+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things To Know Before You Go To Canada...really?

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Yeah I agree, that original post is complete bulls**t :p It's like the person met a few rude people and decided they were a good sampling of Canadians to base their stereotype off of...

And I'm sorry, but at what banks can you not get a Visa or Mastercard?!?! Wtf. I'm sorry, but the whole thing is just untrue.

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
26/01/2011 (Buffalo received)
Med's Done....
10/2010
I laughed at the artical mainly because its total BS but they missed an important fact! It didn't mention Eh at all! I cant count the number of times I use that word a day and more the half the time I dont realize I use it until my hubby points it out lol

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
CandC2009 said:
I laughed at the artical mainly because its total BS but they missed an important fact! It didn't mention Eh at all! I cant count the number of times I use that word a day and more the half the time I dont realize I use it until my hubby points it out lol
My hubby stopped using it when he lived here for 10 years, and now he is back in Canada he has started using it again, and his accent has got stronger again *sigh* I love his accent, makes me fall in love with him all over again :)

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/2010
MandyUK said:
My hubby stopped using it when he lived here for 10 years, and now he is back in Canada he has started using it again, and his accent has got stronger again *sigh* I love his accent, makes me fall in love with him all over again :)
It's such a multi functional word, it fits easily into most sentences :) Soon you will be using it to :p (I've got my hubby saying it lol)

gotta love it eh!

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
Just for fun...no offence meant...

How do you spell Canada? Answer: C-Eh!-N-Eh!-D-Eh! This Canadian joke originated as follows:
The original name for Canada, dreamed up by a parliamentary committee in London, was "Cold North Dominion," but that was too long, so they abbreviated it to C.N.D. The King's Royal Governor presented the new name to the inhabitants, but they didn't say a word. "Well, what do you think?" asked the Royal Governor? "C, eh?" said the first fellow, and just looked at the Governor. "N, eh?" says the second guy. "D, eh?" says a third one. Then silence. "Hey," says the Governor. "I like that. It's a helluva lot easier to pronounce when you spell it that way."

I asked my Canadian friend to spell Canada for me was so funny when she realised what I had said to her and what she had said back...

And that's how Canada got its name. :) (Kidding!) :p

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
MandyUK said:

How do you spell Canada? Answer: C-Eh!-N-Eh!-D-Eh! This Canadian joke originated as follows:
The original name for Canada, dreamed up by a parliamentary committee in London, was "Cold North Dominion," but that was too long, so they abbreviated it to C.N.D. The King's Royal Governor presented the new name to the inhabitants, but they didn't say a word. "Well, what do you think?" asked the Royal Governor? "C, eh?" said the first fellow, and just looked at the Governor. "N, eh?" says the second guy. "D, eh?" says a third one. Then silence. "Hey," says the Governor. "I like that. It's a helluva lot easier to pronounce when you spell it that way."

Hahaha loll!!! Hilarious! Good one! ;D

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/2010
MandyUK said:

I asked my Canadian friend to spell Canada for me was so funny when she realised what I had said to her and what she had said back...

lmao nice! I'm going to have to share that one with my hubby and fam :) I like it :)

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
I think "eh" is such a regional thing too though! I mean, I don't think I know anyone here in Vancouver that uses it ever! But I know my uncle from northern BC uses it very frequently, and I think in Alberta it's more common as well.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
canuck0469 said:
I had to re-read the article as it makes you want to chuckle. I wouldn't phone the jerk back either
That's exactly what I said to my fiancé when I read the article!! And like confusednscared said "if you don't like it go home". I was fed up with England so I did something about it....I'd like it even less now I think!! (well, what's left of it anyway!)

saskact

Jan 30, 2011
Ok whoever wrote that article is an ass who has probably never even been to Canada. In reality Canada is one of the friendliest places in the world....Piss off Canada Haters.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
saskact said:
Ok whoever wrote that article is an ass who has probably never even been to Canada. In reality Canada is one of the friendliest places in the world....Piss off Canada Haters.
Nicely said!! Very poetic ;D

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
this much nicer...
http://correresmidestino.com/top-ten-reasons-i-love-canada/

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
Generalizations are never 100% true, but I think the person hit the spot many times.
It depends hugely on where you're from and where you've lived before.
I've been living in Canada for 4 years as an outside (extreme) observant, and I have to agree with many of those negative points, regardless of how inaccurately they were phrased.

DISCLAIMER: DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING POINTS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ROMANTIC THOUGHTS ABOUT CANADA. :)

- Many, if not most, Canadians think nothing of not replying to your emails, phone calls, or not following through with their word. Or saying "we should meet up sometime" and either not meaning, or meaning but no intentions of keeping it. From my perspective, Canadians are very flakey to say the least. Of course, not everyone, but proportionally way more than people in other countries. Another perspective on it would be to say that Canadians are non-confrontational and they WILL tell you things they don't mean. They are often not honest with you. Perhaps because of my next point:

- Canadians don't seem to know how to disagree and not take it personally. Or simply don't know how to NOT take most things personally. They seem to get way too easily offended.

- I've met many VERY nice Canadians, made quite a few lifelong friends, but it's taken 4 years to make as many friends as I made in about 1 month in London, UK. No exaggeration here! I'm talking mostly about quality here, not sheer quantity.

- I've been to dozens of countries but never to one with nearly as many drug addicts and "bums" and people on benefits as in Canada (I speak for B.C.)

- Also never been to a country including poor 3rd countries with as many uneducated people as in Canada, perhaps blame that on the good economy.. By that I mean, people that didn't go to college. In the area I live in B.C. I'd guess at least 80% of the people I know do not have a degree.
I'm originally from Sao Paulo, Brazil, where at least 90% of the people I know DO have a degree. And with a degree comes a whole mentality / way of thinking, analyzing / processing information, etc.

- Canadians in general are focused on the activity / task and compared to other cultures, they socialize very little (little need for socializing), and it's almsot always based on the task or activity and not on personal connection. You will catch yourself asking others "How are you?" and all you hear back is "good" as opposed to "good thanks and you?". A lot people treat sales / store clerks like robots, you will be amazed at how many people don't use the words "please" and "thanks" or even aknowledge the presence of another human being.

- You will find that Canadians in general are very compartmentalized in their thinking and have lots of "shoulds" of society and seem to have a very uneventful, unadventurous, unflamboyant, unexciting, predictable life. If I had to use a colour to describe this, that would be some shade of beige. In fact, funnily enough, most houses here are some sort of neutral colour such as beige. I really don't mean to offend anyone.
If you're married with children, pretty much only other people that are married with children will have an interest in you. If you, like us, are married with no children, then you're screwed, because Canadians automatically have kids when they get married :eek:) And people from other "groups" probably won't really accept you.

- I've never been to a country with as many uncultured, rude people with no manners, no holding doors for others, no consideration for others (parking int he middle of the street, not making room for others, walking in the middle of parking lots, not respecting public property, strata property. Or how about this one - never before I had seen so many neighbourhood conflicts, spiteful and childish behaviour, ROAD RAGE!!! The list goes on... if you don't agree, you have probably never lived in a more civilized country.

- Canadian men don't need to make an effort to be attractive, in order to be attractive. I'm a man, but I feel sorry for the women. Most guys don't make an effort, but girls don't seem to mind. By that I don't only mean outward appearance, but a whole romanticism thing.

- If you're coming to Canada, and you're a guy, be prepared to get into camping / fishing / hiking / like trucks, engines, tools, etc otherwise you may not have much to talk about! ;D

The funniest thing is the outer appearance sort of hides a lot of the above mentioned. There's huge emphasis on looks in everything here including people (compared to other countries..) it took us about 6 months in Canada to start seeing this stuff, until then, everything seemed amazing, and consistently seems amazing to friends / family who visit Canada.

Please note I'm NOT bitter, I love many things about Canada. I absolutely LOVE my Canadian family as my own, but I suppose they are an exception like many others in this huge country. The natural beauty in B.C. can not be matched. The economy is great, The government policies are mostly better than other countries I can think of.
Note 2 - My Canadian wife would agree with everything I wrote here. Mind you she has lots of international experience. I suppose for people who don't, Canada could be a perfect country.

We're settling in Canada, but we accept the negatives, they can't be ignored. We just choose to focus on the positive!

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
AndreUK said:
- I've never been to a country with as many uncultured, rude people with no manners, no holding doors for others, no consideration for others (parking int he middle of the street, not making room for others, walking in the middle of parking lots, not respecting public property, strata property. Or how about this one - never before I had seen so many neighbourhood conflicts, spiteful and childish behaviour, ROAD RAGE!!! The list goes on... if you don't agree, you have probably never lived in a more civilized country.
But you've been in the UK??? People's attitudes and selfishness was one of the main reasons that I decided to come back to Canada. That's why love this forum, I'm always fascinated by people's different opinions on stuff

The natural beauty in B.C. can not be matched.
Except in Alberta ;)

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
I thought he was on about the UK cause he discribed where I live to a tee :p Yes! Alberta is a beautiful place to live.