spouse for tax purposes. To not do so and to file as single when you actually have a spouse, is considered tax fraud. It doesn't matter if the spouse is a non-resident or where in the world they are living. A SIN doesn't need to be entered when indicating a dependent or spouse.

Testimonial letters can be notarized, but it's not mandatory. A letter can be made official looking by having the writer include their full name, business title (if applicable), address, email and phone number.

Technically, they are not considered spouses to CRA (and likely the IRS for her):
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/prsnl-nf/mrtl-eng.html

The sponsor also has to show her world-wide income.

Is this limited to the sponsor, or does the applicant also need to declare her common-law partner on her US tax return?

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Ponga said:
Technically, they are not considered spouses to CRA (and likely the IRS for her):
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/prsnl-nf/mrtl-eng.html

The sponsor also has to show her world-wide income.

Is this limited to the sponsor, or does the applicant also need to declare her common-law partner on her US tax return?
This true, as I already said. You can't make a "claim" for a common law, or anyone, unless they are registered in the system, that means a SIN. She is NOT a PR here, no ties. And as mentioned, she can't claim him on the US side, otherwise I could have in my case, but our tax people said no, and you don't want to get into that, unless absolutely necessary,such as when my wife moves here and starts working. She HAS to report to the IRS, only country in the world that keeps tabs on money earned outside of the country once settled anywhere else, all because the US bases their tax on having US citizenship.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
Spouse or common-law is just semantics. To the CRA, they are treated the same for tax purposes.

No idea how the US tax system works!

rice-racer said:
This true, as I already said. You can't make a "claim" for a common law, or anyone, unless they are registered in the system, that means a SIN. She is NOT a PR here, no ties. And as mentioned, she can't claim him on the US side, otherwise I could have in my case, but our tax people said no, and you don't want to get into that, unless absolutely necessary,such as when my wife moves here and starts working. She HAS to report to the IRS, only country in the world that keeps tabs on money earned outside of the country once settled anywhere else, all because the US bases their tax on having US citizenship.
That is completely false. A Canadian sponsor can make claims for non-residents partners with no SIN, and if you file with CRA as single even though you are married or common-law to someone living outside of Canada, you are committing tax fraud.

The sponsor needs to enter their spouse/common-law partners "world" income earned in whatever country they are in, and that is used for family income and tax credit purposes.

The applicant/non-resident, will just file taxes in their own country.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rice-racer said:
I guess we have a difference of opinion (shocking, isn't it?). My sponsor is a Canadian citizen and she has to report my world-wide income on her Canadian tax form, even though I do not have a SIN, yet.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
Ponga said:
I guess we have a difference of opinion (shocking, isn't it?). My sponsor is a Canadian citizen and she has to report my world-wide income on her Canadian tax form, even though I do not have a SIN, yet.
This was similar to my experience. My husband got a SIN number in April 2012 but when we filed taxes in 2013 he had to claim his world wide income from Jan-April and I had to claim this amount as well on the spouse side.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Spouse or common-law is just semantics.
FYI, it's not semantics in the insurance world. My partner had to change me from spouse to CL partner as a beneficiary, since we are not married.

Personally, I think the word spouse should be reserved for those that are married.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
FYI, it's not semantics in the insurance world. My partner had to change me from spouse to CL partner as a beneficiary, since we are not married.
Sorry i mean it's semantics in the terms of having a spouse/partner/common-law, and requirement to list them under your martial status for the CRA.

Every province then has their own laws about common-law, and what benefits/rights they get in general similar to a married couple.

yata520

Oct 9, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Spouse or common-law is just semantics. To the CRA, they are treated the same for tax purposes.

That is completely false. A Canadian sponsor can make claims for non-residents partners with no SIN, and if you file with CRA as single even though you are married or common-law to someone living outside of Canada, you are committing tax fraud.

The sponsor needs to enter their spouse/common-law partners "world" income earned in whatever country they are in, and that is used for family income and tax credit purposes.

sorry got question here ~ if my partner need to put me under his tax claim but i don't have status in canada , do i need some tax number to provide ? or he just have to put n/a ?

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Rob_TO said:

"No idea how the US tax system works" ? Of course you claim married with CRA, you just are NOT going to claim anyone as a dependent not living here and expect $$ from it, THAT would be fraud. CRA wants information, but the IRS wants your $$ from Canada, even as a PR, as long as you have US citizenship, you can be on the hook to pay, if you make enough in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
yata520 said:
sorry got question here ~ if my partner need to put me under his tax claim but i don't have status in canada , do i need some tax number to provide ? or he just have to put n/a ?
When your sponsor is entering in your information, where they ask for SIN you can enter in 000-000-000. This indicates the spouse/partner does not have work status in Canada, or does not live here.

rice-racer said:
"No idea how the US tax system works" ? Of course you claim married with CRA, you just are NOT going to claim anyone as a dependent not living here and expect $$ from it, THAT would be fraud.
No, you are fully allowed to claim non-resident spouses. You can enter in their foreign income, and CRA will use that to calculate your total family income. If they don't make any money in their home country, you will get a tax credit for them (via the "spouse or common-law partner amount). Whoever told you that was fraud or whoever gave you your info, is completely wrong and doesn't understand the tax system very well for non-residents.

Read here for some more info: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it513r/it513r-e.html#P178_25861
¶ 35. In order for an individual to claim the spousal tax credit for a non-resident spouse, or the dependant tax credit for a non-resident child or grandchild of the individual or the individual's spouse, it is necessary that such non-resident person be supported by or be dependent for support on the individual... etc etc

http://www.howlandtax.com/articles/nonresident-spouse.htm
You can claim the spousal amount on Line 303 of Schedule 1 for a non-resident spouse, if your spouse depends on you for support and his/her net income is low enough.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Rob is totally right. My husband is a non resident and I called CRA and they told me to input SIN # 999-999-999 if doing online taxes. Which helps me a lot since I will get credit as his income is 0.