+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things To Know Before You Go To Canada...really?

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I might be a bit biased but I've just got home from a long weekend in Jasper so I'm still on a fresh air/great scenery high!!

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
If you're coming to Canada, and you're a guy, be prepared to get into camping / fishing / hiking / like trucks, engines, tools, etc otherwise you may not have much to talk about!

hmm gonna have to let my hubby know he needs to learn one of these at least, otherwise he isnt canadian ::)

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
Definitely, its really is great to have different perspectives!
You're not the first person to say that. Yes there's lots of rudeness, etc in the UK and in fact, everywhere. But PROPORTIONALLY I find Canada to be worse.
I lived in London for 8 years and I did not find that, although like you said, I heard that from other people. Especially North Americans. There is surely some degree of incompatibility between North America and the UK though, as I've heard many people from one group to find the other more friendly and vice-versa.
I personally put that down to individual expectation and culture too. My Canadian wife found Brits difficult and unfriendly at first, but later she realized it was because SHE was being Canadian about the way of approaching Brits. Equally we have many British friend that come to Canada and find people way friendlier than in the UK, I explain that by suggesting Canadians are more APPROACHABLE, in that, they more easily will tak to strangers in grocery stores, public places, etc..
That is a TYPE of friendliness not found in the UK (as much).
But it stays at the level, where I think you're more likely to carry out a deeper conversation with a stranger in the UK.
In other words, if you consider talking for a few seconds about the weather type of thing, then Canadians are way friendlier!

Note, all my sharing of Canada is 100% B.C.
I do hear LOTS of good reports about Eastern Canada, and we are planning a trip there!
Maybe I will change my mind on a lot of it!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
AndreUK said:
- If you're coming to Canada, and you're a guy, be prepared to get into camping / fishing / hiking / like trucks, engines, tools, etc otherwise you may not have much to talk about! ;D
My father, as well as most of my male Canadian friends are not into any of: camping, fishing, hiking, trucks, engines, or tools. He has many friends to talk about many things to. I think you really need to start hanging around different places if most of the people you know are rude and uneducated.

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
Man - that's a high worth extending as long as possible!
Try Banff too!
Canooknic said:
I might be a bit biased but I've just got home from a long weekend in Jasper so I'm still on a fresh air/great scenery high!!

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
We were there about 4 weeks ago....when the weather was amazing. We couldn't go this time because of work but we have sent our friends from the UK down there for a couple of days...I'm very jealous!!!

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
That was a bit of a joke if you don't mind. And clearly stated, a generalization. I know one or two Canadians that are not into ANY of that :eek:)
As I said, maybe it's just B.C.
And no most of people I know are not rude and uneducated, but we're sure surrounded by them. I'm glad I don't know them.
I VERY much look forward to hanging out in other parts of Canada.
And please people, don't be offended. I'm just sharing what I see, I'm not making stuff up loaded with emotional negativity, I'm really not.

MandyUK!! That's hilarious, bring some of your British humour across the pond!
Where do you live if you don't mind?
I lived in South West London, and PROPORTIONALLY speaking, much more civilized place than small town B.C. that's for sure.
That's what I'm comparing!
tink23 said:
My father, as well as most of my male Canadian friends are not into any of: camping, fishing, hiking, trucks, engines, or tools. He has many friends to talk about many things to. I think you really need to start hanging around different places if most of the people you know are rude and uneducated.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
MandyUK said:
If you're coming to Canada, and you're a guy, be prepared to get into camping / fishing / hiking / like trucks, engines, tools, etc otherwise you may not have much to talk about!

hmm gonna have to let my hubby know he needs to learn one of these at least, otherwise he isnt canadian ::)
Or golf!! Luckily my fiancé loves golf so he is ok, he'd struggle with the rest of it....he's a bit of a metro-sexual (too much time in Brighton with pretty people! Lol)

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
AndreUK said:
- Canadian men don't need to make an effort to be attractive, in order to be attractive. I'm a man, but I feel sorry for the women. Most guys don't make an effort, but girls don't seem to mind. By that I don't only mean outward appearance, but a whole romanticism thing.
This is just one of the reasons I ended up marrying someone from outside Canada. The pastor at my church is from Scotland. He took me (single Mum at the time) to a job interview once when I needed a ride and after we went for lunch. He would not allow me to open the car door from the outside OR the inside. He always walked with me on the inside away from the street. He held the doors for me and when we crossed the street he would change sides to be the one closer to any on coming traffic. To too it off he wore a suit so he would look professional with me... LOL I have to say...I was flabbergasted that men like that actually still existed!! :eek: He told me his mother would kill him if she ever saw him let a woman open a door....LOL

But again if women here demanded it, it would not be such strange behaviour. Sure I am completely capable of opening a door....but there is something so sweet about a man that does it for you.

My husband is not as hard core as my pastor.....but I am working on it... :p ::)

You made another comment about Canadians being very superficial. Placing high importance on looks over personality. I can't tell you how annoying this is to me and how often I have experienced prejudice. So while I love Canada...like any other places there are negatives too and not so nice ones.

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
haha! Exactly!

But before anyone else disagrees with me, let me re-clarify I'm talking about B.C., and those are ALL generalizations!
Of course there are romantic men, and educated people and polite people and people that are not interested in those outdoorsy activities, etc.

As for the educated thing, I have a business degree and several courses in several different things, but I find myself alone and all my intelectual conversations are with my father-in-law (Canadian ex-pat, very educated!) some American relatives and church pastors. Church pastors read a lot and have a lot of interest in social sciences, and community creating, etc. In fact, they agree with me about the people aspects I mentioned. Especially as to how hard it is to form a community feel based church in this culture.
Even the "higher class" here is mostly formed by people that have made their wealth in sectors of either the construction or farming (dairy mostly) industries.
The doctors here are mostly South African. My wife works in an office and there's generally a VERY low level of office skill in this area. This is also evident as you try to deal with companies/services.

I do love Canada, but I do get tired of some of the stuff I see.
To be honest I'm from Brazil originally and as much as I miss a few aspects of the culture and all my family being there, the food, the beaches, the perosnal connection and genuine interest in people vs things. The negatives outnumber all of that in such extremes that I'd never consider moving there.
I really am grateful for the great nation of Canada and the fact that I'm able to be here!
I don't want to put anyone off, but you will come across maybe some of that and possibly disappointed. So come with your expectations in the right place and all is going to be great!

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
AndreUK said:
That was a bit of a joke if you don't mind. And clearly stated, a generalization. I know one or two Canadians that are not into ANY of that :eek:)
As I said, maybe it's just B.C.
And no most of people I know are not rude and uneducated, but we're sure surrounded by them. I'm glad I don't know them.
I VERY much look forward to hanging out in other parts of Canada.
And please people, don't be offended. I'm just sharing what I see, I'm not making stuff up loaded with emotional negativity, I'm really not.

MandyUK!! That's hilarious, bring some of your British humour across the pond!
Where do you live if you don't mind?
I lived in South West London, and PROPORTIONALLY speaking, much more civilized place than small town B.C. that's for sure.
That's what I'm comparing!
I live in Staffordshire, near a town called Cannock, I live by Cannock chase which if I squint a little and put my fingers over my eyes I could almost (i did say almost) be in somewhere in canada with all the trees lol :D Dont get me wrong its lovely here and not really much like you were discribing, but if you go 20 mins in either direction well yeah then you can see it. :(

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
shamsia said:
Found this during my surfing escapades: http://www.hotwic.com/view_293__FAQ.html

Yet, I believe it cant be all bad and that Canada has a lot to offer! :)
No idea where the writer lives but I found it to be about 99% false for the people I know of and have been around in 40+ years in Canada.

To the person that kept saying they found BC to be some sort of cultural wasteland I would suggest they are maybe just not hanging out in the right spots yet..

That whole article just seemed like a complete waste of bandwidth to me and I wish I could get back the two minutes it took me to read, what a complete waste of time... *shrug* I find it hard to believe that was not written totally tongue in cheek..

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
AndreUK said:
As for the educated thing, I have a business degree and several courses in several different things, but I find myself alone and all my intelectual conversations are with my father-in-law (Canadian ex-pat, very educated!) some American relatives and church pastors.
Hehehe, I'm sorry and I know its off topic but you have to admit it is at least a little bit funny... non?

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
MandyUK said:

You can tell your husband to rest easy, the above is nonsense. I have never camped, fished, hiked nor do I care about trucks, tools or engines.. and I have never had a problem finding other Canadians to talk to about a variety of subjects. This must be the stereotype thread, and poor ones at that.

Funny stuff this, I will have to mention to my next Lacanian study group that we are all heathens and have been found out by sharp eyed Immigrants hahaha