+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to do

ghohoef

Apr 12, 2004
Amstelveen, NL
Dear all new comers,

Here are a couple of things I would like to share with before you land:

Make sure you do your home work. Make your resume Canadian like. Each country has its own rules as to how your resume should look like. For an example take a look at monster.ca or Workopolis. Explore the labour market in your specific region (province).
Do your networking. One thing I learned is that only 20% of the jobs are posted on job sites like Monster.ca and Workopolis. Meaning that 80% is not advertised. So, do not focus on what you see but try to discover on what you do not see. One way to tap in the hidden-job market is by networking. You can do this practically every where, contact the trade associate of your profession for info.
Also, very important, make sure you contact the trade profession in Canada to see whether your diploma (from your local country) will be accepted here. Now this is very important because for your application this might earn you points but that does not mean that you will find a job on the same level as in your home country. So, make sure you do this prior to your landing so you can prepare to start a job at a lower level and research what will be needed as far as education. Starting at a lower level is not a bad thing. Especially if its in the profession you studied for. This is an opportunity to establish local references as well as local experience and for your networking. Things that you can only achieve while at work here. Try to get in contact a community centre to get in touch with an employment counselor. These people can assist you, for free, to help writing your resume and cover letter as well as tell you about the labour market and more.
Here is a link to company website. Hopefully this will help you on your way in securing a job faster. Its also something different then Monster.ca and Workopolis.

http://www.spectrumjobsearch.com/joblinkindex.htm

I am sure there is a whole lot more but these are just a couple of things that crossed my mind and that I would like to share with you.

Good luck.
Gerrit